Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Default Front suspension replacement after 170K?

I had noticed a squeaking sound coming from the front left whilst driving recently. A bit of hunting around for the noise led me to the suspension.

I took it to a mechanic and left it with him for the day, to receive a call saying that both the suspension units will need to be replaced with a cost of around $500.

So my question is how long do the factory shocks last? As i said its done 170K, and is a 2000 AUII falcon. Has not been replaced since built.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Obviously depends on the roads youve driven on but I would say 170,000kms is a good run from a set of shocks.
Old 20-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Bump.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
Bump.
Yes thats what noise stuffed shocks make and did you not like my opinion?
Old 20-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Yes thats what noise stuffed shocks make and did you not like my opinion?
Obviously not, odd considering it was halfway decent advice. 170k out of any consumable item on a vehicle is good going I would have thought.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Mate the original shocks are on the decline from 70000k's so driving on 170000 worn units she must be handling like a POS.
Noise's if anything could be coming from the top bush mounts being flogged or other worn bush's as well if nothing else has been renewed.
Rack mounts, sway bar bush's, castor rods, upper lower control arms to name a few.
One thing for sure replacing the front struts you will feel a massive improvement in handling,braking distances yaddayaddayadda....
I suggest if the rear shocks are still originals change them as well sooner rather than later.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post