Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
stera

Default Organic Material

Hi All,

Just curious to know if anybody has any experience with Organic Materials with baby clothes, to bed sheets or towels please?

Thanks!

stera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
fpr_esp
351 xe s pac

as in hemp if so i hear its good stuff had a tshirt made from hemp once was comfy and warm lol. <- random comment of the day.
Old 25-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
stera

Thanks for your 'random comment'! ha!
Old 25-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpr_esp
as in hemp if so i hear its good stuff had a tshirt made from hemp once was comfy and warm lol. <- random comment of the day.
Yeah I heard they make a good smoking jacket!!!

Organic material? Cotton, wool, leather, suede? Arent these up there or I proberly dont understand it?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Do you mean Unbleached, non colour fastened chemical processed clothes?? If so...yes. I have had experience with these. They stain alot quicker but generally they wear better and are more expensive to purchase but great for people with allergies.

You can also get clothes now that are "low allergen" but not organic!

And hemp clothes are cool!!! :disco:
Old 26-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
AUIII

My Daughters nappies are all made of hemp or bamboo the hemp ones are the best ( Haven't smoked one yet) they are made by a company called baby behinds the are shaped like a disposable and have press studs to keep them together very handy but very expensive
Old 26-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #7
stera

Sorry Ausland, Organic Clothing.. Unprocessed. Think of organic food, but with clothes! Free of pesticides, etc. Cotton, hemp, bamboo are a few of the materials used.

Louise, thats great insight, thankyou!
There are actually shirts available in a range of colours and designs/patterns now.
Its interesting that they stain easily - Can the stains be removed at all or leave permanent marks?

AUIII - Firstly, same choice of vehicle as I - You must know what your talking about!!
Thanks for your comment. Can I ask what made you buy organic nappies and approx costs for them?? I noticed that baby behinds has closed its website... You had better stock up!!

Thanks for that!
Old 26-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

This is a good website...

http://www.naturalfashion.com.au/

If you are sensitive to chemicals then Lux soap normally gets out the stains and if it is an oil stain...well you can always use more oil..like Tea tree oil.

I know that sounds weird..more oil on oil...but it works!!

I clean my house with bio-degradable solutions. The amount of bi-carb, vinegar and ammonia I have in my house would make ya head spin!!

This is a great site for cleaning stuff if you cant be bothered to make it yourself. I am just cheap! and can't see why I should pay $10 for a stain remover!! or $6 for spray and wipe when I can make it myself!!

http://www.ecoathome.com.au/products...QSearch=herbon
Old 26-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise

And hemp clothes are cool!!! :disco:

Can you roll em up and smoke when you are finished with them ???????????????

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
Can you roll em up and smoke when you are finished with them ???????????????
Get back to ya one handed typin Phil!!!
Old 26-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #11
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stera
Hi All,

Just curious to know if anybody has any experience with Organic Materials with baby clothes, to bed sheets or towels please?

Thanks!
I haven't yet had experience with those you mentioned, however I import men's underwear from South America which is made from Organic cotton.
My understanding is that the biggest difference comes from the type of cotton used. The South American cotton is some of the best in the world, they use natural dyes. The colour seems to last longer and the fibre is stronger. As with everything you have good and bad organic cottons as you do with blends (cotton, polyester etc.)
If you have any specific questions let me know, I may be able to ask my manufacturer for more details.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
stera

Not sure about rolling, but u can come fold mine for me!!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Get back to ya one handed typin Phil!!!

ill get that Rodderz if i only new where he was : : : :

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
fmc351
let it burn

When my lad was a bub, we had a tea (Ti-tree) tree mattress for him. Supposedly they can breath through it even if they roll over, anti-bacterial etc. It was easy to chuck in the car and had a shape that stopped him being able to roll out of it. Its small though, so only suitable for the fist year or so.

Worked well anyway, dont know if there were really any benefits though other than being a great porta-cot.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
stera

FMC... Ahh, I didnt know that!

A very hot tip indeed, thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #16
AUIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by stera
AUIII - Firstly, same choice of vehicle as I - You must know what your talking about!!
Thanks for your comment. Can I ask what made you buy organic nappies and approx costs for them?? I noticed that baby behinds has closed its website... You had better stock up!!

Thanks for that!
The reason we chose them is we didn't want to use disposables and they are more absorbent than cotton and they are fitted you do them up with press studs.

The cost well after weeks of wife explaining the environmental benefits and how superior they are to cloth I should of twigged it was going to be expensive we went and placed an order for them one Saturday morning and the cost was about $600.00 : :togo: that was for a starter pack I think it had 24 nappies, 48 liners, 8 covers and 36 wipes and some other stuff.

we have all we need we purchased a few more larger nappies recently, I am surprised the company closed when we brought ours we went on a 2 month waiting list and some people we knew were buying pre loved ones from ebay

There are a couple of other companies that sell them

Man having kids changes your life I would have never thought 10 months ago I would explaining the benefits of nappies on a car forum
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #17
stera

Man having kids changes your life I would have never thought 10 months ago I would explaining the benefits of nappies on a car forum [/QUOTE]

haha... Like it!

$25 a nappy... I wouldnt have thought that would be too much different to 'normal' nappies. (Can you tell I dont have kids)?!

As long as they did the trick, thats the main thing... Oh, and the fact that you listened to your wife! ha!

Thanks AU!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
farmernz

what about wool? especially merino- it breaths(warm on cold days and cool on warm days) ,it dries fast and there is a range called merino kidds. it is a natural fibre, and is more "organic" than alot of products
farmernz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #19
stera

Personally, wool makes me itch!

But your right FMZ, wool is probably 'the' most organic of all!!

Been around for ages as well!

I thought wool was mainly jumpers and ... well ... cardigans!! ha!

Will have to look into that aswell!

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #20
farmernz

organic baby clothes : www.dimples.co.nz
www.gogobag.co.nz
www.merinokids.com

due to the comfort factor (prickle factor) of superfine merino wool it is far less irratating (if at all) against the skin compared to other types of wool which have a much thicker fibre diameter than that of the merino wool. maybe silk is an option? any way hope this helps.
farmernz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post