Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Bolly
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Jacking the Car

Hi Guys
Is there a problem using a trolly jack directly under the diff centre,The car is a XR8 AU2.......
I looked underneath last night but it was hard to see with the large exhaust pipes being in the way.. Reason of concern is it looks like the Diff centre is be made out of aluminium..
Cheers

Bolly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

That would be the IRS cradle you are looking at. I've jacked mine up from there before and so have others without any issues.

Personally I prefer to use the jacking points on either side and then axle stands.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
dreadly
Banned

Fine to use the diff
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 04:01 AM   #4
Bolly
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that guys
Old 18-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its IRS you shouldnt jack on diff as it can put the tailshaft balance out as they are laser balanced....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

I think you mean tailshaft alignment, not balance. The tailshaft is suppost to be align to be perfectly straight at the rear uni. At which being that the diff centre is rubber mounted, i'd have to agree with waggaclint and say that we probably shouldn't be lifting it by the diff centre, although i have many times.
Old 18-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
T3man
Banned

Yeah, just jack under the diff - and then book your car in for diff mounts and tailshaft alignment - which will prolly only cost a few hundred tokens.

OR - you could jack under the designated points and that will cost you ... actually, NOTHING! WOW, that's a bargain!

PS. Up front you could also jack under the alloy crossmember - it's not all that expensive to replace if you crack it - I've seen PLENTY of THESE!!!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
Bolly
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the that guy`s ..Lucky i asked first before i did any damaged ..
T3man..I was wondering about the alloy Crossmember...I`ll have to get some Ramps..
My trolly jack seems useless on this car..I can`t jack from the side of the car unless i buy another Trolly jack to put on the other side to evenly jack the front or rear of the car..What a hassle.. Should have kept my EB V8.. :-) Just Kidding
Old 18-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
T3man
Banned

Yes, they are difficult for the home-handyman - and then you should try a T-Series - I have to drive mine onto wooden chocks to get enough ground clearance for the floor jack to even slide under the sills to reach the jacking points. I have seen heaps of AUs (and B Series) damaged by incorrect jacking. Some people get away with it some of the time, but if you're an unlucky sod like me it only takes one "bad" decision to cost you a heap of grief ... AND DOLLARS!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
dreadly
Banned

Sorry didnt know about irs... mines a ute ;)
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post