Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
EA Ghia

Default Chrome Strips on Ghia

Well after lurking on here for a long time, I thought it was about time I started posting, this place is full of good ideas and inspiration for my car ('90 EA Fairmont Ghia), and actually made me decide against selling it and upgrading.
This was probably one of the best decisions I've made, because during the christmas break (and $1000 later), I got a sports exhaust, Pacemaker extractors and some Ultra Low King Springs, I'm 100% happy with my car again.

What I want to know though, is it possible to get something to replace the chrome strips that go around the body of the car. The ones on the side are starting to peel, I'm assuming they're just basically "stickers" that peel off, while the one on the front bumper is starting to crack. I was thinking of just painting over them with chrome spray-paint from repco or something, but If there is a better solution, I'd like to hear it. I'm not really one for color coding the whole car, but I was thinking of even painting the chrome strip the same color as the car and leaving the grey plastic there (like the S-Pac's).

But anyway, whats the best thing to do with these chrome strips that doesn't involve ripping them off?

Here's some pictures so you know what I'm talking about.

The front bumper

The side strips that are peeling.

Also, there is a bit of rust on one of my wheel arches. What's the best way to get rid (or stop it getting worse) of it?

And Here's a couple of pictures of my car itself. I'm still surprised at how much difference lowering it can do, makes it look a hell of a lot better than it used to!

Hope to be coming on a few cruises soon. How do you get one of those e-series bumper stickers anyway??

EA Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

The front and rear bumper inserts are seperate chrome strips that can be removed. They cost about $5 a meter from ford and you will need about 5meters. Unfortunately the ones on the side are one peice with the side moulding, so the easiest way is just to buy some chrome sticker to lay over the top of the old crap...

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
nlfbt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
The front and rear bumper inserts are seperate chrome strips that can be removed. They cost about $5 a meter from ford and you will need about 5meters. Unfortunately the ones on the side are one peice with the side moulding, so the easiest way is just to buy some chrome sticker to lay over the top of the old crap...
Does anyone know if this also applies to NL Fairlanes? i.e. are the front and back "corner" silver strips replaceable by the metre, and the side ones part of the molding? I had a quote from Ford for $600+ to replace these strips! :
nlfbt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I cant tell you for sure, but I thought that fairlanes have a different size strip.

EA-ED is pretty standard, but EF/EL/NL might have a different shape on the bumpers. Im not certain though.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
EA Ghia

The EL ones are a bit fatter/wider I'm pretty sure. They're also a bit more circular at the ends of them, though I'm not sure that makes a difference. Definitely a different shape though.
Old 16-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Yes the Fairlane's have a larger chrome strip.

Just do what Steve said and get new chrome inserts for the front and rear bumpers, then get chrome pinstriping for the side moulds.
Old 16-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

I think www.ozeparts.com have them under one of the Fairlane models that stick on and you could cut to size.
Old 16-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
nlfbt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
I think www.ozeparts.com have them under one of the Fairlane models that stick on and you could cut to size.
Cool ... just having a look there now. Cheers.

Sorry for the thread hijak Viper483!
Old 16-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
nlfbt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
They Certainly are there, under ED Fairmont. $18.15 for a pair ... bargain. Now to find me some chrome pinstriping that is wide enough to cover the chrome on the side mouldings.
Old 16-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
EA Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlfbt8
Sorry for the thread hijak Viper483!
It's all good, seems that website has what I'm looking for, under EA Fairmont.

"Bar Moulding (Front)
Set of 2
Chrome Colour"

Is this what I need for my front bumper, as in will it fit without any cutting, or is this a completely different part. It's only $18.15 too, which would be cheaper than getting it from ford.
Old 20-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #11
EA Ghia

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm stuck at home on a friday night and am bored ****less!! Sad, isn't it!

Ended up going to Jolly's in Dandenong (can't go wrong there), and ended up stripping some of the chrome strips off an EA there. They were in good nick, and fit on perfect with a little bit of double sided tape. Only cost $3 each, which is better than the $25 I was looking at. Makes the front end look a lot better, as the first thing you notice now, isn't the cracked chrome strips.

So I'd recommend to go to a wreckers instead of buying it brand new. Not hard to find E-Series car's in wreckers, and finding a good condition chrome strip was just as easy.

Was also looking for a bootlip spoiler too, but tough to find one in there...or anywhere for that matter. There was a nice set of AU Tickford rims in there though, going for $1000. Was very tempted to buy them, but couldn't be bothered getting spacers as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front bumper.jpg (117.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (140.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 20-01-2007, 03:25 AM   #12
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Very good! Dont worry about bringing up old threads! Theres threads that have been bought back up from years ago! Plus you'll be told to post in existing threads rather than make up a new thread for the same thing.

Theres a bootlip spoiler at a Bendigo wreakers here, paint is cracked but it should be alright with a new coat. Its a rubber one too. Not sure how much there looking for it tho.
Old 22-01-2007, 12:43 AM   #13
Dezza
Parts bin special

I paid $15 at Coffee Ford and they gave me 4 meters instead of 3, so I'm happy about that. I know it's hard to get it off bumpers without damaging it so you did well! The new chrome does make a huge difference to the tidyness of the car. If it wasn't for my dinted bonnet, my car would look pretty good now!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 01:49 AM   #14
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Theres a bootlip spoiler on a cobalt blue EB/D at broadmeadows nick-a-part, has a broken bolt on it now though...oops...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

you can get sticker sheets and cut them to the size you want. most sign shops have them
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post