Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Focus @ idle

Well it seems i have my first little issue with the car - when im waiting to pull out onto the road (so foot on brake, in D and waiting), the car seems to wobble a bit - you can feel it idling through the whole car. It only seems to do it on the driveway out of work which is on a slight angle, so im not sure what could be doing it, and it doesnt do it everytime.

Any ideas on what i can look for myself, and what i can tell the service boys when i take it back? Its going back for some very minor things so this will be another to add to the list.
Old 22-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

bit rough is it. almost asthough the car is about to stall??
what rpm does it idle at when its doing this.
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 11:35 PM   #3
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

A big block Focus that has a lumpy cam so it throbs when its idle!

out:

Tell them it's idling too low and you want it rectified, plus a new computer tune with the Zetec settings coz its low on power, like I did! (well, it's true, every Focus is hahaha).

Tim!
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 12:04 AM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm unsure if its the idling or something else though, because there is only that one instance where it does it - at traffic lights etc it idles just fine - not lumpy or anything at all.

I dont want to set idle up too high either, and the Zetec Tune is on the to do list but im unsure if i will go ahead due to the PULP thing. 99% of the time i run PULP but if for some reason its not available i dont want it to stuff up on me. That and i feel its still drinking a little too much atm (actually could that be related to the problem?).
Old 23-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Could it be a loose rear engine mount perhaps? I know I had a dodgy one from new and it may be more common, might explain why it only happens on an angle (or potentially high rpm which you wouldn't really be pushing yet).
Old 23-04-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
brother

Will ford re-tune for a different (aftermarket) exhaust? Mine idles higher than it used to and over time I get soot accumulation on the bottom of my exhaust tip. Every now and then mine idles lumpy and feels like it's going to stall. Mostly in the mornings. I just throw it in neutral, let the clutch out and put the clutch it back in, grab first and it's fine.
brother is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sounds very familiar. No I don't believe any manufacturer is required to (nor will they) retune for aftermarket mods, that's where you'd need a powerchip or simlar to match your mods. I also get the sooty tip and lumpy idle, but it's all worth it. Am currently working on a solution.