Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
ef_classic
Banned

Default Cert IV IT Traineeship.

Can anyone in the industry give me an idea on what kind of knowledge you need to undertake this traineeship?

ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would depend largely on which Cert IV in IT it actually is (ie. Network admin etc etc)
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

more info required.

as perana said which Cert IV are you talking about?
Old 29-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Just completed my Cert IV networking.

i would say basic to moderate Pc skills would be required.
also Certificate III.
Do an evaluation test at the Uni.
Old 29-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I completed a cert 4 in IT (network admininstation) at tafe, its great for all your networking stuff. One word of warning no one really cares about cert 1-4, you need to go further in tafe and do the diploma in network engineering. Most employers i have found look highly on that.

As i have completed both IT bacholar in uni and the network engineering i found that the network engineering one was more benificial for me as it was more hands on. I can honestly say i learnt 10 times more at tafe than i ever did at uni.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef_classic
Can anyone in the industry give me an idea on what kind of knowledge you need to undertake this traineeship?
Basic computers and some networking dependant on exactly which certIV , I assume you will go on to the Dip ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
ef_classic
Banned

It does not specify what field, just that it is for a local Emergency Service Provider.

I have been shortlisted from about 20 people so i must have the right stuff.
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous™
Do an evaluation test at the Uni.
Anyone know of any online tests?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
XlR8TED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
I can honestly say i learnt 10 times more at tafe than i ever did at uni.
10x more of what? Got to quantify what you're talking about...

The Uni/TAFE decision is entirely dependent on where you want to end up in IT. I'm doing Software Engineering because I like coding. So I could just as easily turn around and say that TAFE would teach me nothing & rubbish it, but then I really wouldn't be giving the right impression about how valuable it might be to someone following a different path. In other words, apples and oranges.

On another note:

"IT bacholar in uni"

I don't know what a 'bacholar' is, but if you put that on your resumee, expect to have it binned. Poor spelling and grammar made short and easy work of weeding through some applications we received recently. It's just as important as certs & quals IMO.
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSex
10x more of what? Got to quantify what you're talking about...

The Uni/TAFE decision is entirely dependent on where you want to end up in IT. I'm doing Software Engineering because I like coding. So I could just as easily turn around and say that TAFE would teach me nothing & rubbish it, but then I really wouldn't be giving the right impression about how valuable it might be to someone following a different path. In other words, apples and oranges.

On another note:

"IT bacholar in uni"

I don't know what a 'bacholar' is, but if you put that on your resumee, expect to have it binned. Poor spelling and grammar made short and easy work of weeding through some applications we received recently. It's just as important as certs & quals IMO.
ef_classic classic never really specified what course he was doing so i assumed it was network engineering/admin. Me saying i got 10 times more worth out of it than uni shows im not the type of person that just reads books and learns that way (which is what uni is). Im more of a hands on person and while me doing tafe i learnt a great deal more than i ever would have at uni.. Uni for me was irrelovent and a complete waste of time as it was not truly catered for what i wanted to do.

Also theres a bit of a difference from me writing in a forum than what i put in a resume mate. But I agree there are more important things you need other than certs and qualifications.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Old 29-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Anyone know of any online tests?
I had to do an evaluation test before going into uni. Unfortunatly there is no online test for what i did as there is a possibility of cheating. I went to CSU so other uni's might be different
Old 29-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #12
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

From my experience, Cert IV is just the waiting room for the world of IT. It will give you a basic understanding of what you are about to step into to. As for prequal - I had none, just a desire to work with computers.

I.T. is quite a vendor based industry, so once you are in the door, you'll want to start skilling up with company based certification to progress your career.
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #13
jonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal
From my experience, Cert IV is just the waiting room for the world of IT. It will give you a basic understanding of what you are about to step into to. As for prequal - I had none, just a desire to work with computers.

I.T. is quite a vendor based industry, so once you are in the door, you'll want to start skilling up with company based certification to progress your career.
Been there done that ! Just make sure that any company pays for the cert' process, many don't. It gets expensive otherwise. btw, you won't start at cert IV, probably cert 1 or 2. If your a n00b, you'd be starting at 1, which is basically Office 2003.

Also, the one's that go to Uni from TAFE do better in courses. Even ACS say this.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post