Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
GSH
AU2 XR8

Default P-Plate Legal Car Thats Fast.

Hey guys.

Was just reading this. All though we dont have the restrictions in W.A which we really should. Kids over hear dont have a clue how to drive. Read this anyway.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_3084/article.html

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSH
Hey guys.

Was just reading this. All though we dont have the restrictions in W.A which we really should. Kids over hear dont have a clue how to drive. Read this anyway.

It was legal until the law changed in July to make any vehicles with forced induction illegal for P platers to drive.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 04:35 AM   #3
GSH
AU2 XR8

ah ok fair enough i didnt know that. They need to make it you have to have a moped for your first transport for 2 years

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSH
Hey guys.

Yes because so many P-platers that die/ are injured on the roads are driving a "high-performance" car at the time.

Get off your high horse, as a minority group P-platers in general drive great compared to others (like asian(s) women, old people and generic falcadore drivers).

Today Tonight will probably take interest in your views though..
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Get off your high horse, as a minority group P-platers in general drive great compared to others (like asian(s) women, old people and generic falcadore drivers).
That's one of the most stupid things I've ever read here.

Many of us here were P-platers once, and I'm sure many will agree that a) in general, P-platers are FAR from being great (or even good) drivers, and b) as former P-platers we all now realise, with due humility, just how true a) is.

Although 'George' in the example at the url that was posted appears to be a relatively intelligent specimen, the sorry truth is that most P-platers who drive (or aspire to drive) powerful cars are in way over their heads. Restriction is required, if only to prevent their parents, siblings and friends from the anguish of having to attend their funerals, and worse, having to attend the funeral of passengers killed by inexperienced drivers. 12 months of experience is inexperience - 5 years of experience is still inexperience. You may not understand now, but if you make it to 10 years of experience you might get a grasp of this.

I rolled an LJ XU1 replica at 17 - too much power. I've never had an at-fault crash since, so I learned a lesson, and thankfully the crash did not kill the mate who was in the car with me. Since then I've had some serious hardware - Brock Commodores, hot Chev-powered Holdens, a 911, and now fast bikes - but I've always respected the potential for the hardware to kill me. If you don't have that, you probably shouldn't even be in a Hyundai Excel.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 02:19 AM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Yes because so many P-platers that die/ are injured on the roads are driving a "high-performance" car at the time.

That must be one of the most...why bother. :
Old 24-10-2007, 02:22 AM   #7
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah well how come more than 60% of road deaths are young males 17 to 25 and the majority of those are in their teens.

The idea is stop these young Peter Brock wannabes from loading up their Clubby or Rex with all their mates and go out and hit a tree at high speed killing them all.

Just follow a P plater at night with his mates in the car and it won't take long to see him do somethin' stupid, moreso if its wet and then if another P plater turns up it's on for young and old.

I like it up here on my high horse, good view.
Old 24-10-2007, 02:23 AM   #8
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

not one of these again ... look guys just because we are P-platers, doesn't we can't drive just as good, if not better than most of you ... alright i agree that alot of P-platers can't drive for nuts ... but what about those of us who find it natural to drive??

im not blowing my trumpet here ... but im a p-platter and i consider myself a very good driver ... if you want proof, ask!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 02:25 AM   #9
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Yeah well how come more than 60% of road deaths are young males 17 to 25 and the majority of those are in their teens.

The idea is stop these young Peter Brock wannabes from loading up their Clubby or Rex with all their mates and go out and hit a tree at high speed killing them all.

Just follow a P plater at night with his mates in the car and it won't take long to see him do somethin' stupid, moreso if its wet and then if another P plater turns up it's on for young and old.

I like it up here on my high horse, good view.
so basically, you don't want P-plater driving high performance vehicles??

can you define a high performance vehicle for me?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 24-10-2007, 02:31 AM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
so basically, you don't want P-plater driving high performance vehicles??

can you define a high performance vehicle for me?
Yes to your first question.

2nd question, apparently this is it, "The official definition of a high power car is one having a power to weight ratio in excess of 125kW per tonne or an engine capacity to weight ratio over 3.5 litres per tonne"
Old 24-10-2007, 02:31 AM   #11
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:

ACA/TT might take interest in your unfounded, racist/discriminatory views though.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 02:33 AM   #12
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Yes to your first question.

2nd question, apparently this is it, "The official definition of a high power car is one having a power to weight ratio in excess of 125kW per tonne or an engine capacity to weight ratio over 3.5 litres per tonne"
nothing over 125kW's ... thats pathetic ... what do they want us to do? drive around in lancers and colts?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 24-10-2007, 02:36 AM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not one of these again ... look guys just because we are P-platers, doesn't we can't drive just as good, if not better than most of you ... alright i agree that alot of P-platers can't drive for nuts ... but what about those of us who find it natural to drive??

im not blowing my trumpet here ... but im a p-platter and i consider myself a very good driver ... if you want proof, ask!
Of course you are, if you say so.
I've heard that one before though. usually as a quote from a mate or relative of a guy who thought he was peter Brock and just wrapped himself around a tree or something.

I'm just saying P platers have to travel a lot of miles and experience a lot of different driving conditions before they can begin to class themselves as good drivers.
Old 24-10-2007, 02:50 AM   #14
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

well, maybbe your right ... but good drivers dont only have the skill, but the maturity levels not to do stupid things!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 24-10-2007, 02:56 AM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

This thread is ridiculous, P platers may be good drivers but lack experience. I don't think you can paint any group with the same brush as there will be good and bad drivers in all groups. The reason behind all the restrictions on P platers is because of the lack of experience (no one can deny that) and the fact that they are over represented in the statistics. The current system of banning P platers from driving "high powered" vehicles is a very very flawed system (Vic/NSW system I am talking about) and will never be as good as proper driver training and education. To those that claim to be "good" drivers, show me how that is true. To me it just seems cocky.
Old 24-10-2007, 02:57 AM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
nothing over 125kW's ... thats pathetic ... what do they want us to do? drive around in lancers and colts?
125kw per tonne, that is plenty cosidering a Falcon weighs in at 1700 odd kilo. That puts the figure at close to 200kw for that weight.
Old 24-10-2007, 03:02 AM   #17
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
125kw per tonne, that is plenty cosidering a Falcon weighs in at 1700 odd kilo. That puts the figure at close to 200kw for that weight.
well when you put it that way ... thats not that bad! i wish i had 200kw's at my rear wheels
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 24-10-2007, 03:24 AM   #18
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
well when you put it that way ... thats not that bad! i wish i had 200kw's at my rear wheels
That's in fwkw, so basically a standard Falcon/Commodore. More than enough to gain experience in and still be able to tow/do anything that you'll ever need. This whole no forced induction thing is ridiculous though, I can't really see how a Turbo Diesel VW Golf, Ford Focus, Mazda6/3 or even a Patrol or Cruiser would be classed as high performance.
Old 24-10-2007, 04:02 AM   #19
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
No... those are far too small for the egos of young male drivers to fit in. I believe Ford and Holden created large powerful cars to solve just this problem.
1969 Kombi
Old 24-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #20
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
I can't really see how a Turbo Diesel VW Golf, Ford Focus, Mazda6/3 or even a Patrol or Cruiser would be classed as high performance.
one of the best things you can do to be informed is called RESEARCH.

What can’t I drive?
As a probationary driver, if you obtain your licence from 1 July 2007 onwards, you can't drive a vehicle with:

* Eight or more cylinders;
* A turbocharged or supercharged engine;
* An engine that has been modified to improve its performance; and/or
* One of the nominated high performance six cylinder vehicles which include BMW M and M3, Honda NSX, Nissan 350Z, Porsche (all models) and Mercedes Benz SLK350.

These restrictions do not include:

* Diesel powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles (without engine performance modifications);
* Nominated vehicles with low powered turbocharged or supercharged engines including Suzuki Cappucino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 cylinder 698cc, Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible 4 cylinder 659cc;
* All models of the Smart car produced by Mercedes Benz; and
* Vehicles driven as a part of the driver’s employment and at the request of the employer.

i suggest EVERYONE that feels the need to add their 2 cents READ all the information FIRST.
http://gls.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/pp...hicles_ps.html
http://gls.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/in...nts&Itemid=106
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #21
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Must've changed it, I remember even the Herald Sun having a go at that law. Now I agree with it, P platers don't need anything more powerful than that whilst gaining experience. Still is a compromised system and there are better ways, but better ways are inevitably more expensive so therefore not as attractive to the powrrs that be.
Old 24-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #22
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

I think some of you guys missed my point.

Im not saying P-platers are BETTER drivers or that they are even great, but in my experience (which is at least 2-4 hours on the road per day for last few years) they are no worse than any of the other stereotypes which were given.
You just notice and remember them because they have a big red P up there to identify them with.

My bad, i forgot to put in the "tongue-in-cheek" smiley when I posted about the stereotypes.

Anyway, ive been in a supercharged V6 commie and they re hardly fast. In fact id say my stocko EA was faster.
They say speed is the problem these days, well every car ive had could easily do 180kmh (except the van which topped out at 140!) so I could get in to trouble in no matter what im in.

BTW Im not a P-plater so my opinion matters!!!!
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #23
Kryton

Quote:
ive been in a supercharged V6 commie and they re hardly fast.
actually, im glad you bought this up.
this brings us straight back to what the thread was originally about, the XU6 commodore.
while the articles mentions that its some sort of secret weapon etc, just remember why the XU6 got the shaft when it did.
for those that dont know the reason, the XU6 had been pushed to its engineering limits, even supercharged it couldnt manage outstanding power figure.
then, along came something called the BA falcon, even in base form, the XT had more power than a high end supercharged 6 called the XU6.
Holden/HSV promptly put the XU6 out of production, as you would when a povo pack can give your performance model a run for its money.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #24
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You just notice and remember them because they have a big red P up there to identify them with.
That's the only reason.

As a P Plater, I hardly consider myself to be a great driver, but I don't think I'm better than everyone else.

IMO no one is a good driver. We've all broken road rules before, even if it's slightly.

I can't count the number of times I've gone over the speed limit by 5ks, or fail to indicate at the appropriate time.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 04:44 AM   #25
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Ryan, it's not so much about the road rules, despite what the pollies and road authorities would have you believe. The issue is with inexperienced drivers behind the wheels of vehicles that are too powerful for them.

I agree that the regulation of vehicles is draconian; consider it a start. With a bit of time (and lobbying - hint) we will see the rules become more realistic as far as what P-platers are allowed to drive.
1969 Kombi