Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2006, 12:57 AM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

[QUOTE=Iphido]As far as I know there is no replacement for the LWB cars designed for Orion. So I would doubt they will appear in that generation.

So most likely will not reappear until 2018?

QUOTE]

It doesn't take that much effort to make a LWB version of a Falcon. If Ford could get an export market for it it would take less than 2-3 years to get it to market. All thats really required is to stretch the wheelbase, add longer rear doors and restyle the roof. Changing the look front and rear can be done fairly easily. The door is still open, all it needs is a customer and some time.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #32
Mondie
Firm member

Isn't the FPV Force 6 & 8 going to be based on the Fairlane? It would seem odd to develop a whole new FPV model based on a car that is not going to be around for much longer?
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:28 AM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondie
Isn't the FPV Force 6 & 8 going to be based on the Fairlane? It would seem odd to develop a whole new FPV model based on a car that is not going to be around for much longer?
No, they are Fairmont Ghia SWB based.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:29 AM   #34
Mondie
Firm member

Oh ok, they sound like a nice package then. More Euro/FTE l guess, more subtle?
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #35
mash85

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Surely FORD can keep the Fairlane ? maybe kill off LTD ?
if they keep the fairlane, i reckon they'd keep the ltd. it just makes sense to try and spead the cost over 2 models rather tha 1.
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #36
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Quote:
It doesn't take that much effort to make a LWB version of a Falcon. If Ford could get an export market for it it would take less than 2-3 years to get it to market. All thats really required is to stretch the wheelbase, add longer rear doors and restyle the roof.
While that would be a LWB Fairlane and LTD thats the problem isn't it? There is little more than ~100mm of extra leg room. Is that enough?

Tooling for the roof, doors, etc would take time to make. New wiring loom, new mechanicals (drive shaft etc).

Say its three years from today. That means it would have 2 less years to recover its costs than the swb car. Its also going to cost more to develop as it was not done in synergy with the SWB car.

It also more expensive per unit now the wagon is going to die and no longer offer its doors for LWB models.

And now it has to compete with a Statesman being sold in large volumes overseas and the 300c and 300c LWB.

Given the price to make LWB models Ford could make a decision. It could make a LWB model or a Coupe instead.

Unless they are going to make the LWB properly, they would be better off doing something else and doing that right.

Personally I think the Fairlane Ghia and Fairmont Ghia should be very close. Like a 7 series and a 7L series. Exactly the same but with longer doors, roof, wheelbase. The LTD can then be the complete pimp mobile with chrome everything and super gadgets.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #37
suttoinc
The Phantom Menace

There are a lot of good ideas being thrown around here but the reality is would any of us buy one?

I may be wrong but I would assume most of us would rather an SWB FPV to a Fairlane or LTD.
10 years ago people bought a fairlane when they got old and/or had lots of money. There were few options for luxury cars and dare I say all the gizmos that make todays luxury cars that good were not in even the premium euro models.
These days there are lots of cars you can buy if you get old and/or have lots of money. SUVs and European cars are much more prevalent now and the purchase of a Fairlane is simply not the most fun way to spend your kids inheritance. (Mum and Dad have a 4x4 and Caravan and are doing the Grey haired wanderers thing.) The demographics have changed in Australia and a long wheelbase car is simply not that important to us.

One other thing that you may disagree with and appologies if you do but I would say that the Ford / Holden rivalry is born out of motor sport. I would assume that most people who buy Fairlanes are looking for luxury and because of that people are forgetting about the Ford / Holden thing and looking at other cars as well.

Bottom line is, I don't really care if ford stop making a car that I am never going to buy anyway.
suttoinc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #38
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Is it any suprise that when Fairlane sold heaps, imported cars had a 50% tax on them and BMW didn't even offically import them (only grey imports from dealers).

Things have changed. BMW, Merc, Audi and lexus can offer you a lot for your money.

Orion is going to be larger than the BF Falcon. With better/bigger doors and wider openings and more efficent space useage.

Do you really need a aircraft carrier sized sedan when your basic sedan is just over 5 metres long?
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #39
ape021
Starter Motor

Red face

yeah I hear about Fairlane and LTD finished, that why BA to BF not very good design that all from Falcon look bored. why not make 2 team... one team for Falcon Design and one team Fairlane and LTD design.... AU Fairlane and LTD much better than BA and BF!! I keep drawing and make up new car in froward... look the picture not good draw!! make look strong Front and back... I drawing more soon and show you.... THAT WHY MY FAV FORD LTD!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LTD BACK32.jpg (111.3 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg Ford LTD00012.JPG (55.9 KB, 86 views)
Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #40
FPV 5TH

Que?????
FPV 5TH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #41
TadKa
Wait? What?

uhh? I don't know what to say..... I'll say nothing....
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #42
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape021
yeah I hear about Fairlane and LTD finished, that why BA to BF not very good design that all from Falcon look bored. why not make 2 team... one team for Falcon Design and one team Fairlane and LTD design.... AU Fairlane and LTD much better than BA and BF!! I keep drawing and make up new car in froward... look the picture not good draw!! make look strong Front and back... I drawing more soon and show you.... THAT WHY MY FAV FORD LTD!!
I see your a fan of the LWB Fords. Unfortunately they're not what people want these days (in comparison to the 70's and 80's).

Make sure you post your pictures of the look you like for everyone to see.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #43
ape021
Starter Motor

other drawing here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car LTD0004.JPG (52.3 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Car LTD0006.JPG (119.2 KB, 253 views)
Old 08-07-2008, 02:48 AM   #44
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
In the US, the Crown Vic is THE tool of choice for law enforcement. Since GM killed off the Caprice the Crown Vic has had this sizeable market pretty much to itself.
Looks as though Ford are losing that to the Dodge Charger, which has been replacing the Crown Vic very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
And the Town Car is extremely popular in the US hire car industry.
Only chauffeured-driven.

Ford/Lincoln do need a large RWD sedan, but just like Chrysler have gotten it right with the 300C/Charger - you can choose sporty or luxury with it, Ford need to do the same. Now the Lincoln has gone more sporty with it's image, I am sure they can do something right. Maybe something above the MKS. Though that might be it, because I believe they are not planning to do more V8 sedans.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #45
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I like your designs, Ape021. Your second drawings are very nice!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #46
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape021
other drawing here...

i see a bit of statesman /caprice in that..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #47
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I like your designs, Ape021. Your second drawings are very nice!
Yeah. Pity he had to dig up a thread thats 2 years old to show them :