Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
balthazarr

Default Vic: More speed cameras, higher fines (mobiles/seatbelts)...

From: http://www.theage.com.au/national/fi...1118-69zq.html

'Penalties for talking on a mobile phone while driving or not wearing seatbelts in a car will skyrocket 50% to $226.84 cents among initiatives to cut Victoria's road toll.

In other measures, there will be more speed cameras and more drug testing of drivers, which will almost double from 22,000 drug tests to 42,000 per year.

Victorian Roads Minister Tim Pallas said on Tuesday 30 per cent of drivers involved in fatal car accidents in Victorian roads had traces of one or more drugs in their blood.

He said that talking on a mobile phone while driving increased by four times the risk of an accident.

Last year 332 people died on Victorian roads - the road toll this year stands at 272.

Mr Pappas said speed cameras were an important part of the government's road safety strategy.

"If motorists do not want to lose money to speed cameras, the message is simple - slow down," Mr Pallas said.

Victoria Police also launched its biggest-ever traffic enforcement operation and will have a heavy presence on the roads over the Christmas-New Year holiday period.

Assistant Commissioner of Traffic and Transit safety Ken Lay said motorists who drink-drive in the festive period or ignore the speed limit will get caught.

"This operation is not about writing tickets - it is about changing motorists' behaviour and holding people accountable for doing the wrong thing," Mr Lay said.

AAP'

No doubt this thread will be closed, but here goes...

I have no problem with increased drug testing, or higher fines for talking on mobiles.

But more speed cameras? Government short on funds, are they? I'm just waiting for the day when there's a "safety" camera on every intersection... and why not, the things more than pay for themselves.

What Mr Lay says about it 'not [being] about writing tickets' makes no sense... if they don't write tickets, how are they going to make any change in behaviour?

Actually... it does make sense... because they're not writing tickets... it's all automated. :

As to the heavy police presence... GOOD. Bring them on. That's what we need - more police... police that can actually catch the idiots on the road, not some automaton camera that catches drivers "speeding" 3km/h over the limit.

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

ffs. It's a complete freaking joke the way the state government bases their entire road safety campain on speed. It's not the drivers who go 5-10kph over the limit that kill. It's not paying attention that causes most accidents. These morons who change lanes without looking, are impatient and force their way into gaps that aren't there, and pull out in front of considerably faster traffic.

If the government needs more money, why don't they start enforcing the "Keep left unless overtaking" rule? They'd make a fortune, finally we wouldn't constantly be stuck behind slow moving Camrys, and people would be less frustrated. Frustration causes impatience which can cause accidents.

As for more police, bring them on. I'd prefer them than speed cameras because they show discretion. If someone is driving dangerously they will be charged. If they're doing 110 in a 100kph stretch of dead straight freeway, the police generally leave well enough alone... as it should be. This whole "Big Brother" attitude that the government is adopting is absolutely disgraceful and has turned a generation of drivers into mindless drones who trundle along 20kph under the speed limit in fear that wandering over a couple of kph will leave them with a nasty surprise in the mail several weeks later.

I drive at the speed limit. That's why I haven't had a speeding fine in about 6.5 years. I believe in driving to the conditions and if the roads are greasy or there are serious hazards I will drive under it. But most speed limits are set way too low anyway. 100kph on a lot of freeways feels rather tiring and monotonous. To have most of the Monash freeway at 80 because the lanes are slightly narrower than they should be is even worse. If you can't stay within the lines at 100, you shouldn't be on the road anyway. Basically it's time for people to start taking responsibility for their own actions rather than have the government do it for us.

Sorry about my long reply, but I had a lot to get off my chest. Unfortunately it's probably just going to keep getting worse and worse, with speed limits constantly getting lowered, and speed cameras and fines increasing. Maybe one day the government will realise that more and more speed cameras is doing nothing to the road toll, but even if they did, they'd still be enjoying their revenue too much. Shame government shame.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Welcome to Victoria....its a fine state!!
Old 18-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
BLDNUT01

I would agree concentration and impatient drivers then taxi,s would be cause of most colisions
Old 18-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i would say that 90% of all accidents are caused by people looking at their speedo's instead of where they are going!!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it that the the gummint is always so vocal about policing initiatives against motorists and is proud to let the public know the amount of time, tax payers money and police man-power they are dedicating towards pinning people for the truly hanus "crime" of travelling 5 kays over the limit?

Where are the initiatives to stop / prevent violence, rape, murder, robery, etc, etc - you know, the very real crimes that are effecting people on a daily basis.

I guess it's easier to target the motorist and report on the sucess of doing so than admitting to the public that you are far-king HOPELESS at convicting real criminals because it's made too bloody hard to do so!!!
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

And its easier to target speed because technology can do this for them, rather than concentrate on driver inattention and stupidity which are actually the real main causes for accidents.

However its good they are also going to penalise drivers harder driving while using mobile phones. It is quite obvious following a driver thats on a mobile, their speed varies along with the steering inputs. A real danger, and frustrating, especially when they passed going faster just before the phone call.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
However its good they are also going to penalise drivers harder driving while using mobile phones. It is quite obvious following a driver thats on a mobile, their speed varies along with the steering inputs. A real danger, and frustrating, especially when they passed going faster just before the phone call.
Agreed. But part of the problem with the cameras is it makes it less likely for them to have police policing the roads, which, of course, you need to catch the idiots on the phone/cutting people off, tailgating, etc.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #9
Steve
torque is your friend

There's some great posts on this thread; Dezza and FalconXR6 in particular. I couldn't agree more.
Old 18-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #10
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I am all for increased penalties in regard to distracted driving type offenses such as using mobile phones. There are no excuses in not wearing a seat belt unless you have a Vic Roads approved medical exemption. I personally think the penalties for speeding are high enough but the tolerances are too low.

Dezza, good post, I agree.
Old 19-11-2008, 03:03 AM   #11
predator_230
Fairmont GXL

What Dezza said, spot on. I also love how they make it seem that the road toll is on the rise without considering the fact that every year theres a shite load more P platers on the road than the previous and not to mention all the people that choose to live in this "fine" state of ours from other states.
Go figure.
predator_230 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
Wally
XP Coupe

This been posted before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noTllmqWjOU
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Victorian Govt is about to go into debt from a position of budget surplus for the first time in a long time, due mainly to increased handouts and a reduction in revenue from stamp-duty from reduced property sales....
Id expect more "voluntary" taxes to increase..

http://business.smh.com.au/business/...1113-65tg.html

Last edited by 4Vman; 19-11-2008 at 10:56 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Well said Dez, I couldn't agree more.

I would be willing to bet that the increased number of speed cameras will continue to do nothing to the amount of people killling themselves each year.

I would also bet that if the money allocated to the extra speed cameras, TAC adverts & other ninja revenue raising tactics was re-directed to putting more police in marked cars on the road, then the road fatality numbers will fall...

We all get the feeling that saving lives is a secondary priority to keeping themselves in the black, why can't they just admit it?

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
Well said Dez, I couldn't agree more.

I would be willing to bet that the increased number of speed cameras will continue to do nothing to the amount of people killling themselves each year.

I would also bet that if the money allocated to the extra speed cameras, TAC adverts & other ninja revenue raising tactics was re-directed to putting more police in marked cars on the road, then the road fatality numbers will fall...

We all get the feeling that saving lives is a secondary priority to keeping themselves in the black, why can't they just admit it?
I think the Govt is serious about saving lives but also maintaining a budgetary surplus...

The problem is motorists make it far too easy for them to collect revenue from. It is after all a "voluntary" tax..
I bet we'd all kick and squeal far more if we had to pay an extra $500 levy each year on our rego to compensate the loss of income if fixed camera's were dropped wouldnt we.. its easier for them to hide the collection in fines..

Old 19-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
NYTEYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
If the government needs more money, why don't they start enforcing the "Keep left unless overtaking" rule?
I thought this only applied to speeds of 80km/h and over??
NYTEYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #17
fos408

What do you mean you are waiting for the day there is one on every corner ,these is now .I am glad I moved to Sydney ,at least here you actually get a chance to watch where you are driving instead of looking at just your speedo.Last fine in Melbourne 6km over going down hill ,what a joke
fos408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #18
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTEYZ
Even if it does, they still don't enforce it. How often are you stuck behind 2 cars side-by-side on a freeway, about 10-20kph under the 100-110kph speedlimit? It's worst when you're chugging along like this, and there is nothing but open road with no traffic in front of them. I prefer to just set the cruise control and sit at the speed limit.

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
Old 19-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
Even if it does, they still don't enforce it. How often are you stuck behind 2 cars side-by-side on a freeway, about 10-20kph under the 100-110kph speedlimit? It's worst when you're chugging along like this, and there is nothing but open road with no traffic in front of them. I prefer to just set the cruise control and sit at the speed limit.
It happens occasionally, more like 5-10k below the 100/110 limit, usually one passing the other slowly.. but you just need to be patient... it rarely takes more than a min or 2 for a safe opportunity to present itself to pass without fuss....
Patience is the solution here. The right lane "hog" is an annoyance, the lack of patience is the safety risk.

Last edited by 4Vman; 19-11-2008 at 12:17 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
It happens occasionally, more like 5-10k below the 100/110 limit, usually one passing the other slowly.. but you just need to be patient... it rarely takes more than a min or 2 for a safe opportunity to present itself to pass without fuss....
Patience is the solution here. The right lane "hog" is an annoyance, the lack of patience is the safety risk.
True. Sometimes they don't though. I do cop the 20kph under ones a LOT though. I'm not an impatient driver. I just hate having to constantly disengage my cruise control as it's not the easiest to set in the EA. Buttons get a little dodgy, and don't always like to work first go. I always make sure it's safe before passing though. No forcing my way into a tiny gap barely big enough for the EA

Old 19-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #21
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unlike their speeding campaigns, i think that the phone and seatbelt campaign might actually make a difference, why? because i have almost been taken out that many times by people yapping on the phone and not concentrating, maybe if they loose more money they wont do it.

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #22
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Their are a few choice words to describe this, all of them blocked by the swear filter.
Old 19-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #23
maccamom
Terri Enthusiast

New numberplate footer

VICTORIA - The Nanny State
Old 19-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #24
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamom
New numberplate footer

VICTORIA - The Nanny State
Its been like this for several years now and i can see its only going to get worse
Old 19-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #25
Steve
torque is your friend

Call me cynical but isn't it odd how this is announced at about the same time as the announcement that the Vic State Govt's surplus plunged by more than $300 million to just $96 million? Someone's trying to boost income.

Edit: I see 4Vman has beaten me to it.
Old 19-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTEYZ
Speeds *above* 80 or otherwise signposted.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #27
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The problem is motorists make it far too easy for them to collect revenue from. It is after all a "voluntary" tax..
Not if the cameras are faulty, which has been proven in the past.

There's currently some suspicion on the cameras on Eastlink at the Wellington Road bridge.

I have no faith in the camera system and no trust in it either. Too many blunders and errors over the years.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #28
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fight back and get a undectable radar detector, they are the way forward and good insurance and peace of mind when driving. Why risk losing your licence for a couple of kms over the limit?
Old 19-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #29
GUTLES
Adam.

I got done about a month ago. Cop was sitting at a speed change - 110-100km infront of the second 100km sign. When he pulled me over he said i was doing 107km in a 100 zone & I said 'Yeah I was slowing down from 110-100'. He handed me the fine & I noticed the location was 2 towns up & said its not right, all I got was 'thats your word against mine, we're in the next suburb now'

Bah I should of fighted it, but its hard without any witness's..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post