Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #61
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
fairly stupid, not the first or the last though.

heard of one bloke get caught doing 300+km/h in a 70 zone somewhere in canberra..
Rubbish. The bloke in question is an ex-member here, now living up your way. While at a local show'n'shine which included a police car or two on exhibit, he conversed with the friendly officer who did him up a real (but not real) ticket showing 260 odd in a 60 zone. He then used to stick it on his windscreen at various show'n'shines, including the FPV open day a few years ago.

But I guess now it has become an urban legend, so your version is probably the truth.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #62
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahaha what a smartass
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #63
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
although i'd be scared as, i watched a video on youtube yesterday of a Merc AMG - looked like an SL55 on the autobarn. he lost it and flipped off the inside guard rails at 240km's(thats what it said anyway), slid on his roof for about 300m crossed the road back to the outside(missing 2 cars) and came off into the grass which then flipped it back over and it finally stopped and the hardtop roof flew off as it did so. the (incredibly lucky) driver then got out, walked up the embankment and kinda flopped onto his ***. woulda been a wild ride!
IIRC, that was Mark Webber in the Merc CLK-GTR at Hockenheim LeMans in 1999. Merc called it quits for the day with the other benz and the mobil GTR1 followed suit with comprable aero. Wild ride indeed.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #64
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/ho...0904-49b0.html

Quote:
Hoon's Porsche was not speeding: police
Hinted by others in thread - ^
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #65
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Righteo kids. Let this be a little case study in media beatups. Exhibit A Your Honour.

At first it was 300kph. Then we went to 200kph. Now we're talking the speed limit (assumedly 100kph). Only a marginal difference of 200kph from original reports........ :yeees:
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #66
fox76
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes but what was the exact point to point distance and exact time?

I suspect that he was not pulled over outside the post office. If he was seen 5km out of Australind and pulled over 4 km from Herron and the 25-30 minutes was actually 27 minutes then the average speed was about 115.

If 31 minutes then 100km/h.

If 6 and 7 km and 25-30 minutes....etc etc etc.

They admitted they had no idea of how fast. For them to do that means they probably have no evidence whatsoever.

What is the bet that a scruby in a camry was overtaken and rang "dob a hoon" to set the whole thing in motion.

Having been in that position myself, I was lucky that my scruby was such a dropkick that his exaggerated story could not physically be true and the coppers then gave him a hard time.
61 km in 27 mins is 135.5 kph but your point is taken. We do not know what actually happened and are relying on a questionable media report. As for no evicence of speeding I am sure the cops have worked out this average speed already and layed the charges. Wait and see if the media pick up the court result (if any)
fox76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #67
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

Geez...good old channel 7!

Sensationalism much? : :
Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #68
FPV GT40
Banned

I love this quote from the media write up.

Quote: "excessive wheel spin caused the Posche to doughnut."

They have no idea what they are talking about have they... :
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #69
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
IIRC, that was Mark Webber in the Merc CLK-GTR at Hockenheim LeMans in 1999. Merc called it quits for the day with the other benz and the mobil GTR1 followed suit with comprable aero. Wild ride indeed.
nah man this wasnt Le Mans, this was the real deal, a normal bloke on the Autobarn(public road) with people also travelling around

The cops wont make anything but the "hoon" charge stick. they cannot prove that he travelled that distance in that time because they cant prove that he was actually at the first place "a speeding porsche driver" was seen
Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #70
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

ah, my bad.

lol @ the media though, funny how the cops managed to remove the keys after the burnout 180... the driver really must have made a mess of the gears, lol.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #71
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Webber flipped his car in qualifying, and then again in the warm up for the actual race.

The Mercedes that crashed in the actual race was driven by Peter Dumbreck. It was an ultimate brown-pants moment:

1999 Le-Mans Mercedes Crash
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #72
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdH-J6UoYI

there thats the link to the video. as featured on the worlds wildest crashes im assuming by the presenters voice(worlds wildest police chases guy)
Old 05-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #73
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Rubbish. The bloke in question is an ex-member here, now living up your way. While at a local show'n'shine which included a police car or two on exhibit, he conversed with the friendly officer who did him up a real (but not real) ticket showing 260 odd in a 60 zone. He then used to stick it on his windscreen at various show'n'shines, including the FPV open day a few years ago.

But I guess now it has become an urban legend, so your version is probably the truth.
ahh my bad, a mate of mine who went to GC AFD saw the slip sitting on his car, told me it said 301kph in a 70 or something like that.
thanks for that mate
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #74
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdH-J6UoYI

there thats the link to the video. as featured on the worlds wildest crashes im assuming by the presenters voice(worlds wildest police chases guy)
Frikken sissy. If he had any balls he would have just booted it back onto the road and carried on his way.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #75
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

While also proceeding to buff it out.

Nice crash!

-------------------------------------------
BFII XR6T - ZF box
Racewars 2017 result - 800m @ 229km/h - 1000m @ 241km/h
PB: 317rwkw - 11.94 @ 120mph - 2.093 60'
PB: Stock/208rwkw - 13.594 @ 105mph - 2.297 60'
-------------------------------------------
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #76
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
The cops wont make anything but the "hoon" charge stick. they cannot prove that he travelled that distance in that time because they cant prove that he was actually at the first place "a speeding porsche driver" was seen
I don't think he's been charged with any speeding offenses anyway. It shouldn't be too hard to get a conviction for these...
Quote:
The Margaret River man has been charged with Reckless Driving, Fail to Stop When Called Upon, Excess 0.05%, Assault Public Officer, Obstruct Public Officer and No Motor Drivers Licence.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #77
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Righteo kids. Let this be a little case study in media beatups. Exhibit A Your Honour.

At first it was 300kph. Then we went to 200kph. Now we're talking the speed limit (assumedly 100kph). Only a marginal difference of 200kph from original reports........ :yeees:
LOL This shows why I hate this whole HOON hype thing that is going on. Yes people driving too fast or silly in the wrong area or under the wrong conditions are idiots and should be punished. But doing 120 on a freeway is not hooning!!!!! Even 160 on a freeway is not hooning...and yes people will die in cars crashes and that can happen at 50km/h.

I seen a Excel with four bold tyres yesterday, one like a slick! This car owned and driven by a sensible mature driver. However that car in the rain at 95km/h on the freeway in a sticky situation is far more dangerous than my ute at 150km/h in the same situation. WAKE UP AUSTRALIA and don't take your road safety from the US. Vehicle and road condition along with driver training have more to do with safety than SPEED!!!

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #78
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair302
LOL This shows why I hate this whole HOON hype thing that is going on. Yes people driving too fast or silly in the wrong area or under the wrong conditions are idiots and should be punished. But doing 120 on a freeway is not hooning!!!!! Even 160 on a freeway is not hooning...and yes people will die in cars crashes and that can happen at 50km/h.
You are not politically correct, conform, conform damn you!!

Quote:
WAKE UP AUSTRALIA and don't take your road safety from the US. Vehicle and road condition along with driver training have more to do with safety than SPEED!!!
Yeah.

I take it you want the change of GovCo in WA? WA at polls today. (Change it and you might just keep that RD allowance that's been under threat).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...06/2357195.htm
Quote:
Today's election in Western Australia is expected to go down to the wire, with the latest Newspoll showing equal support for Labor and Liberal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox76
61 km in 27 mins is 135.5 kph but your point is taken. We do not know what actually happened and are relying on a questionable media report. As for no evicence of speeding I am sure the cops have worked out this average speed already and layed the charges. Wait and see if the media pick up the court result (if any)
Ahh yes, average speed, this should be an interesting one in court.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 06-09-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #79
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

I seen a Excel with four bold tyres yesterday, one like a slick! This car owned and driven by a sensible mature driver. However that car in the rain at 95km/h on the freeway in a sticky situation is far more dangerous than my ute at 150km/h in the same situation. WAKE UP AUSTRALIA and don't take your road safety from the US. Vehicle and road condition along with driver training have more to do with safety than SPEED!!!
I agree with the basis of your comment except the example of 150km/h in the wet, I do believe to a certain extent that the police are often focused on catching those with modified cars, even the ones that have superior handling and braking to the original vehicle, which when driven properly and safely are actually less likely to be in volved in an accident. Example, Tori is driving down a highway, 100km/h zone and she is under 100km/h as she is slowing for the exit. She looks in the rear view mirror and sees the dreaded red and blue. Anyway the cop pulled her over to check the vehicle because he believed it was a modified vehicle, it is a Stock as a Rock FPV Super Pursuit, still had original tyres and 20,000 on the clock.

How many times does this happen? Yet we see a bucket of rubbish drive around with no tail lights, bald mis matching tyres, panels that are rust held together with tape, laying oil slicks and leaving smoke screens to name a few.

Sure if the person in the modified vehicle (or any vehicle) is breaking the law, pull em over and through the book at them, after all they know the law. Why is it those with fast looking cars have to tolerate this attention when you can drive a seriously un roadworthy bucket of crap and not have to put up with police attention. In my experience as a paramedic it is very safe to say that I have been to more accidents involving cars of questionable road worthiness due to neglect than modified vehicles that have obviously been done well.

In my opinion the anti hoon laws although needed because some intentionally do the wrong thing, have put way too much police attention on modified and performance vehicles and taken that attention away form the neglected, poorly maintained death traps that we see all too often.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #80
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Obviously the numbers are not facts, they are there to make a point. Which most of you noted. The other bad thing with this HOON thing is that there are people whom love the attention and they feed on it.

I still believe that 140-150km/h on a freeway in the wet in a properly maintained modern car, on a proper design freeway (correct camber, exit and merging lanes, signage etc) with people who know how to drive rather than operate a vehicle (keep distance, indicate, use mirrors, give room, keep left unless overtaking, overtake with intent and read road conditions) IS NOT DANGEROUS. Freeways are the safest road design there is!

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Old 06-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #81
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Is that who was in that Porsche ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #82
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Obviously the numbers are not facts, they are there to make a point. Which most of you noted. The other bad thing with this HOON thing is that there are people whom love the attention and they feed on it.

I still believe that 140-150km/h on a freeway in the wet in a properly maintained modern car, on a proper design freeway (correct camber, exit and merging lanes, signage etc) with people who know how to drive rather than operate a vehicle (keep distance, indicate, use mirrors, give room, keep left unless overtaking, overtake with intent and read road conditions) IS NOT DANGEROUS. Freeways are the safest road design there is!

To some extent I do agree with you on the safety of speed on a freeway, I would not however agree that 150 on a wet freeway is safe in any car. Yes in the perfect conditions, with the perfect road and the perfect driver, yes it is safe enough. The problem is how many times do you find the perfect road? Even on the perfect road, if you were to hit the remainder of truck tyres after a semi has lost a retread and kept driving, at 150 you are in a spot of bother on a wet road, once it is a four wheel slide, you are a passenger. Also how often have you seen some dill walking on the freeway at night, or someone walking with a fuel can, if you have to avoid him in the wet and lose grip, passenger again. You have to remember speed limits are set for the lowest common demominator, less than perfect road conditions and less than perfect drivers in less than perfect cars. No freeway speed limit should be set at a speed where the average car and the average driver is moving at 10/10ths of their abilities. An autobahn system with different speed limits and minimum speed of lanes, now that is a different kettle of fish. My concept would be on a 3 lane freeway, left lane max 100km/h - min 80km/h, middle lane same, right lane max 130-140km/h - min 110-120/km/h. Minimum speeds should be enforced by law as are max, exceed right lane speed limit, instant double fine and points. Electronic siagnage could allow adjustment of speed limits when weather is poor as 140 is too fast in poor weather in any car.

Having said all this, I have always understood that you more than likely used thse figures for illustrative purposes, the problem is some may not understand that.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #83
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Just saw on the news here in Perth that Police alledgedly clocked a Porsche at 300 on the Old Coast Rd. Now this road is a piece of you know what, it's narrow and bumpy and has numerous fatals on it. It's not even a dual carriageway.
They gave chase and set up a road block. He tried to do a U turn at the road block and stalled it.
Police arrested a 30 year old man from Margaret River and seized his car for 7 days.
300 what a , I hope he goes to jail.
You know what he should have done is gone out in a Vanishing Point style ending!

Must have been a Turbo...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #84
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The magistrate will sort it out, they are quite good at that.

And they have to be...They get lied to every time (well most) by both/and or defence and prosecution/police..
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #85
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Ooops already posted above
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #86
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

GeckoGT, You have obviously spend some time overseas or a lot of time thinking about this problem. Yes speeds mentioned are only as example. I am not suggesting that we all cruise at 150km/h in the rain. But doing 120 in a 100 zone in the dry does not make you an axe murderer. You have mentioned some of the other problems yourself. People stopping on the freeway, walking along the freeway, driving to slow on any road. It is not just outright speed that can be dangerous but the difference in speed between road users!

Anyway a lot of interesting points and opinions raised, a bit of topic and my apologies for th hijack. Doing 300km/h on a public road is lunacy but the fact and reason for this debate was that it never happened and people with some intellect knew that already. The rest just continues to be brainwashed into thinking that if they don't speed everything else will be ok because "Speed is bad, mkay..."