Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
4dlvr
4dlvr

Default exhaust questions

hers the storey, a couple months ago i bought a 2.5' redback cat back exhaust, i asked for it to have one muffler with a rear resonator. i wasnt happy with the sound as i didnt think it was loud enough but the guy who fitted it told me to wait bout 2-3 weeks till it wore out a little. i took it to a different exaust shop and his telling me that i dont have a rear resonator its a hot dog.
1) whats the difference(which is louder)??
2) should i get rid of the hot dog and put a straight through pipe
3) should i also get rid of the 1st muffler??
i want the car to be as loud as possible with out loosing power
(sorry for long story) cheers

4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
Damo
Banned

If you want it to be loud get a strait through tailpipe section, that is what I have with just one muffler in the centre.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

keep an eye out for the EPA! they got me and if you have a pipe going straight through from the cat to the rear with no mufflers thats gonna be pretty damn loud!
Old 22-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
4dlvr
4dlvr

i should be ok with the epa ive still got the stock exhaust sitting at home.
any one know if i will lose power if i go straight through from the cat to the rear with no mufflers??? has any one here done it before???
Old 22-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you wont lose power at all. i had a press bent exhaust with one muffler, good for 217.2RWHP, and 14.2 second qtr...

just a warning, it will be loud. i went past Rollin at full noise, and it hurt his ears...
Old 22-12-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
4dlvr
4dlvr

im happy for it to be loud just as long as the sound isnt ugly, ive decided on the straight through from the cat, any ideas on how much it should cost????
Old 22-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #7
crannersEL
Banned

Take out the "hotdog" and it will drone like there is no tomorrow! its good for about 10mins, then you get over it......

Going straight through from the cat is very silly, as you'll get dicked and have to get an EPA and RWC from the canary thats put on your car!

Good luck tho, cranners..
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
malta123

go straight throrough cat and if you get cought youll be paying a nice fine the reality of it is that most of us myself included drive sixes and like most sixes they wont sound like an 8 no matter how hard you try the louder you make it the worseit will sound yours might not be as loud but i bet it doesent sound stupid you dont want to end up like one of the guys driving a fullysick lancer that louder then jumbo but sounds like a lawn mower
malta123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
4dlvr
4dlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by malta123
go straight throrough cat and if you get cought youll be paying a nice fine the reality of it is that most of us myself included drive sixes and like most sixes they wont sound like an 8 no matter how hard you try the louder you make it the worseit will sound yours might not be as loud but i bet it doesent sound stupid you dont want to end up like one of the guys driving a fullysick lancer that louder then jumbo but sounds like a lawn mower

true but im sick of little 4cyl sounding louder then my car, ill post videos of the exhausts before and after.

thanks
Old 23-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the difference between a hotdog and resonator? Im thinking of getting the same exhaust in the next few weeks hopefully.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
crannersEL
Banned

A ressy will not be as loud as a hotdog, a hotdog will take away about 40% of the drone you get if you have neither!
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #12
Skooter

get a straight through pipe but with one muffler, it sounds awesome, really like an 8 at idle and when your on the loud pedal.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it be a good idea to go straight through with either single muffler, resonator or hotdog depending on how loud you want?

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #14
335JET
@jas_23_

What scooter said, ive got a 2.5 redback exhaust with one muffler and straight through rear pipe, and its awesom especially when i boot it.
335JET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 09:42 AM   #15
malta123

if you want it to sound good youshould have bought an 8 i wouldnt waste my time cause you'll never be happy
malta123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #16
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

up at springnats we drove into the caravan park and the people who owned the park thought my car was a V8!! i was happy with that compliment!

as people have said dont go straight through, it'll be stupid loud, for me i just want a nice note that can be heard! so at least get 1 muffler mate, maybe even just a hotdog will be fine.
Old 24-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #17
4dlvr
4dlvr

i have had a couple complaments about it sounding like a 8 but only when aboube 3000 rpm any lower and you wouldnt know there was an exhaust there and it almost dies out after 4500 rpm, i want most of the grunt to be down low
Old 25-12-2006, 01:36 AM   #18
EBIIXR6
★★★★★

i have extractors, invisible cat, redback exhaust with centre muffler and nothing in the back ( straight through) and its not very loud only when i give it some. My mates EL has stock headers and 2.5 inch redback like mine with a stock cat centre muffler and his is louder at idle and when givin it a boot.
dont ask me how...
Old 25-12-2006, 01:38 AM   #19
EBIIXR6
★★★★★

btw his is louder but more lawnmowerish, mine has a tuffer note