Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Default Gearbox wont kick down

Hey guys started the car yesterday when leaving work and the AU Fairlane V8 i have idled a bit rough. I thought that it was strange so i headed straight to the local Ford dealership. On the way there i noticed the gearbox wouldnt kickdown and was in 3rd gear but it will manually change to 2nd and 1st but cant get 4th. Anyone ever had this happen? It has the mechanics a bit lost.

greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Its in limp mode, check tps, speed sensor, etc.
Old 15-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Apparently they ruled out limp mode. Would the diagnostic computer show up limp mode?
Old 15-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a scan tool should show some sort of code....have you had any work done on the car recently??
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Yeah its been in heaps of times for warranty stuff. Just about out now so i really just want it fixed so i dont have to go back there anymore. I just found out yesterday that it has a LSD i didnt know because it runs like a S/S!!! Is there any mechanics on the Mid North Coast of NSW that actually give a about their customers cars?
Old 16-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Whatever is wrong with it, it should show up on the scanner, and i can not think of anything none electrical that would do what your talking about.

in this case limp mode would probably get discarded pretty easily cause you can manually shift 1st 2nd, normally it just locks up into 3rd, which is why i say you should look at your throttle position sensor, cause it can do this exactly as mentioned and it only needs to go out .1 volt to do it.

Sounds like gear selection switch is working ok cause it shift's 1st and 2nd, which is reads off the switch and then electronically changes it, unless its dirty in one gear spot, but then if it was you would put car in 2nd and it would still drive off and go 1st and change into 2nd itself.

vehicle speed sensor could also cause the issue's, cause the ecu doesn't know how fast it's going to change gears. but i'd doubt it would be your issue, cause your speedo obviously still works, and therefore it would have to be noisy at which it should still work ok sometimes and not others.

Do you have a multimeter or access to one? TPS is very easy to set and replace.
Old 16-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

What should the exact voltage be at the TPS?
Old 16-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it should be over 0.8volts, but not over 1 volt, most people try and set it to 0.99v, but i'd stick to more like 0.95v cause of inconsistancy in closing throttle postions after time, and unacurate multimetre's etc. It should be set off the earth wire on the tps not engine or anything else, as this will change the value.

Too high tps voltage won't cause tran's issues like yours but will put engine in part throttle mode instead of idle mode, it will also cause the trans converter etc to stay locked up when you remove throttle while driving.

If the tps voltage drops out at all to below 0.5volt it will trip tps fail switch, and like that will happen if it fails at any point in the tps range, you may not even find a spot in it on the multimetre and yet it could still be faulty.

What you should do is put multimetre on with engine not running and measure it and slowly increase throttle and look for a dropout in voltage, it should slowly increase the voltage to a peak of about 4.5volts, so if in doing it you suddenly get a low voltage, its a definent sign its faulty.
Old 16-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the tps wire colours are red/green/black, black is gnd/earth, and green is the output. Red should be 5volts which comes from the ecu.
Old 17-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Thanks for the info mate. I will be ringing the dealer this morning.
Old 17-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

Do you manual shift down gears by anychance?

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

BLACKAUXR8 I havent as i have only had the car for 10 weeks and i dont rate the gearbox as being strong enough to do that. I rung the dealer this arvo and they are replacing the PCM under warranty. Fingers crossed.
Old 23-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #13
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Thanks for all your responses guys. It turns out that it was the computer that had shat itself. Replaced under warranty.