Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
mr302xd
Formerly MR BAXR6t

Default Knocking front end

Hi all

Last couple of days ive got a knocking noise comung from the front drivers side wheel. It only really happens when turning.
How can i explain..... Say im turning right, as soon as some "weight" is put on the wheel i get 1 clonk. Now i wont get another clonk if i turn right again, only if i turn left, and vice versa.
Hope that made sence??

Any advice appreciated

Cheers Frank

Fords ive owned-
2010 FG XR6 5 speed auto in Mystic
81 XD S-Pac 302c 4sp manual
78 Yellow TE Cortina Wagon 4.1L
92 Green EB Fairmont GT replica
01 Black AU XR8 II Manual
04 Rapid BAII XR6T 220rwkw
04 Mandarin BA XR6T 247rwkw
07 BF II XR6T 385rwkw
1980 ZJ Fairlane 302c
mr302xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

have you lowered the car? its possible that the strut is starting to give out and as you turn it allows the spring to move giving the clunk. it wont happen again until u have turned the oppisite directio n to unsettle it again. try tightening your strut bolts (17mm nuts). but it is definitly spring related if its just one clunk when u turn until u turn the opposite direction and back again.
good luck

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 AM   #3
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Sounds like a ball joint to me, i've just had to replace mine doin similar.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
5L
[ 5L ]

mine does it on hot days, im guessing steering rack for my car.

on cold days or nights it doesnt make a noise at all though. and i barely drive in the day anyway so it is on the waiting list.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

ball joint is a constant knocking...this is one knock untill he turns opposite direction and back again. and shane yours may be ball joints too. next time ur driving through the day...listen for it. the knocking will be more audible while driving along and hitting bumps in the road as it travells with the suspension. mine did this and i was completely lost as to what it was as the knocking was only occuring on hot days or when i had been driving a certain distance. i had even checed the ball joints for movement, but they were fine when they were cold. one day i checked them after a long drive and was getting really annoyed about the noise....sure enough, it was ball joints. all i did was lift the front and move the stering left and right and grab the tyre at the top and the bottom adn push the top and pull the bottom a couple of times and i saw ....and heard, enough to confirm that it was the ball joints. i replaced top and bottom, work on about $15 each, and the bottom ones are usually cheaper. be sure to do both sides, as usually if one side has gone, the other side wont be too far off.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Sway Bar D rubbers!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sway bar D bushes tend to cause a constant rattling bump, especially over small bumps in the road.

It wouldnt hurt to have a suspension mob have a look underneath it. Even if its just something thats loose; shock mounts, ball joints, even some bolts being a tiny bit loose can cause the bump that you're talking about.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
mr302xd
Formerly MR BAXR6t

Thanx for the iput guys wil check it out this arvo

cheers frank

Fords ive owned-
2010 FG XR6 5 speed auto in Mystic
81 XD S-Pac 302c 4sp manual
78 Yellow TE Cortina Wagon 4.1L
92 Green EB Fairmont GT replica
01 Black AU XR8 II Manual
04 Rapid BAII XR6T 220rwkw
04 Mandarin BA XR6T 247rwkw
07 BF II XR6T 385rwkw
1980 ZJ Fairlane 302c
mr302xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
NYTEYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
have you lowered the car? its possible that the strut is starting to give out and as you turn it allows the spring to move giving the clunk. it wont happen again until u have turned the oppisite directio n to unsettle it again. try tightening your strut bolts (17mm nuts). but it is definitly spring related if its just one clunk when u turn until u turn the opposite direction and back again.
good luck
This is happening to me so i'm going to tighten the bolts, should i take the weight off the wheel or will be right to tighten when grounded?
NYTEYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I had the exact noise you are talking about, only when turning and only when going slow. It was a sort of crack/clunk noise and would only happen when the wheels were turned right hand down and then I'd get the same thing going back left hand down.

Replaced ball joints and the noise was gone.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I had the exact noise you are talking about, only when turning and only when going slow. It was a sort of crack/clunk noise and would only happen when the wheels were turned right hand down and then I'd get the same thing going back left hand down.

Replaced ball joints and the noise was gone.
well i just figured out another problem... thanks guys.

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
Nutcase
Starter Motor

Thank you thank you thank you this is exactly what I'm having and it's driving me nuts!
Nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post