Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
Ronza

Default Need Help Please With Electrical Problem!!!

Gday all new to the forum but am having a few major problems with my AU series 1 XL UTE ok recent problems iv had which has gotten worse the engine loses major power while travelling along at 100 kms it loses power and fluctuates and when you say enter an intersection and go from revs to idle stop then go to take off the car just sits and splutters and barely moves nearly caused me a few crashes too !!!

Had it into the mechanics and after putting the scanning tool over it came up with a code which had distributor less ignition fault and i know AU's run coil packs so any help would be much appreciated i have replaced many things since problem began which include plugs, leads, fuel pump and filter, tmap sensor, new extractors and cat, reco injectors, and yeh still problems!!!

The mechanic also said maybe change the computer and try well here is where problems now lie i managed to get a replacement ecu or eec as they are called cost me $165 and have fitted it now the ute will not even crank over the smart lock just flashes madly at me is there any way i can program new computer into my body control module without a computer !!!

Please if anyone got any advice yell out cause im lost on ideas now and my ute will not start!!!

cheers Ronza!!!

Ronza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronza
Gday all new to the forum but am having a few major problems with my AU series 1 XL UTE ok recent problems iv had which has gotten worse the engine loses major power while travelling along at 100 kms it loses power and fluctuates and when you say enter an intersection and go from revs to idle stop then go to take off the car just sits and splutters and barely moves nearly caused me a few crashes too !!!

Had it into the mechanics and after putting the scanning tool over it came up with a code which had distributor less ignition fault and i know AU's run coil packs so any help would be much appreciated i have replaced many things since problem began which include plugs, leads, fuel pump and filter, tmap sensor, new extractors and cat, reco injectors, and yeh still problems!!!

The mechanic also said maybe change the computer and try well here is where problems now lie i managed to get a replacement ecu or eec as they are called cost me $165 and have fitted it now the ute will not even crank over the smart lock just flashes madly at me is there any way i can program new computer into my body control module without a computer !!!

Please if anyone got any advice yell out cause im lost on ideas now and my ute will not start!!!

cheers Ronza!!!
You need to get the car towed to Ford so that they can match the ECU and BEM together before your car will start.

You didn't say the coilpack has been replaced, and that was my first guess. I'd put the old ECU back in, and replace the coilpack and see how that goes - if still no fix, then put new ECU in and get the car towed to Ford.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 02:06 AM   #3
Ronza

cheers jc thanks for advice!!!
well i put old ecu back in and she is running and driving again but still like a wet dog flat spotting and power fluctuations i called ford and they said they could only do the same as my other mechanic and isolate problem down to one area with anywgere upto 10 different components to test in area and by saying testing they mean pulling parts off and replacing and trying which could cost quite alot they said so yeh its starting to look like its gonna cost quite alot!!
any other help be great cheers Ronza!!!
Old 20-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Power fluctuations like that can only really be one or more of 3 or 4 things:

1. Spark - so that means Coilpacks (and leads/plugs - but you said you replaced plugs and leads already)
2. CPS (Crank Position sensor)
3. Cam lobes worn away
4. Oh, and I suppose fuel delivery, but looks like you've replaced most of the fuel side of it too.

I'm putting money on 1 or 2, with 3 as a possible, but unlikely culprit
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
Ronza

cheers JC thinkin bout changin coil pack i probably should of mentioned the ute has done approx 390,000 kms now so the cam lobes being worn is not out of the question i guess will keep posted as to results as it goes back into mechanics on monday to do more problem solving but might grab a coil pack tommorow and at least try that 1st cheers.. for all help!!!
Old 20-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

If you got 390000km without changing a coil pack I would buy a lottery ticket
Change it first. If I get 200000km from them I am happy.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Ronza

ok well further updates i bought a second hand coil pack and fitted that more new plugs and new leads and still ute remains lacking power spluttering and slugish so now i have no idea its off to the mechanics 1st thing monday morning and hopefully he can fix problem by tues as im ment to head off thurs to new south wales in it so yeh i have no idea now its a total confusing thing!!!
Old 22-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

hi, please let me know how you go because i just posted in EF Technical with the same problem. does yours have a vibration with the loss of power??? i need my car for work so i need as much help as i can get. I noticed JC said Crank pos sensor, i just degreased my engine so maybe i got it a bit to wet?????

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #9
Ronza

ok re changed fuel inline filter too lots of crap in that so yeh not good but still flat spotting so what next mechanics computer i guess dam it!!!

ef that sounds like the old water in the dizzy trick but ef would not have a dizzy so could be water has got into a sensor or maybe even into your coil pack mains plug cheers...
Old 23-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #10
Ronza

ok re changed fuel inline filter too lots of crap in that so yeh not good but still flat spotting so what next mechanics computer i guess dam it!!!

ef that sounds like the old water in the dizzy trick but ef would not have a dizzy so could be water has got into a sensor or maybe even into your coil pack mains plug cheers...
Old 23-09-2007, 06:05 AM   #11
T-Pak Addict
Jim

have you changed the O2 sensor, they stuff up all the time. That would be my first thing to change

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #12
Ronza

Well bad news today it looks as though my ute may have stuffed its 2nd fuel pump in less than 2years the mechanic is almost 100% positive as its only pushin out less than 150 psi instaed of 250 plus psi fuel pressure so its a bugger but what do ya do will keep posted if this fixes problem cheers...
Old 24-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
chrispie123
Banned

dont straight away think that i had a near similar thing and it was the fuel pump sock was full of crud, i degreased it put it back in and it was fine
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
Ronza

ok thanks yeah it takes hours to change or work on one on a ute tank hasta be dropped out and tail shaft out too nightmare!! but will mention to mechanic as i changed filter that was not that old and it was dirty as hell with craP so yeh not sure il see what he says i guess either way im up for bulk hrs in labour!!!
Old 24-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #15
Crash Lander

My wife's Commodore had similar sounding symptoms, and it turned out to be a regulator on the back of the alternator. It wasn't supplying enough voltage to the fuel pump (or other components obviously). Cost me about 4 fifths of stuff all, and 15 minutes under the bonnet to change the part. Is that a possibility in the AU?
Old 25-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #16
Robe

Thumbs up

Ronza, please keep us updated on this one. There is a lot to be learned about a donk that has achieved 390,000.

I am at 240,000 and was beginning to wonder about life span. I should not say it but my wagon still runs sweet (touch wood, throw the salt over my shoulder, blessed be the god of octane, Hail Henry, etc.).

Sorry about your continuing problems but this is a bit like watching Australia's Funniest Videos where the entertainment lies in someone else's misfortune.

Thanks mate and I hope you find the fix real soon.

Bog standard silver BF Wagon, except for the Elvis doll , on gas.

Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Association
www.VRRDA.com.au

2015 Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance State Championships
23 May 2015, Furlan Club, Thornbury
Robe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #17
T-Pak Addict
Jim

mines at 811,000. Plenty of life yet LOL

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronza
Well bad news today it looks as though my ute may have stuffed its 2nd fuel pump in less than 2years the mechanic is almost 100% positive as its only pushin out less than 150 psi instaed of 250 plus psi fuel pressure so its a bugger but what do ya do will keep posted if this fixes problem cheers...
sounds a bit like dodgey fuel might be a possibility, does your mechanic have too fully empty the tank to get at the pump? if not it would have been interesting to see whats in the bottom.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #19
Ronza

ok still gotta wait till next week now the mechanic has became crook so not much can do but will say i put through the fuel system a bottle of fuel treatment and things have improved a little but still have flat spot just gotta drive it carefully il keep all posted when i know some more cheers!!