Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What attracts you to a V8?
The power of the V8 38 23.17%
The V8 motor itself 126 76.83%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-07-2008, 02:00 AM   #91
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a couple things on the drawing board.
The menton of the boss younger brother a 5litre with 255 kw i think .They stated it would take some massaging to get to the output the austalians expect. Considering superchargers or tturbo set up and looking at local performance shops to see what they are doing and achieving and testing on that
Or drop the v8 entirly and go with v6 duratec tturbo . They said its was a matter of market research to see if its the v8 the people love or the power of it.
Judging by people on here we may be safe in keeping the 8 But i guess they will decide by what makes the cash.
I just want them to return the 8 to the top of the food chain were it belongs.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 02:40 AM   #92
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
There is a couple things on the drawing board.
The menton of the boss younger brother a 5litre with 255 kw i think .They stated it would take some massaging to get to the output the austalians expect. Considering superchargers or tturbo set up and looking at local performance shops to see what they are doing and achieving and testing on that
Or drop the v8 entirly and go with v6 duratec tturbo . They said its was a matter of market research to see if its the v8 the people love or the power of it.
Judging by people on here we may be safe in keeping the 8 But i guess they will decide by what makes the cash.
I just want them to return the 8 to the top of the food chain were it belongs.
Actually the 5L V8 is rated to 300kW (~500Nm). The 255 you speak of is the detuned version that the F-150 will get, tuned for bottom-end power as opposed to the 300kW top-end power that'll sit in the Mustang GT. There's also the possibility of DI which will add another 10% to that 300. And then there's the turbo, which I think will remain as a 4.6... if it ever sees the light of day. The turbo V8 IS/HAS undergone testing etc in the US...

As long as Ford US manufacture a V8 FordAu can't afford to not offer the V8 as they did in the past, it must stay as an option as the inclusion of a V8 to the range will not cost them much. In 82 they stopped the manufacture of the V8. This is a completely different scenario, as it will be fully imported, as a crate motor (just like the V6 will be) and not much development/re-engineering costs as per the current Boss would be required.

On the other hand.

Reality is the V8 is a luxury to own with fuel costs here in Aus is currently raised to what the Euros have been paying for ages. No one denies the sweetness the V8 has (apart from the few trolls here) but again, how many will vote with their wallets when peer pressure from all over the place is saying you shouldn't own one? It (the V8) will be around in 2010, but by the time the FG is replaced with Huntsman (next generation Falcon/global rear wheel drive) in ~2013 you can bet that if Ford don't have a V8 that returns 8L/100km then they won't have it.
In the US the CAFE regs have already forced Ford to not offer (and cease? development) of the 6.2L Hurricane/Boss SOHC V8, which will now only be available to the heavier F series trucks as a replacement for the 6.8L V10. This motor WAS destined for the SE Mustangs. Ford also planned to build this in a Quadcam 5.8L all alloy version.

Ford need to survive, even if it means the V8 will get the chop. So start voting with your wallets if you really need them to keep it.
Old 27-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #93
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Fuel economy between T6 and 8 can simply be a perception, one that I have myself held until recently.

The Eaton blown 4.6L I now have in my AU is about 1 litre per 100km better on fuel, than my 300-350rwkw F6 Typhoon ever was. Dont ask me how, but it averages between 15-16L/100 where the F6 figure was up around 17L/100 (both driven with gusto). I dont know if it is because of the lesser displacement of the 4.6L vs the Boss's 5.4L, but theroetically, the AU should be worse, it has everything against it:

Mis-matched engine-ECM,
2 extra cylinders,
belt driven blower,
higher cruise rpm than the ZF equipped F6.

And yet the proof is in the pudding.

The death of the V8 from Ford's Australian lineup would be an unfair yet entirely predictable move for a car company with ailing sales from it's "large car/truck" market in North America. The globalisation of engine lines and the Dearborn push on ECOBOOST, will effectivley see of any use of the Hurricane in car application.

I read this in Motor Trend a while back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Trend
Ford is looking to add a twin turbo Ecoboost V6 engine to the Mustang lineup for 2010 in an attempt to meet the 35mpg CAFE standards by 2020. The Ecoboost V6 is said to be capable of nearly 415 horsepower with the torque of a V8. However they aren't dropping the V8. Instead their plans are to produce three Mustang models which include the naturally aspirated 4.0L V6, the twin turbo Ecoboost V6, and possibly a 5.0L V8. Word is that the Ecoboost and V8 models would be very close in cost so buyers in that price range would get to decide which they prefer. The lifespan of the V8 could depend on that decision.
That last bit sounds like it was written by FPV.

There is still light at the end of the tunnel, The CAFE requirement is based on the average fuel economies of the various models in a manufacturers lineup.

The GT500 is going to live on through 2010-2012 (whether it ends up with the current 5.4L or with the 5.0L revised modular as a base is yet to be known, but almost certinly will be PD blown) and that gives scope for a 5.0L NA XR8, and possibly a GT500 powered FPV. I guess only FPV know the answer to that possibility.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #94
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

The V8 has an awesome note, great rumble and solid feel, but saying all that, I am buying another Turbo.
Old 27-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #95
BFXT54L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing beats the sound of a worked old school V8, And my late model one doesnt sound too bad either. And the lazy low down tourque. +1 V8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEzamQojCm8

I use and Recommend Sydney Dragway
http://www.sydneydragway.com.au/
BFXT54L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #96
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Fuel economy between T6 and 8 can simply be a perception, one that I have myself held until recently.

The Eaton blown 4.6L I now have in my AU is about 1 litre per 100km better on fuel, than my 300-350rwkw F6 Typhoon ever was. Dont ask me how, but it averages between 15-16L/100 where the F6 figure was up around 17L/100 (both driven with gusto). I dont know if it is because of the lesser displacement of the 4.6L vs the Boss's 5.4L, but theroetically, the AU should be worse, it has everything against it:

Mis-matched engine-ECM,
2 extra cylinders,
belt driven blower,
higher cruise rpm than the ZF equipped F6.

And yet the proof is in the pudding.
You didn't consider how well the aerodynamics work on the AU compared to the BF.

Quote:
The death of the V8 from Ford's Australian lineup would be an unfair yet entirely predictable move for a car company with ailing sales from it's "large car/truck" market in North America. The globalisation of engine lines and the Dearborn push on ECOBOOST, will effectivley see of any use of the Hurricane in car application.

I read this in Motor Trend a while back:

That last bit sounds like it was written by FPV.

There is still light at the end of the tunnel, The CAFE requirement is based on the average fuel economies of the various models in a manufacturers lineup.

The GT500 is going to live on through 2010-2012 (whether it ends up with the current 5.4L or with the 5.0L revised modular as a base is yet to be known, but almost certinly will be PD blown) and that gives scope for a 5.0L NA XR8, and possibly a GT500 powered FPV. I guess only FPV know the answer to that possibility.

Daniel
No turbo? I don't mind the blower to be honest, especially after listening to one of those Terminator things on botophucket last night, but what happened to the snail programme?
Old 27-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #97
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
No turbo? I don't mind the blower to be honest, especially after listening to one of those Terminator things on botophucket last night, but what happened to the snail programme?
I can only go off info from the US:
Quote:
Hello Andy,

Just read the "Latest Boss Info" and saw your post regarding the 5.0L and GT500 as still going ahead.

Does this mean that the base engine for the GT will definatley be the "revised" 4V (5.0L) and that the GT500 will retain the current S/C 5.4L?

Regards,

Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourcam330
Daniel,
That is correct. Unless gas hits $5.00+ a gallon we will definitely see those motors in 2011. The 2011 GT500 is going to be a nice ride, in fact it will be the car that brings me back to the Ford camp.

Andy
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #98
TurboUteris
Dirt Squirter

Lets face it Aussies have always loved a tough car/ute.Whether it was powered by a straight 6 (XU1,RT,GTR? hope I dont get roasted for the GTR but it won Bathurst :S) or a V8,we love em both. As long as were not argueing between Turbo 4's and rotaries,who cares,they both fit the criteria.
focker out
Old 28-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #99
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Reality is the V8 is a luxury to own with fuel costs here in Aus is currently raised to what the Euros have been paying for ages. No one denies the sweetness the V8 has (apart from the few trolls here)
If people want a v8, they will still get one.

Petrol is still cheap in Australia, and I know many people that are happy to fuel their 5-6L v8's.

I'd get the turbo too just becasue of how easy the power is squeezed out, but I love the 8's.... I really wish I could have both :(
Old 21-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #100
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
a smaller capacity 8 to reel in the economy with a turbo please ,is that an oxy moron lol
Turbo V8 would be the best of both.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #101
Shounak

I just drove a manual WRX recently and can comfortably say that it's a crap load more fun than anything Holden/Ford produce.

I drive an XR8 and have driven SS's, XR6T's and they don't even come close.

My first reaction as I was shifting gears was that the Rexxy had nothing. But down a gear, hit the turbo BOOOOOM. There's nothing quite like it.

Hardly a practical car, but more fun than the bigger boys.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #102
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
I just drove a manual WRX recently and can comfortably say that it's a crap load more fun than anything Holden/Ford produce.

My first reaction as I was shifting gears was that the Rexxy had nothing. But down a gear, hit the turbo BOOOOOM. There's nothing quite like it.

Your easily impressed there young fella,sorry to say it,but if you think a wrx is that great you havent been in anything special..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #103
68XTFairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
judging by the votes the v8 is still in demand .Thank god for that . I thought this may be the case .
when its comes down to there is plenty or power and the foundations are there for something really special that no 4pot , turbo 6 would touch. Also the sound must count for alot otherwise no one would ride ride a harley Davidson.
I ride a Harley and drive V8's, It is either because I am almost completely deaf in one ear and can't hear much in the other or it is the reason I am almost completely deaf in the exhaust ear and can't hear much out of the other.

At least I know when the motor is runnin by feel of a rockin motor
68XTFairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #104
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
down a gear, hit the turbo .... BOOOOOM.
............which part broke?
Nugget ..... spot on there mate!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #105
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Heaps of fun but a pain in the bum in peak hour traffic. It's about the only complaint I have about mine.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #106
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Your easily impressed there young fella,sorry to say it,but if you think a wrx is that great you havent been in anything special..
Agreed. /Boom Boom.
Old 21-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #107
Shounak

Quote:
I agree, kinda. Best I've been in is a bolt on SS, but I've ridden an 07 R1, which would kill just about any WRX/SS with billions of mods.

In terms of stockish cars, a WRX was a crap load more fun than all of the other big boys I've driven.

I'm not saying it's more practical or anything. But in terms of giving it a squirt and throwing it around corners, it wins hands down.

I was dubious before I got in it. But if you haven't driven one of these things properly, I say go for it. Don't drive it normally, drive it like you stole it.
Old 22-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #108
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
I was dubious before I got in it. But if you haven't driven one of these things properly, I say go for it. Don't drive it normally, drive it like you stole it.
A friend of mine owns a modded STi,we race on the circuit together so I know what they go like..
Old 22-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #109
Shounak

Quote:
A friend of mine owns a modded STi,we race on the circuit together so I know what they go like..
Fair enough. But it depends on what you'd call anything special.

An Sti with a few bolt ons should be compared to an equivalent car. Not a twin turbo XR8/SS or something.

I've driven all of the WRX's performance competitors and have an XR8 as a daily. The WRX is heaps more fun to squirt about.
Old 22-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #110
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Fair enough. But it depends on what you'd call anything special.

An Sti with a few bolt ons should be compared to an equivalent car. Not a twin turbo XR8/SS or something.

I've driven all of the WRX's performance competitors and have an XR8 as a daily. The WRX is heaps more fun to squirt about.
Tuned STi on track tyres,and Im comparing it to a N/A 1972 falcon,were talking about 4 seconds a lap and 30 years age difference
They are a nice car,but in straight line performance they wont best a bolt on n/a Ls1,not even close..