Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
BammasAUIIIXR8

Question Left Hand Drive - why not import new cars

I was reading a story on the new Hyundai/Genysis Coupe (I think that was what it was called) with a 235kw V6, rear wheel drive combo that looks damn sexy only to be let down that it will probably never been seen on our shores as there is no plan to make it in right hand drive.

I then got to thinking - why is it that we can't import new cars in left hand drive ???

With all the new fngled gizmo's to stop us crashing and airbags galore, why is it any less safe to be on the left hand side of the care when driving on the left hand side of the road ???

Of course your total perspective changes but I'm sure you would get used to this and could drive just as well.

We now let pretty much any old yank car remain left hand drive and I would think that they would be considerably more unsafe than a modern one.

Also, in todays world of single drivers, in a head on crash you would be less likely to be injured because the cars never crash perfectly straight and usually just crash right side to right side.

Of course if you were hit whilst doing a right hand turn, then you could be in a bit of trouble - but today's cars are considerably better at surviving side impact crashes then their predecessors.

I don't know if left hand drive cars are specifically designed for crashes that would occur whilst driving on the right hand side of the car so would fail ADR rules ???

Maybe the Australian car industry likes the fact that we drive on the opposite side to most car producing countries ???

I must admit that I have not thought a lot about the consequences and I am sure someone would be willing to enlighten me as to why this is the case.

I am intrigued as to whether it may become a possibility down the track though.

BammasAUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

The main problem is overtaking. Think about when you're going to overtake, you may move slightly to the right to see if anything is coming the other way. Now from the left hand side you can't see down the right of the car you're going to overtake, so it makes it very difficult indeed.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

edit: beat me to it, my point exactly.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

and its not just overtaking, there are a number of maneuverer you make in a car every day that you dont even think about, that would be difficult to make from the other side of the car.

now, im suprised though....... of all the awesome LHD Ford talent, and you bring this question up regarding a Hyundai....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

FYI, i was told by a '68 Mustang owner that to REMAIN left hand drive and be driveable/legal in Asutralia, the car must be 30+ years old. Don't know why though.

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
GT-E

They have both R and L hand drive cars in Europe.
You can drive both types all over the place and they do not seem to have too many problems with it.
Old 20-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
You can drive both types all over the place and they do not seem to have too many problems with it.
As they do in Japan, I believe.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Yep overtaking on country roads when you can't see around the car in front of you is EXTREMELY PAINFUL. Drove a yank Charger for a while in the country as a left hooker, ABSOLUTE FRIGGING NIGHTMARE. But I guess for a real cruiser not so much a drama, but when out in the country I like to get around the slow pokes and have a little fun. And left hook cars make that damn difficult.
Old 20-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
Hally

As a daily driver, left hook in Australia just doesn't work. Worst thing is boom gates in carparks!

I have a 66 Mustang that has been converted to RHD. I have driven heaps of LHD ones and believe me the novelty wears off reall quick, especially when you are on your own and go through drive thru's.

With the 30 year old rule, as I understand it it is a value thing. At that age they are classed as a collectors item and can drop in value if they have major modifications. The authorities also expect that they would do limited mileage.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
most(i know there are exceptions) europeans see driving as a privelage not a right, so they actually know how to drive unlike half the drivers in aus.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
BammasAUIIIXR8

I'm sure modern technology could fix the overtaking issue - if we have cameras looking back, then why not forward from the right side mirror ??

I never thought of the parking issue though - that would be a pain !!! Maybe you could get a complimentary robot arm, like those in show bags, that could reach across the car to take the ticket on entry and give money on exit :-)

As others have said, countries in Europe have managed with the issue so why not here ?

My biggest problem is why a car of 30yrs + is more appropriate than a more modern car ???
BammasAUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Australia is the only country I know of where cars with the steering on the other side are banned.

As far as I know the law has nothing to do with safety. The law was introduced after world war 2 and was purely a trade protection issue.

Lots of left hand drive cars and trucks in the UK. Dont recall seeing "carnage" as a result.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
Australia is the only country I know of where cars with the steering on the other side are banned.

As far as I know the law has nothing to do with safety. The law was introduced after world war 2 and was purely a trade protection issue.

Lots of left hand drive cars and trucks in the UK. Dont recall seeing "carnage" as a result.

Steve
They're not exactly banned, but I think you need a 'left hand drive' sign on the back (NSW anyway)

As for safety. Like ZapXR6T said. A LOT of drivers in Oz have trouble with RHD let alone having the wheel on the wrong side!

Trade protection? After the WW2 most cars came from England!
Old 21-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
mustang70

i drive my left handed mustang a few times a week, no real problems, you get used to it. i get used to switching back and forth, sometimes unlock the wrong door to get in though :togo:
haven't had a problem country driving, long drives,heavy traffic.
here in WA anyway we have overtaking lanes frequently enough and i'm not out to set records to get anywhere.
drive through/ticket machines are tricky but you can lean across or buy a kids CLAW toy
there are certain angular intersections that make it tricky. generally my car has great visiblity though, fastbacks are definaltely trickier (in RHD too?)
really not that hard,there's plenty of people daily driving left handed vehicles here in perth anyway, US imports and seen quite a few LHD BMW, mercs etc.
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
GSfalcon500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
The main problem is overtaking. Think about when you're going to overtake, you may move slightly to the right to see if anything is coming the other way. Now from the left hand side you can't see down the right of the car you're going to overtake, so it makes it very difficult indeed.
I think if you have to move to the right to see if you can overtake your probably not in a good position to overtake,you should only overtake when you can clearly see far ahead,if you tailgate someone you cant do this,just sit back a bit and you will be able to see the road ahead and when you see a safe spot to overtake you can do so ,just like in a RHD car.

Personaly i think that we cant have new LHD cars here as a protectionist strategy so the local manufacturers stay in work,not that many aussies would buy a LHD european/american car as has already been said they have enuff trouble driving RHD ,so maby only 10% of new car sales would be LHD anyway.
The market for new LHD would be comprised mainly of car enthusiasts wanting a particular car or wealthy folk wanting a exotic the way it was designed and it was ment to be driven ,and people who want a proper pick up truck like a F-series,ram or silverado.
I dont see it as a safety thing as they let massive mobile cranes 3-4 meters wide drive LHD in heavy traffic conditions.
GSfalcon500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by msman
most(i know there are exceptions) europeans see driving as a privelage not a right, so they actually know how to drive unlike half the drivers in aus.
Actually you've got it the wrong way around, European's see driving as a right.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
As a daily driver, left hook in Australia just doesn't work. Worst thing is boom gates in carparks!

I have a 66 Mustang that has been converted to RHD. I have driven heaps of LHD ones and believe me the novelty wears off reall quick, especially when you are on your own and go through drive thru's.

With the 30 year old rule, as I understand it it is a value thing. At that age they are classed as a collectors item and can drop in value if they have major modifications. The authorities also expect that they would do limited mileage.

Couldn't help but notice that!
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #18
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Trade protection? After the WW2 most cars came from England!
Exactly, part of the British Empire. Not the USA.

No room here for some Arthur Daily type to import cheap left hand drive ex US military surplus because you cannot use it on the road.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post