Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
jason_85

Default Insurance Reviews

Hey guys

Well after doing some searching for a variety of insurance and loan reviews i came across this. I am not sure if people know... i am sure some of you do but for those who dont i am sure it could help just as much as it helped me!!!

http://www.cannex.com.au/default.asp?PageID=198

If you scroll to the bottom after the article you can click on your state and see the reviews for each state and your respective age group.

I am looking at buying an XR6T and was just going to insure it through my current insurance in whom i have been with for ages. I tried the recommended one for my details and littel do i know its over
$100 cheaper!!!!

Hope this Helps

Jason

Edit: You may have to go to there homepage to access the links for the pdf's of each location and age brackets ratings!

jason_85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
blackzxr
Typhoon

Just bought a 2007 F6 Typhoon (new) and have had varied quotes. Quotes up to $1500.
Rang Shannons, Alliance, Suncorp, AAMI, Budget, Just car, Racv, GIO and others. Have just paid $940 through GIO and am pretty happy with that.
I am 36 yo (as of yesterday) have a good driving history, no claims
(at fault) in past 5 years etc.
Drive every day, with 2 driver limit. (me the missus)
Am a responsible driver, that doesn't drive my cars hard, or be silly in no way. :-)

Had a 03 BA XR6T for 4 years and payed $700 - $800 / year, so am very happy with this quote.

Hope this helps guys. ( i hate getting insurance)

Tip: Ring around.

I used to have a handle on reality, but it broke.
blackzxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool

In case of car (or any other) insurance the most important thing it what you get form the insurer when something happens to your car, not just the premium.

You can shop around and get the cheapest insurance but remember about excesses and the conditions of the insurance, read the fine lines at the bottom of the policy.

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain
In case of car (or any other) insurance the most important thing it what you get form the insurer when something happens to your car, not just the premium.

You can shop around and get the cheapest insurance but remember about excesses and the conditions of the insurance, read the fine lines at the bottom of the policy.
+10000 for doing this.

Must insurance companys offer pretty much the same policy for motor however there are slight differences.

Key things i would look for are,

1. choice of repairer
2. Lifetime guaruntees on repairs
3. market vs agreed value
4. cancellation fee's (if you sell car)
5. Excess
6. Rating
7. 24/h claims call centre

Price is an important part of buying insurance but it is always best to actually look what you are paying for.
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
VZKOOP
Silhouette F6

I have insured with Budget Direct, AAMI & GIO and without doubt the best value insurance I have ever had is with Shannons.

We pay around $1000 per annum for both my F6 & my wifes Astra Turbo.

I even insure my home contents with them

I think if you are under 25 you may have a problem insuring with them but otherwise as long as you are a motoring enthusiast you'd be hard pressed to find a better insurer IMO.
VZKOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_85
Hey guys

Well after doing some searching for a variety of insurance and loan reviews i came across this. I am not sure if people know... i am sure some of you do but for those who dont i am sure it could help just as much as it helped me!!!

http://www.cannex.com.au/default.asp?PageID=198

If you scroll to the bottom after the article you can click on your state and see the reviews for each state and your respective age group.

I am looking at buying an XR6T and was just going to insure it through my current insurance in whom i have been with for ages. I tried the recommended one for my details and littel do i know its over
$100 cheaper!!!!

Hope this Helps

Jason

Edit: You may have to go to there homepage to access the links for the pdf's of each location and age brackets ratings!
Thanks for the link, very informative pdf.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZKOOP
I have insured with Budget Direct, AAMI & GIO and without doubt the best value insurance I have ever had is with Shannons.

We pay around $1000 per annum for both my F6 & my wifes Astra Turbo.

I even insure my home contents with them

I think if you are under 25 you may have a problem insuring with them but otherwise as long as you are a motoring enthusiast you'd be hard pressed to find a better insurer IMO.
There's certainly savings to be had if you bundle several packages together.

I was happy to see that NRMA got a 4 star rating and had an above average new car replacement policy of 2 years. I also bundle my CTP, home contents and roadside assist which gives me ~15% saving on Comprehensive.

I tend not to seek the cheapest insurance policy available but the one that's going to provide me a hassle free claim when I need it most. I've made a number of claims on NRMA in the (distant) past, 1 at fault, 2 theft, 5 not at fault and each time NRMA gave me absolutely hassle free assistance getting my car back on the road.

That's what insurance is all about, not how little you pay compared to the competition. Sure, it's nice to save a few hundred bucks a year, but if it's at the expense of service when it comes to making a claim, not worth it IMO.
Old 17-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
blackzxr
Typhoon

Am i missing something here?
I have checked that the things i want are covered with GIO and am happy to progress with my quote, as i thought they were OK. (as far as insurance companies go)
The only clause that was of concern was the $400 performance vehicle excess. I have agreed value choice of repairer etc. I have a limited driver clause, but that suits me because no one else will drive it.
I am a strong beleiver of cheapest is not always better and i wasn't implying that.

Have people had bad experiences with GIO?

Old 17-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
VZKOOP
Silhouette F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
There's certainly savings to be had if you bundle several packages together.

I was happy to see that NRMA got a 4 star rating and had an above average new car replacement policy of 2 years. I also bundle my CTP, home contents and roadside assist which gives me ~15% saving on Comprehensive.

I tend not to seek the cheapest insurance policy available but the one that's going to provide me a hassle free claim when I need it most. I've made a number of claims on NRMA in the (distant) past, 1 at fault, 2 theft, 5 not at fault and each time NRMA gave me absolutely hassle free assistance getting my car back on the road.

That's what insurance is all about, not how little you pay compared to the competition. Sure, it's nice to save a few hundred bucks a year, but if it's at the expense of service when it comes to making a claim, not worth it IMO.
Couldn't have put it better myself Rod.
I think the cheapest are probably AAMI - especially if you factor in their flexible excess.
But at the end of the day it's all about value. Both real and perceived. Some companies probably work out better for some people. I think the high powered specialty cars tend to be favoured less by the majors which is why I suspect that Shannons works out the best for me. But I know several people who have been knocked back by them. Not just under 25's either - so whilst they work out fine for me they may not be suitable for everyone.
It was interesting to see that Shannons wasn't included in the report. I wonder why that was....
VZKOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
cycle myth

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............

for a bunch of guys passionate about the brand not many of you seem to really car too much other than looking at the price.

Why aren't you all driving a $13,990 Kia? Thats the cheapest car isn't it?

Do you want the insurance you want to pay for or the insurance you want to use?
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZKOOP
Couldn't have put it better myself Rod.
I think the cheapest are probably AAMI - especially if you factor in their flexible excess.
But at the end of the day it's all about value. Both real and perceived. Some companies probably work out better for some people. I think the high powered specialty cars tend to be favoured less by the majors which is why I suspect that Shannons works out the best for me. But I know several people who have been knocked back by them. Not just under 25's either - so whilst they work out fine for me they may not be suitable for everyone.
It was interesting to see that Shannons wasn't included in the report. I wonder why that was....
Shannons can be a bit funny.

I had an XW GT insured with them years ago. Cracker deal, was paying a couple of hundred bucks for limited use and if the car was written off I got to keep the wreck. I also had a VQ Stato at the time. They wouldn't insure the Stato because it wasn't 'unique' enough. I believe they've since relaxed their criteria, this was early 90's mind you.

If I had a classic or unique, I'd be straight back to Shannons in a heartbeat. I think classics in particular are their bread and butter and there's not an insurer on the planet that treats your classic car with more respect than Shannons.
Old 22-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
blackzxr
Typhoon

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
After reading all the posts, i have accepted the errors in my ways. I thought i would send my information, as it may help other people?

Based on what i have read, i have made a very bad decision and have changed my approach to obtaining insurance. "cheapest is not better, even if it a reputable insurer"

So i have found the most expensive quote i have received and have gone with that. Ringing around and getting the best deal is obviously not the best option. Take it up the bot and pay the most expensive quote, seams to be the only way you appreciate your car. lol.