Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
malta123

Default going bigger then 18'' wheels

iv been looking at fitting 20''s to my el i know some people have gone19'' iv got 18'' at the moment and they only just clear the wheel brace talking 10 20 mm tops do you run spacers to get 19' on o just a diffrent ofset and skiny tires

malta123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
gtfpv
GT

illegal. 7.5 inch width up to 18 " . thats it.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
malta123

not to worried about the legality as i would be lucky to do 5000ks a year in just woundering if it were possable or what need to be changed
Old 19-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
XR_Lightning
Riding The Lightning

even if they did fit you would have to get your guards rolled pretty hardcore to clear the arches
Old 19-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

its been done by a few people.
but i'm not sure on whats required to get em on, 19's go straight on, 20's i'm not 100% sure.

as for all this legality crap.. where are u pulling that information from?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I have 19's and there is not much room left after putting them on.

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 01:35 AM   #7
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Legalities vary state o state guys.. in Vic go as big as you want provided overal diameter doesn't change more than a certain amount.. In NSW its the 2" larger than factory rule..

I would recommend using the search feature of the website mate as fitting 20's has been covered over and over again..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 03:22 AM   #8
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

roosta is correct. you cannot go "bigger that 2 inches wider than the biggest model in your e-series" have a look on the vic roads webside (if in vic) and it is there. i believe it would be under wheels and tyres.

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 03:26 AM   #9
EFFalcon
Last warning

the width isnt an issue, most after market rims are 8" wide anyway.
stock wheels are 6" or wider anyway.
Old 20-12-2006, 04:22 AM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

in vic, just to clear things up, it is one inch in width, as in if your stock rims are 15x6.5 you can go to 7.5 wide.

As far as diamater goes, you can go one inch more than the biggest optionable wheel in your MODEL, not the whole series.

example: if you have a BA XR6 which has 17" wheels on it, but there was the option for an 18" wheel, you can go to 19". 20 Would make it illegal. However ironically, if you have a BA GT, which has the option of 19" wheels, you can go to a 20, even though it's virtually the same car.

This debate rages on and on, but they're the rules. Some people will tell you that as long as you keep the rolling diameter to within 10mm it's fine, as in you can put 20" wheels on an EA ghia, but they'd have to have 20 profile sidewalls, but to the best of my knowledge that is not the case in Victoria.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #11
Kilma

It is different over here in the west again. Can't be bothered going into it now.

I have 19" x 8" on my car with 245 tyres and stock XR suspension. Guards have not been rolled. I don't have any problems with gaurd scraping or anything. If you go lower, you will need to get the guards rolled though.
Kilma is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #12
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

hey john your wheel size is fine! why go any bigger? arent you selling anyway?
Old 20-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #13
infusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick EB
roosta is correct. you cannot go "bigger that 2 inches wider than the biggest model in your e-series" have a look on the vic roads webside (if in vic) and it is there. i believe it would be under wheels and tyres.
sorry to hijack :P

so i can put 18's on my falcon (EF) legally because the fairmonts came out with 16's or is it seen as a different model ??

im in NSW

cheers :P
infusion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #14
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
its been done by a few people.
but i'm not sure on whats required to get em on, 19's go straight on, 20's i'm not 100% sure.

as for all this legality crap.. where are u pulling that information from?
FORD !!!!!! ADR .
Old 20-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
FORD !!!!!! ADR .
its different from state to state, and the member asking is from Vic.
Old 20-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #16
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
the width isnt an issue, most after market rims are 8" wide anyway.
stock wheels are 6" or wider anyway.
8" IS ACTUALLY ILLIGAL.
Old 20-12-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
gtfpv
GT

fine put 8" wheels on . when you make a claim . watch your insurance company bill you for the cost of your car and any other damage or injury to anyone elses car amnd or property.
Old 20-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #18
EFFalcon
Last warning

i think you'll find a number of people have claimed with 8" wheels on their car, including myself.
and there was NO PROBLEMS.
insurance company is well aware of the fact my wheels are 8" wide.
Old 20-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #19
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
i think you'll find a number of people have claimed with 8" wheels on their car, including myself.
and there was NO PROBLEMS.
insurance company is well aware of the fact my wheels are 8" wide.
they may have changed the rules now . but only the el gt came out with wide rims to suit its suspension . it was a silly rule as most rims are 8" wide . maybe they came toi thier senses . but when i bought new . for2 years i couldnot legally put 8 " wide rims on . and thats a fact . thompson ford were selling them new with aftermarket wheels on 8 " wide . wich was illegal as soon as they drove out of the car yard .
Old 20-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #20
EFFalcon
Last warning

EL XR rims are 7" wide if i remember correctly..
vicroads (i've been talking about victoria the whole time) state 25mm wider then the largeest available.

leaving you with 8" wide.

on top of that, the FBT got 8" wide rims (shared suspension with EL GT though)
Old 20-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #21
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
EL XR rims are 7" wide if i remember correctly..
vicroads (i've been talking about victoria the whole time) state 25mm wider then the largeest available.

leaving you with 8" wide.

on top of that, the FBT got 8" wide rims (shared suspension with EL GT though)
yeah that's right, vicroads told me the 25mm rule too. however if you think about that, an inch is 25.4mm, so if the crap hit the fan, you'd be illegal by .4 of a mm. It sounds stupid, but it's true. But yes, many people with 8" wheels would have claimed and been successful, and unless there are very bizarre circumstances, i don't think it's ever really going to be a problem.
Old 20-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #22
tickin
FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

i have 19 inch wheels on my EL... have called up the RTA here in sydney and been told that it cant exceed 15mm overall diameter... not the 2 inch bigger wheels rule... but yeah you do hear both rules from different people... but im not too fussed... i have told my insurance about them and they are fine with it...
tickin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #23
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
fine put 8" wheels on . when you make a claim . watch your insurance company bill you for the cost of your car and any other damage or injury to anyone elses car amnd or property.
I had no problems and they knew the wheels were 8" wide from day one....
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6
I had no problems and they knew the wheels were 8" wide from day one....
it's always going to be grey area. as long as you're not the one at fault, or it wasn't a single car accident, generally i doubt it would be an issue. however if a wheel came off and you stacked your car into a pole, or a tyre went down and caused the accident, or you simply were being an idiot and rammed someone, then i think they'd look into anything they could to reject your claim.
Old 21-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #25
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers
in vic.. As far as diamater goes, you can go one inch more than the biggest optionable wheel in your MODEL, not the whole series.

example: if you have a BA XR6 which has 17" wheels on it, but there was the option for an 18" wheel, you can go to 19". 20 Would make it illegal. However ironically, if you have a BA GT, which has the option of 19" wheels, you can go to a 20, even though it's virtually the same car.

This debate rages on and on, but they're the rules. Some people will tell you that as long as you keep the rolling diameter to within 10mm it's fine, as in you can put 20" wheels on an EA ghia, but they'd have to have 20 profile sidewalls, but to the best of my knowledge that is not the case in Victoria.

Mate.. You are unfortunately wrong.. I have several examples of this.. first of all my own car.. My rims are legal 19" rims on my Viccy reg.. According to vicroads it is the no more than 15mm overall diameter.. i have spoken directly to the vicroads roadworthy and adr compliance officer..

Other example is my mate who has a VX SS commo riding on 20's.. all legal with certificate to prove it 3 weeks ago.. The Roadworthy guy was gonna knock him back but i rang vicroads as soon as he said rims were to large.. i got the compliance officer on the phone and all of a sudden.. here is your RW.. LOL..

And for all those interested in VIC.. Direct quote from VICROADS website..

"Replacement wheels and tyres may be fitted providedthat they comply with the following requirements:

* The width of any replacement rim must not be: more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the manufacturer for that model or vehicle series...

* The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be: more than 15mm greater than the largest diameter tyre specified by the manufacturer for that model or vehicle series..."

The link to this document is here:
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf

I have printed a copy which i keep in the car with me for the officer that knows all but knows nothing if ya know wat i mean..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 21-12-2006, 01:47 AM   #26
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTA
Mate.. You are unfortunately wrong.. I have several examples of this.. first of all my own car.. My rims are legal 19" rims on my Viccy reg.. According to vicroads it is the no more than 15mm overall diameter.. i have spoken directly to the vicroads roadworthy and adr compliance officer..

Other example is my mate who has a VX SS commo riding on 20's.. all legal with certificate to prove it 3 weeks ago.. The Roadworthy guy was gonna knock him back but i rang vicroads as soon as he said rims were to large.. i got the compliance officer on the phone and all of a sudden.. here is your RW.. LOL..

And for all those interested in VIC.. Direct quote from VICROADS website..

"Replacement wheels and tyres may be fitted providedthat they comply with the following requirements:

* The width of any replacement rim must not be: more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the manufacturer for that model or vehicle series...

* The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be: more than 15mm greater than the largest diameter tyre specified by the manufacturer for that model or vehicle series..."

The link to this document is here:
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf

I have printed a copy which i keep in the car with me for the officer that knows all but knows nothing if ya know wat i mean..

Cheers,
Nik
lol as i said, there are always two stories to it, and the debate rages on. I also spoke to the ADR and roadworthy division at Vicroads, and they told me you can not have a wheel more than 25mm bigger in diameter. So which one do you believe ? Either, or. I gave up in the end because there was so much conflicting information, but more people in the 'know' told me you can not have wheels more than 25mm bigger in diameter, as well as adhering to the rolling diameter limitations.

So no, i'm not wrong, but people can believe what they like!
Old 21-12-2006, 01:59 AM   #27
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

I didn't mean it negatively mate.. i see wat you mean about the 2
sides.. No hardies..

I am happy believing the guy i spoke to is correct as he is the one who gave me the link to the documentation.. Did the person you spoke to give you any form of document or reference to whereabouts they actually state what the rules are..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 21-12-2006, 02:04 AM   #28
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTA
I didn't mean it negatively mate.. i see wat you mean about the 2
sides.. No hardies..

I am happy believing the guy i spoke to is correct as he is the one who gave me the link to the documentation.. Did the person you spoke to give you any form of document or reference to whereabouts they actually state what the rules are..

Cheers,
Nik
haha no sweat, i'm not firing up, just letting you know i tried to get to the bottom of it too. i never received a direct link no, and when i looked through the legislation on the website myself, i found it very vague, and full of holes. But either way, as with a lot of vague legislation, it's up to the individual to make their own choice i guess.
Old 22-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #29
malta123

this is all good and well but will 20s fit on my car or do i need to ring a judge and ask maybe ill need a lawer
Old 23-12-2006, 01:17 AM   #30
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

20's will fit.. legality is the question..

i have seen an EB wit 21'S..

Cheers,
Nik