Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
apoc
AUII I6

Default Busted wheel bearing

Hey again people,

Recently when i have been leaving to go to work, i have noticed that when i turn sharply to the left i can hear my brakes rubbing. I have also heard a whiring noise whilst on the highway. So i decided i have probably got a bung wheel bearing. I just want to confirm what i discovered and see what is needed to fix the bearing.

I jacked the car up one wheel at a time, starting on the passenger side as this was where the sound seemed to be coming from. Front wheel was solid no slop in it while pulling top and bottom no bad sounds while rotating wheel. This i would think says the bearing is fine... both the drivers side front and rear were the same as the PS front wheel.

However the second wheel i tested being the PS rear, when i was pulling on the wheel top to bottom it was clonking a bit. thinking that maybe i could pull out the bearing repack it and whack it back in, i started to take things off, wheel, brake caliper, after giving the rotor a jiggle now i could pull the hub in and out about 2-3mm (i figured that the brakes were holding the rotor). When the hub is pulled to the out position i could get a fair bit of slop jiggling top and bottom of rotor, pushed in however the slop is gone.

I took the rotor off next trying to see if i could get to this bearing, this didn't really help. Coming to my own conclusion that the wheel bearing must be shagged and the cause of my brakes squeeling a bit, and undecided as to what i could do next, i decided to whack it all back togethter.

So does what i have described above sound like a busted wheel bearing?

If it is a busted wheel bearing, what do i have to replace? I have heard that the front wheel hub and bearing are a sort of one piece assembly. Is this the same for the rear?

What is the procedure for replacing the necessary part(s) to fix my problem.

Cheers again,
Apoc.

apoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the rear is a separate bearing
they are nice and simple to replace from what i have read

its the fronts that are a single hub bearing unit
Old 04-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you got irs or live axle rear?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
apoc
AUII I6

Hey cheers for the responses,

blackers10 - "they are nice and simple to replace from what i have read" any chance of getting a rundown on this or a reference to some sort of howto? Im still searching the forum, found a howto for front bearing..

bodes-sh - "have you got irs or live axle rear?" Im not 100% sure on this : but my wheels are stuck together by the diff so im guesing its not IRS, i fugure IRS would have little axle balljointy thingos between diff and wheels

Thanks,
Apoc
Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The first point I should make is to either have a press of some description, or another car to take the axles somewhere to get the old bearings pressed off and the new ones pressed on.

if it's live axle, you're best of doing both sides at the same time. Basically what you have already done, drain the diff oil, jack the whole rear end up, pull the wheels, calipers, discs off, then behind the axle face i guess...where the discs sit on the car, there will be four bolts holding a cover plate on, undo these, then you need to basically grab hold of the end of the axle and pull. They take a bit of force to remove, but when done you should have the whole axle shaft in your lap...

Then take the axles probably to a driveshaft shop, unless you buy new bearings first, and get them to do the pressing for you...i got mine done on an ea about 3 years ago, i did take them to ford with new bearings and paid $90 to get them to do it...i'm sure it would be cheaper somewhere else tho
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
apoc
AUII I6

Hey cheers bodes, thats about all i wanted to hear I think i will take it to someone this week with a bit of luck and get them to do it.

L8r,
Apoc.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If you don't have a press ... it's a right PITA job for the rears.

Oh ... and your hands stink for days afterwards from the diff oil ... when you handle the axle after you have pulled it out.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
AUTickford
XD197

That sounds like the handbrake noise to me, to check your rear wheel bearings get up to 60 or 70 km on an open road[so you can swerve hard back and forth] and you should hear a clunk or knocking if the bearings are shagged.Thats how they are tested at a professional place,quick and easy.By the way, stay in your own lane while doing this.Diff bearings are quite common on au,s
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post