Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What type of helmet do you prefer to race in?
Standard Type Helmet 31 62.00%
Motocross Type Helmet 19 38.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-01-2005, 08:59 PM   #31
MRJUCY
Fordless

One thing I did find was that it was easier to hear what the officials were saying to me when I was wearing a motocross helmet but I don't know if thats a general thing or just brand/model specific
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #32
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use either - as long as they are approved. But then, how quick a car? normal street meet in a fairly stock car is all the racing I've done.
Old 28-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #33
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I've got a full face jobbie I paid 250 odd for. I took the visor out to cool it down a bit, the way I see it it's just a piece of plastic, 9 out of 10 objects that go straight into it with enough force to cause damage to my face will go straight through it anyway.

The visor on a ADR approved helmet can withstand a ballbearing shot at it at like 400km/hr or some insane speed like that. They are pretty important which is why even the visor must meet the proper standards.

I heard a story when I went for my L's that a guy had his visor up at night and copped a grasshopper through his eye at 100km/hr and it went into his brain and killed him.
I have copped a few stones to my visor from behind cars travelling at about 80km/hr and I thank god that my visor was down. The rocks hit damn hard when your hooning along.

I have a $450 motorbike helmet that I use on my bike and for racing and if it good enough to be sold here for a bike then it is fine for a drag race. All helmets sold in australia for motorbike must meet the same australian standards.

You can get fined for not having a proper ADR approved helmet on the road. You can even get done if you remove the ADR approval stickers off the helmet.

Last edited by dansedgli; 28-01-2005 at 11:07 AM.
dansedgli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 11:43 AM   #34
oneredED
need more boost

I have a couple of helmets sitting on the shelf in my room. One is a full-face from my go-kart days, and another is a good quality motorcross one. If my car was faster than say 12 seconds, i'd definately go the full face. The front of a motorcross helmet is not designed to slam into a steering wheel (then again you'd probably have good seat belts in a quick car...). The bit that covers your mouth can shatter if enough force is applied to it front on, and the resulting facial injuries won't be pretty.

I wouldn't have thought this to be the case, but my little bro stacked his XR400 at 100km/h into a couple of gum-trees (followed by a guidepost and a fence), and this happened to his $500 helmet (he was out-cold with 5 broken vertebrae in his neck!). Luckily, the mouth part snapped to the side, and not straight into his face. (Oh, it's 6 months later now and he's fine in case anyone was wondering)

That said, the motorcrosser helmet is far lighter, breathes much better (especially around the mouth), is more comfortable, and you are more aware of your surroundings whilst you have it on as opposed to the full face. I think as long as the officials let you wear it, it's just up to personal preference.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P

Last edited by oneredED; 28-01-2005 at 11:47 AM.
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 06:50 AM   #35
bowsaw

I heard a story when I went for my L's that a guy had his visor up at night and copped a grasshopper through his eye at 100km/hr and it went into his brain and killed him.

Dont know about that, I have been hit by hoppers, bees( went down side of helmet, wasnt fun) betles, in the eyes etc, never went in my brain, certainly not at 100km/h, mmmmm.
bowsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 08:22 AM   #36
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The primary reason that rally drivers still use open face helmets is peripheral vision and (having a rally background) it's still my preferred choice. From the absolute safety stance I acknowledge the additional risk to (particlarly) the lower facial area but I'm too old and set in my ways to change now.

As the original question asked about drag racing, the peripheral vision issue doesn't really apply and thus the additional protection provided by a full face helmet is certainly preferable.

Given that visors seem to be getting smaller and many classes of professional racing have now introduced seats with large wings either side of the hemet I wonder how anyone is going to be able to have a clear view of what's around them but safety is the name of the game now.

The earlier comments relating to buying the highest standard of helmet you can afford are valid ones but they also need to be balanced against what competition use you are going to put it to - the odd drag day in a street car running 13+ is not as demanding of a helmet as regular track days or hill climbs although you can get hurt doing any of them.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 02:45 AM   #37
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

This may be better for the Sourman

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #38
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$950 for a CAMS helmet! Why the hell is it so expensive?

I ride everyday and entrust my life with a well built $400 Shoei full face helmet (was on sale, usually $750, but bike shops are always having sales).

I have been drag racing (in a car) and wore my Shoei helmet - as has been said, it does get a little hot.

Motorcross ones would be better in that you get more room around the mouth and they have better vision.

Though personally I would wear an open face. Although I despise them for bikes (as has been said, bye bye face), I see no issue with using them in amateur drag racing. I mean you are in a controlled environment, 400 metres long, with a steel cage to protect you and most of these cars would have airbags - I dont see the issue unless you step into pro racing.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #39
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsaw
Did you get your L's at Hart in Kilsyth? I was told the same story.
Old 24-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #40
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I prefer the motocross style,just easier to use on the strip..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #41
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I choose my moto cross helmet over my roadbike helmet, not for more protection, but for the extra room in front of the mouth for breathing, it gets dam hot when waiting in line to race.
A motocross style will suit your needs best Sourbastard.

If it gets hot, just turn on the airconditioner !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post