Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Pup_87
BA Wagon

Cool Roo Lite... Anyone had them???

hey guys,

I need to get a new set of spotties as the last roo i hit decided to kill my old ones. I'm wondering if anyone has had a set of Roo Lites...

I was looking at lightforce 170's but the roo lites are so much cheaper I cant ignore them.

Evan

So what you are asking is if you have an automatic licence even if it is upgraded to manual automatically can it be upgraded manually by sitting for a manual test and if passed the automatic licence is automatically upgraded but if failed is the automaic licence automatically failed as well and do you have to read the road safety manual to sit for the manual upgrade or does the automatic licence test of the road safety manual automatically cover the manual test as well?
Pup_87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Roo lights are a marketing term for what are effectively 180mm driving lamps, but with adjustable beam and focus (broad to spot). Probably in other sizes. For what I can see overpriced in my view, like many.

Save a few bucks-up and perhaps try for a set of DL HIDs. Otherwise, 160-220m, halogen DL's, but with the bulbs replaced wit PLUS 50 or PLUS 60 type (Phillips have the latter).

Many options and type.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I don't have them but knew a guy who did and he was rapped in them. They are basically a Lightforce copy but in slightly different sizes to avoid the legals. They even use the same globes. The only thing with them is that you can't get the various interchangable lense covers like with genuine Lightforce, so no spread beam or blue or yellow variants.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Pup_87
BA Wagon

Thanks Keep left/Bushbasher.

I just found this on the net:

http://www.4wddirect.com.au/scart/html/328.html

The lightforce are 170mm and the roo's are 180mm as you said. its the fact that they're about $100 cheaper and if they have a 1 yr warranty then its worth a go!
So what you are asking is if you have an automatic licence even if it is upgraded to manual automatically can it be upgraded manually by sitting for a manual test and if passed the automatic licence is automatically upgraded but if failed is the automaic licence automatically failed as well and do you have to read the road safety manual to sit for the manual upgrade or does the automatic licence test of the road safety manual automatically cover the manual test as well?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I stand corrected, I just looked at your link and it appears you can now get blue and yellow lenses........... but still no spread beam.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I don't need my Lightforce 240s anymore ... so might sell them actually.
They are strong though (something I have heard that the RooLites aren't).

I haven't changed a globe in my set for 3 years ... and they got a lot of country/rural usage as well.

In tersm of strength ... a chunk of coal came off a truck on on the New England Hwy .... coming the opposite direction .. both of us were doing about 100km/h. I saw the coal at the last second and had not time to avoid it (it was larger than the size of my fist). It hit the top of my left LF driving light and took off over the roof. Not a marke left on the light at all ... and the combo filter I had on the front didn't get marked either.

If I had no lights on the nudgebar I reckon that would have come through my windscreen.

And there's a coupe of occasions where I have had to try and avoid wallabies on Putty Rd of a morning on the way to work ... and they have bounces off the nudgebar and driving lights (at a reduced speed when trying to avoid them) ... no damage luckily.

Roolites are manufactured by KC if i remember correctly.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Hey Pup, go for Mechan1ks' 240's mate, you won't regret it, I can attest to the fact they are tough as nails. I've got 240s' and ya can't kill 'em with a hammer let alone a stick. I mate had 4 on the front of a Hino bread truck and collected a big mutha red roo one night that slammed the 2 on the passenger side back into the bonnet of the truck after flexing the bullbar back far enough to mark the bonnet and all he did was get out and straighten the lights up and carry on, not a mark on them. One left a hell of a dent in the bonnet of the truck though. I love my 240s'. :

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 07-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Got the big roolites on my landcruiser, They are OK for what they cost. Only beef I have is the adjuster for the focus keeps rattling loose
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Hey Pup, go for Mechan1ks' 240's mate, you won't regret it, I can attest to the fact they are tough as nails. I've got 240s' and ya can't kill 'em with a hammer let alone a stick. I mate had 4 on the front of a Hino bread truck and collected a big mutha red roo one night that slammed the 2 on the passenger side back into the bonnet of the truck after flexing the bullbar back far enough to mark the bonnet and all he did was get out and straighten the lights up and carry on, not a mark on them. One left a hell of a dent in the bonnet of the truck though. I love my 240s'. :

Bushbasher
Funny i drive trucks for a living and have never seen a bonneted Hino in my Life ( there baby cab over's), i have used Cibi oscars in the past with 120w globes, mate you could cook a roo before it was anywhere near your car
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the tests that is mentioned in the Lightforce catelogue is they empty a Remmington SPAS 12 shot-gun into them and 6ft IIRC, without leaving a mark.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
Funny i drive trucks for a living and have never seen a bonneted Hino in my Life ( there baby cab over's),
I drive trucks for a living too. So what's the front panel that flips up to reveal the brake booster, washer bottle, all the hydrolics and pnumatics that run off the pedals etc. then?; you know, the one that is released by the cable operated latch inside the cabin under the dash .......... hmmm, sounds like a bonnet catch don't it. Just cos it hangs vertically and not horizontally doesn't mean it's not a bonnet.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Maybe it's called a front panel just like you said or an inspection panel, go into a trucks spares or dealer and ask for a bonnet for a Hino, Isuzu or Mitzi, anyway aren't bonnets what baby's wear LOL
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
TCK-098

I had Roo lites on the front of Hino FD i used to drive up from brisbane to cairns and for the price of them compared to a Lightforce item i was impressed and as for oscars and all the other named Gear to me they look the same and do the same job it comes down to how silly you are prepared to pay for lights you cant use all the time anyhow.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Haven't tried the Roo Lites, but it'd take a good light for me to change from my current Rallye 4000's. They're great!
Lightforce are tops too, we've got them fitted to all of our Hilux's at work.
They do a great job.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
Pup_87
BA Wagon

I decided to go for the Roo Lites. i got the 180mm @ $265. the Lightforce were 170mm @ $375. In the end it came down to cost. the Roo Lites have a 1 yr warranty so you cant really go wrong. i lined up a mates car who has just bought the Lightforce 170's next to mine last night and you cannot tell the difference. I'm very impressed with them so far but i'm heading to Canberra on thursday night so i shall report back in when i get home and let you know how they go.

I agree Dazza, the 4000's are one of the best around but were just a little to large and heavy for my application. If i had a Tuff Bar like yours then i would have gone for them.