Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Eastlink (Melb) Cost Warning!

No wonder Eastlink is the new White Elephant with no one using it! If you do not have an account ..... $40.00 set up fee ....... A cost of a single small trip is a killer.

I have an Etag and pays through work so I havn't kept up with the way it works but my son used it today to go from Greens Road to Cheltenham Rd (2 gates approx 2 km's .... if that) go to pay on my card and the option is to pay $4.96. One fee for one trip, even if you use 1 toll ..... From entry to next exit 500 metre trip. Get on accidently and its instantly $4.96 even if you get off the next immeadiate exit.

No wonder the road is so empty and Stud Rd is back to the way is was with no one using it. Everywhere you go its just bend over and take it with a smile on your dial.

For me, yes I can afford to use it ..... at the moment ..... just waiting for the monthly bill to see what it is really costing.

For interstaters using the road, please just be careful! $100 fine after 3 days non payment or $4.96 for a 25 second blast ....... cameras are starting to operate as well with a minium of 10 being set up with a very marginal tolerance.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Talking

hi, would i have to worry about this "eastlink" if i'm coming from sydney to go to phillip island?
my route would be straight down the hume from narellan(syd)then down past dandenong(expressway) thru to PI.just not sure where this eastlink is??
thanks for any guidance!
Old 22-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Hitman
Way over here

Nah, you wont have to worry about it.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Nah, you wont have to worry about it.
thanks
Old 22-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Shounak

You won't hit it if you come from the Hume to PI. You will however be stung with Citylink unless you take an alternative route.

But if you're driving from Sydney, I'd say it's the easiest to just pay the Shittylink fee.

Btw, what do you mean by don't have an account? I have a Citylink eTag account? Does that mean I'll be hit by a big charge?

I thought it'd just be a few cents.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
XC_Lizzard

The eastlink account is not as bad as the citylink account. The $40 is not an account setup cost, just the minimum initial balance, so without paying any extra you have $40 in trips you can use. Also as near as I can figure, account balances on Eastlink don't expire (unlike CityLink), so there should be no penalty for infrequent use. I'm not saying its good, just better than what Citylink was offering.

Watch out for their Bonus credit offers though, you only get matching credit for tolls incurred in a specific timeframe.

The Eastlink daypasses (or trip-passes) for short trips do seem to be a blatant money grab, but then so is CityLink.

Having said that, I don't use Eastlink regularly either. It shouldn't be tolled, and I'm not even going to give them someone else's money (I also have a work paid Citylink tag). Eastlink is a better way to and from work for me, but not $10 a day worth of better.
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
TZENU
XY Driv3r

They advertise on the eastlink $4.96 toll cap. So if you jump on make sure you use the whole lot !!!
Old 22-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I would assume Citylink is also a tollway, therefore if XR8utey is going that way and has a NSW etag will it work or will he have to pay some other way if the tollway is cashless or are there tollgates to pay at?
Old 22-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

All ETAGs work on both Citylink and Eastlink

If you have an existing Citlyink ETAG just use that on Eastlink, no additional charges, and vice versa, if you open an Eastlink account you can use it on Citylink for no additional charges.
Old 22-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
XC_Lizzard

The $4.96 is a capped price per trip (not per day). Just make sure you use one the the tunnels ($2.20 just for a trip through a tunnel).

Mind you, the Eastlink tunnels echo a V8 much better than the CityLink tunnels!
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
So I would assume Citylink is also a tollway, therefore if XR8utey is going that way and has a NSW etag will it work or will he have to pay some other way if the tollway is cashless or are there tollgates to pay at?
All tags from all all states are now linked Melb.Syd.Brissy. but may incure a $1 extra fee per trip No toll gate any ware in Melb. just a phone number to ring and pay with in a 36/ 48 hour time frame

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Lizzard
The eastlink account is not as bad as the citylink account. The $40 is not an account setup cost, just the minimum initial balance, so without paying any extra you have $40 in trips you can use. Also as near as I can figure, account balances on Eastlink don't expire (unlike CityLink), so there should be no penalty for infrequent use. I'm not saying its good, just better than what Citylink was offering.

Watch out for their Bonus credit offers though, you only get matching credit for tolls incurred in a specific timeframe.

The Eastlink daypasses (or trip-passes) for short trips do seem to be a blatant money grab, but then so is CityLink.

Having said that, I don't use Eastlink regularly either. It shouldn't be tolled, and I'm not even going to give them someone else's money (I also have a work paid Citylink tag). Eastlink is a better way to and from work for me, but not $10 a day worth of better.
Yep the $40 goes towards using it but if you are an infrequent user, interstate or from the bush, it is not worth paying the $40. A 30second trip is $5.00 so if you are going to use it ........ stay on it for 1 hour as thats how long the $4.96 lasts! If you travel the 30km or 500 metres ...... still $4.96.

If you have an Etag, it will cost you between 33 cents to whatever for the tunnel. 33 cents to $4.96 for those who pay on credit card afterwards? 1500% extra to pay on the day! Yep all good here!

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
predator_230
Fairmont GXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Yep the $40 goes towards using it but if you are an infrequent user, interstate or from the bush, it is not worth paying the $40. A 30second trip is $5.00 so if you are going to use it ........ stay on it for 1 hour as thats how long the $4.96 lasts! If you travel the 30km or 500 metres ...... still $4.96.

If you have an Etag, it will cost you between 33 cents to whatever for the tunnel. 33 cents to $4.96 for those who pay on credit card afterwards? 1500% extra to pay on the day! Yep all good here!
Why would anyone buy a trip pass for eastlink to use it for one toll point? Why not just go around it as you wouldve done so before it opened up.
If you have an etag or breeze tag you have nothing to worry about as for the people who dont, there are many other options available.
pointless topic...............
predator_230 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #14
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

I USED IT YESTERDAY TWO TRIPS FROM MONASH TO CHANDLER HWY AND RETURN PAID AT THE POST OFFICE TODAY 12 BUCKS HOPE I DONT HAVE TO PAY ANY MORE WHAT A BLOODY RIP OFF
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Lizzard
Mind you, the Eastlink tunnels echo a V8 much better than the CityLink tunnels!
Ahahaha, is this what you are talking about? And this is 300 metres back.

I have no issue with Eastlink, as I have a "breeze" account. All tags work on each other's roads. And interstate as well. (Breeze only)

We got the $60 free account, because we bought the tags very early.

Considering I work in Clayton, live in Narre South, this morning my $1.00 going to work payed for itself so much, it was worth $5.00.

If anyone drove on the Monash this morning around 6:30-7am, they would have cursed themselves, and here I was very happy paying 1 dollar with no frustration, I got off at Police Road then up Jacksons.
Monash would have taken 20 minutes from police road to Springy road.

But if I had of gone the South Gippy Freeway/ Monash Freeway, would have been an hour, instead it was 35 mins

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I hate paying, but if 1 dollar saves me 30 minutes, who can complain.
My wife drives from Narre South to the Ringwood Bypass, ok, costs her the 5 bucks each way, but hey it's either that or 1 - 1 1/2 hours drive to work the back roads on wet days. It now takes 35-40 minutes.
I think it's justified. If the price was any higher, well yes, then traffic on Eastlink wouldn't be justifed.

Last edited by BA Waggn; 22-08-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #16
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator_230
Why would anyone buy a trip pass for eastlink to use it for one toll point? Why not just go around it as you wouldve done so before it opened up.
If you have an etag or breeze tag you have nothing to worry about as for the people who dont, there are many other options available.
pointless topic...............
Did you read it or just pop in to make a pointless trolling remark? :

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #17
predator_230
Fairmont GXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Did you read it or just pop in to make a pointless trolling remark? :
Yeah dude it was read but its nothing new, to travel on citylink with no tag account you have to go through the same procedure ie: buy a trip pass/ day pass/ weeked pass etc... standard tollway crap you have to go through.
At least if u dont have your tag on your car they only charge you 22 cents for number plate recognition as apposed to $1.30 for citylink.
Standard......... :
predator_230 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 01:13 AM   #18
esp302v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Waggn
Ahahaha, is this what you are talking about? And this is 300 metres back.

I have no issue with Eastlink, as I have a "breeze" account. All tags work on each other's roads. And interstate as well. (Breeze only)

We got the $60 free account, because we bought the tags very early.

Considering I work in Clayton, live in Narre South, this morning my $1.00 going to work payed for itself so much, it was worth $5.00.

If anyone drove on the Monash this morning around 6:30-7am, they would have cursed themselves, and here I was very happy paying 1 dollar with no frustration, I got off at Police Road then up Jacksons.
Monash would have taken 20 minutes from police road to Springy road.

But if I had of gone the South Gippy Freeway/ Monash Freeway, would have been an hour, instead it was 35 mins

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I hate paying, but if 1 dollar saves me 30 minutes, who can complain.
My wife drives from Narre South to the Ringwood Bypass, ok, costs her the 5 bucks each way, but hey it's either that or 1 - 1 1/2 hours drive to work the back roads on wet days. It now takes 35-40 minutes.
I think it's justified. If the price was any higher, well yes, then traffic on Eastlink wouldn't be justifed.

This is our tunnel in Perth............the sound of a V8 is farkin awesome !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9M3j...?t=9923&page=4

Andy.
esp302v8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 02:25 AM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So glad I don't have to pay this sort of crap down here.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #20
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp302v8
This is our tunnel in Perth............the sound of a V8 is farkin awesome !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9M3j...?t=9923&page=4

Andy.
Ahh nice, like the short solid noises around 45-50 sec.

Did you hear of this one ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxol0cRDTks
He should have bought a Falcon V8 instead of a riceburner.

But yeah, to use Eastlink makes sense.

But all these bloody toll roads, I really hope they pull the tolling up in 20 years.
When it pays for itself 2 x over.
Just like they did with the Westgate Bridge, however I think they would start tolling that to pay for upgrades to it. So funny, there would be a huge mass of people objecting to that.
I think I hear the name "flak jacket johnny" come to mind for the Premier! Ahaha.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post