Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
damo03
BBQ gas User

Default accident...what to do?

Hi guys.

A silly driver (the sex, race, and car type driver we all love to go on about) turned right infront of me today as i was going straight through a intersection at 60kph with a green light. I hit the anchors and unfortunatly hit her rear quarter panel with the front left quarter of my car.

Now I she rekins the light was red as I was going through it but this is bullS**T as it was green when i took my eyes off the lights to go through, so giving her the benifit of the doubt if may have become orange, but she still should have waited and if she had not gone slow she would have easily made it thru but cos she basically idled through i hit her. My skid marks from the white line on my end of the intersection show how long i was braking for before I hit her...about 10m of skid plus probably 5m of braking.

Now my question is, since I have a old crap XF and the repair quotes are around $2000, assuming all goes well and she is found in the wrong (which she is) is there any way I can negotiate with her insurance company to get paid out the market value / insurance cost rather than have them repair my crap car? I really dont want to have them replace the bonet / bumper and respray my crap old xf.

If people with similar experiences could let me know how they went about it that would be great.

Damo

Old 16-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

you certainly can negotiate. Just discuss with the assessor.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
slo351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the repair damage is 2g. you will more than likely be paid out, as the car is not worth that much (according to insurance company)
slo351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

like it or not, unless its a mint XF, theres no way in hell they're gonna assess the value as being in excess of the repair cost sufficiently to warrant a repair
Old 16-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Dezza
Parts bin special

Sorry to hear about the accident Damo. It wouldn't surprise me if they just wrote it off seeing as it wouldn't be worth much. Was that the Ghia that it happened in?

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't matter what she thinks Damo. She is in the wrong by law for turning against on coming traffic. Good luck with your claim.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
damo03
BBQ gas User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
Sorry to hear about the accident Damo. It wouldn't surprise me if they just wrote it off seeing as it wouldn't be worth much. Was that the Ghia that it happened in?
Yeah that was the ghia mate. But she was a bit sorry looking than when you last saw it. She had been in another accident since and I havent been polishing it now that I have a ute and motorbike to care for, but was still a great daily driver to leave at uni all day and not worry about!

I'll chat to some insurance assessors tomorrow about the option of being paid out.
Old 16-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo03
Yeah that was the ghia mate. But she was a bit sorry looking than when you last saw it. She had been in another accident since and I havent been polishing it now that I have a ute and motorbike to care for, but was still a great daily driver to leave at uni all day and not worry about!

I'll chat to some insurance assessors tomorrow about the option of being paid out.
Yeah, that was a while back when I last saw it! I think it was 2005! It didn't look too bad back then. Shame about it's current state. Here's a pic of our cars together back then

Mine looks a bit different these days too! Go the single centre cap!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this taken from redbook

Red Book Code FORD87BR
1987 FORD FAIRMONT

XF Ghia Sedan 4dr Man 5sp 4.1i
National average price - private sale* $1,200 - $2,700
Price when new (RRP) $28,331
all prices quoted are GST inclusive

hope this helps to get it sorted

sorry to hear about the accident

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That happend to a GF of mine once. Cop told her "its not her fault even if the light was red because the other car turned in front of you"
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I reckon you'd get paid out. Same thing happened to me 2 christmas's ago in my old KF Laser. Car turned in front of me exactly as you described. I got paid out even though I wanted them to fix it.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
GT-E

I had a $500 valiant and got hit by a chick going straight ahead from a right turn only lane and T boned me.
I got a few quotes of $4,000 and took it to NRMA for assessing (her ins co).
The guy told me that he would give me $500 for the piece of s..t and that I should count myself lucky. I let him go on and on about what a piece of crap my car was.
After he was finnished he said he would get me the cheque for $500 and I was lucky. I told him no, I would go up stairs to speak to his boss and tell him what was said down stairs. The guy said wait and came back with $4,000.
Car was fully drivable and the damage was hard to notice.....Score one for the poor guy.
Old 17-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #13
mattsAU1

As far as i know the damage bill has to be greater than %70 of the book value of the car before an insurance company will write your car off but unless you have comprehensive insurance with the option of agreed value, im pretty sure if she is found to be in the wrong (which in my oppinion she will be) you will only be paid the book value for the car. Sorry to hear bout the XF man, my first car was almost identical to yours.
Old 17-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
pottsy44

this happened to me last night except i was going *cough* 130km/h *cough* and i had a green and this lady in a 4wd pull out infront of me, i locked the brakes for a slip second by managed to just bypass her and narrowly missing the median strip.

i accept that i was mainly to blame but still, ****, you just dont pull out infront of someone like that.
pottsy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #15
holmsy
Banned

well she was in the wrong. it just wouldent have helped that you wer going faster then you wer supposed to so she wasnt expecting you to be there so quick.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Generally if damage > redbook/glass' guide value, the insurer will seek to have the car flagged as a statuatory write off.... particularly when its a third party claim (i.e. her insurance).

However, insurers have different claims management policies... so when fault is apportioned and you proceed to the claim then ask the liable insurer what the deal is.

Quote:
That happend to a GF of mine once. Cop told her "its not her fault even if the light was red because the other car turned in front of you"
I think the insurance company insuring the person turning right might tend to disagree with that one.
Old 17-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottsy44
this happened to me last night except i was going *cough* 130km/h *cough* and i had a green and this lady in a 4wd pull out infront of me, i locked the brakes for a slip second by managed to just bypass her and narrowly missing the median strip.

i accept that i was mainly to blame but still, ****, you just dont pull out infront of someone like that.
Breach of road rules (particularly if said breach is verging on criminal negligence) can have a serious impact on at-fault apportioning.

Insurers like witness reports.

Besides if you're plowing into 4 wheel drives at 130km/hr... insurance issues are irrelevant. Most policies terminate cover when insured is deceased.
Old 17-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Besides if you're plowing into 4 wheel drives at 130km/hr... insurance issues are irrelevant. Most policies terminate cover when insured is deceased.
Excellent excellent point.

If you were doing the speed limit maybe you wouldn't have had to lock your wheels........ But whatever, this has been done to death.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #19
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Most policies terminate cover when insured is deceased.
That is completely incorrect information.
It simply means the insured person becomes the insured persons estate.
If a payout is made for a deceased person it gets paid to the estate to be distributed to the benifactor of the estate.
Old 17-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #20
Ridin-High

I was turning Right @ a round about today and when was just coming out of it a oldish lady in a noddy car failed to give way, lucky i was on the ball and got on the brakes quick smart, if i was going about 10km quicker or had entered the round about 2 secs early i would have T boned her.

No word of a line about 2 mins early to that happening i was thinking "**** i would crack the shits if i was in a accident (recently serviced my car)"

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post