Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Warranty. What would you do?

Ok, have a scenario about buying a 2005 XR8 with 34,000 km's.

The dealer is nearly an hour and 20 minutes away from my house.

They offer 3 year warranty's on all their cars, but it means that you must service them at there.

The car in question still has 4 months of new car warranty left.

Would you just use the 4 months as the warranty and forget about servicing it there after that?

Or would you get the extended manufacturers warranty at a cost of $1,700 and be covered by this?

Very interested in what people think or if anyone has had a similir situation.

Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm assuming this is not a ford Dealer, as I know i purchased a used ford once and it came with a ford etended used car warranty basicaly it was jsut a drive line warranty, but I could take it to any ford dealer and the warranty was still valid.

As a Mechanic I have seen plenty of people burnt with the dealer extended warrantys I wont mention names but one delt with was a shonk I ended up havign a policy that if we were doing this work we let the customer know they were liable for th ecost of the repair upon compleation and that we would submit there claim having the payment from th ecompany sent to them.

These types of extended warrnetys arent worth 2 nobs of goat sh!t as they generaly only cover drive line and even then they get real pushy on the "Normal whare and tare" clause, also read the fine print on some seals and gaskets arnt coverd + you will find on some of them there is an excess on every claim and you will be responcable for the cost of oils and coolants required for the repair + if the repair takes the components condition to better than that of normal for make model and distance traveled you MAY be required to pay a prorata cost to the repair

personaly think the car has 4 months New car warranty left thats really about it, if your conserned that you may have issues then the $1700 may b a better option

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Buy the car, get a full end of Warranty check by RAC and get any issues sorted out.
The dealer warranties aren't worth "2 knobs of goat sh!t" as Yeti pointed out.
If you really want a warranty, get the extended Ford warranty.
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just finished reading a $1100 warranty for mates secondhand X Trail ,the warranty was sent to him by dealer at Nissan here in Hervey Bay,i was amazed at all the exclusions in small print and it also had a $600 excess on each claim as well as a $2000 maximum payout ,when i pointed the crap out to him he could not believe it as basically if they actually found any fault they also had rough treatment get out of jail free clause they could use ,not worth the paper its written on,just a joke when you consider just a clutch replacement on an X Trail costs $2000,imagine trying to prove you did not ride the clutch ,not a chance of them paying out.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
just finished reading a $1100 warranty for mates secondhand X Trail ,the warranty was sent to him by dealer at Nissan here in Hervey Bay,i was amazed at all the exclusions in small print and it also had a $600 excess on each claim as well as a $2000 maximum payout ,when i pointed the crap out to him he could not believe it as basically if they actually found any fault they also had rough treatment get out of jail free clause they could use ,not worth the paper its written on,just a joke when you consider just a clutch replacement on an X Trail costs $2000,imagine trying to prove you did not ride the clutch ,not a chance of them paying out.
I can see it now, any quote for a particular repair not under warranty will be say $650, while if under the warranty the same repair will be $570.

Any repair bill that should be $1500 with additional repairs being required to other parts, will quickly increase to absorb as much of the $2000 and watch the warranty holder get stung on the additional repair costs.

I dont know how they get away with calling that a warranty? Is more like repair insurance with terrible coverage.

"We cover any repair, when caused by a heard of elephants stampeding in Australia during a snow storm on the 29th of February".
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
cupic
Nikon

just keep the remainder warranty as said previously and get it checked out.

extended warranty isn't worth squat

imagine the service cost @ fraud in 3yrs time minimum $1000
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_XR6
Ok, have a scenario about buying a 2005 XR8 with 34,000 km's.

The dealer is nearly an hour and 20 minutes away from my house.

They offer 3 year warranty's on all their cars, but it means that you must service them at there.

The car in question still has 4 months of new car warranty left.

Would you just use the 4 months as the warranty and forget about servicing it there after that?

Or would you get the extended manufacturers warranty at a cost of $1,700 and be covered by this?

Very interested in what people think or if anyone has had a similir situation.
Hi Sam, if it's an AHG warranty you're talking about then here's the deal...

They're good for 3yrs or 175,000km, whichever comes 1st, so if the car you're buying has done 100,000km already, then you have 3yrs or 75,000km till it runs out.

Now, there's 2 types of AHG warranties, there's the standard (free) one which really doesn't cover much at all, then you have the premium warranty which covers everything except the interior trim (fabrics, plastics etc).

You're only covered for $2k per claim but you can make an unlimited number of claims...

Cheers

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

Sam, forget the extra warranty. Enjoy your 4 months, get a final "once over" then find a reliable mechanic from then on !! We catching up on the weekend?
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie
Buy the car, get a full end of Warranty check by RAC and get any issues sorted out.
The dealer warranties aren't worth "2 knobs of goat sh!t" as Yeti pointed out.
If you really want a warranty, get the extended Ford warranty.

What is this "end of warranty check" by RAC?

Never heard of it.
Old 17-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
Sam, forget the extra warranty. Enjoy your 4 months, get a final "once over" then find a reliable mechanic from then on !! We catching up on the weekend?

Ahh.... remind me. We were catching up what day? Sorry dude... have forgotten. What were yours days off this week?
Old 18-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Ringo
I see you....

The only warranty's worth anything are the one that are NOT dealer specific.

Dealer specific ones are all about making you loyal to the dealership for all your servicing. The dealer spreads their risk across all the vehicles they can sell with their warranty. The kicker is that it is someone at the dealer who makes the call as to if a claim will be honoured or not. Also the fine print will probably make interesting reading seeing you know one end of the car from another.

Wood ducks get suckered into spending $ for 'piece of mind' with these deals.

If it was me I wouldn't get either, use the 4 months then take the risk of having to pay something IF something went wrong. You could have $1000 worth of work needing to be done in that time and still be $700 better off.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_XR6
What is this "end of warranty check" by RAC?

Never heard of it.
I would assume it's a bit like a car inspection you may order if you were going to buy a second hand car.

Any faults or damage found and recorded on the report can be used to back a claim you have. You would do this perhaps in the last month before your warranty expires.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
cycle myth

I've had close dealings on warranties whether, Dealer specific, manufacturer etc and the comments above are pretty spot on.

The only ones worth buying are the ones by branded by the manufacturer and even then you need to be wary of the credibility of the underwriter (insurer) behind the process.

The fine print is concerning. The attitude of the underwriter worse sometimes.

I would make sure its good before you buy with a good inspection - check it again before the warranty runs out. If you want peace of mind look at a manufacturers warranty only and weigh up the value.

Dealer backed warranty programs could be called a funding program for the Dealer's Riviera 48 at best.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle myth
I've had close dealings on warranties whether, Dealer specific, manufacturer etc and the comments above are pretty spot on.

The only ones worth buying are the ones by branded by the manufacturer and even then you need to be wary of the credibility of the underwriter (insurer) behind the process.

The fine print is concerning. The attitude of the underwriter worse sometimes.

I would make sure its good before you buy with a good inspection - check it again before the warranty runs out. If you want peace of mind look at a manufacturers warranty only and weigh up the value.

Dealer backed warranty programs could be called a funding program for the Dealer's Riviera 48 at best.

Yep, that is the approach that I am taking. RACQ inspection now, then one of their Warranty inspections before the warranty expires.
Old 20-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #15
Cooper69S

I once had a fortron warranty on a EF mont and turned out to be pretty good value (cost $1000 claimed about $4k) except that the ford dealer busted a coupla things that cost me a $70 excess each time when they put it down to warranty claims. they should have fixed it themselves at their own cost but i wouldn't have been able to prove it was their fault.
they're (fortron) not in business any more but some warranties might still be worth buying just check the fine print as everyone else has said. you're likely to be safer with ones that claim to cover everything the manufacturer covered.
I've been told that a dealer cannot force you to get your car serviced there in order to honour a warranty - to deny a claim after you had you car serviced elsewhere, they'd have to prove that the servicing had been sub-standard and caused the fault otherwise they need to honour the warranty. not being a lawyer i dunno if thats actually true but it sounds fair...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
cycle myth

Be careful.

In some cases a Dealer doesn't have to honor the warranty if you service elsewhere.

This is because they are normally giving it to you for free - and they get return through service loyalty. The trick is in reality the warranty is free as its not really worth anything.

Don't be fooled this is a service retention program for the dealer rather than protection for you.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #17
TurboUteris
Dirt Squirter

Sam,
One thing many people don't realise is that the extended warranty offered for $1700 is always negiotable.The dealer always has a mark up on these of approx half.So haggle a bit with the finance dude over the price.
Also as everybody has already said dealer warranties are usually just a way of getting you back for service and arn't worth much.But the extended Ford one is ok (underwritten by swan i think) as long as you dont modify anything,and the car has a perfect service history aswell,and you still may need authorisation from the selling dealer to service elsewhere.
Another thing is you can cancel or transfer the warranty when or if you decide to sell this car in the future.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
TurboUteris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 02:39 AM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboUteris
Sam,
One thing many people don't realise is that the extended warranty offered for $1700 is always negiotable.The dealer always has a mark up on these of approx half.So haggle a bit with the finance dude over the price.
Also as everybody has already said dealer warranties are usually just a way of getting you back for service and arn't worth much.But the extended Ford one is ok (underwritten by swan i think) as long as you dont modify anything,and the car has a perfect service history aswell,and you still may need authorisation from the selling dealer to service elsewhere.
Another thing is you can cancel or transfer the warranty when or if you decide to sell this car in the future.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
All good advice except for the last bit (sort of). Ford Factory warranty can be transferred from one owner to the next. But, depending on the type of warranty, the Ford extended warranty CANNOT be transferred - it expires once the owner who took out the extra warranty sells the vehicle; whether that's 12 months old or halfway through the extended period. Basically, if you buy a car with say 5 years warranty (and they come with 3 years from factory), that warranty is more than likely UNABLE to be transferred. If you extend the factory warranty prior to the end of the factory warranty period, then this is usually transferable, but best to check with the dealer and get the response in writing.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post