Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Default I think its a bit broken

after complaining about shuddering steering on the old mans EL ghia 5.0 i decided to have a bit of a looksee first the tyres were scrubbed right down to the canvas... she'll be right he says,
but im glad i got to it before disaster struck.
i couldnt believe after just clicking over to 100,000k's the steering rack is already gone,

Thats exactly how it looked when it come out too, except there were heaps of rubber shavings all over the place...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

looks like some missing washers caused the problem.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is the reason i dont trust anything but real rubber.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Tiga_EL
Banned

Isnt nolathane supposed to be better than the rubber though?
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Sundeep
Banned

It's stiffer so instead of wearing out it'll just break or split.

That's not the steering rack though, that looks like the k-frame side of the lower control arm.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nolathane wears out just as quick in 4x4 springhangersas rubber if not faster
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What you have there would be about right for the KM and a Tickford suspended car.

I and 3 other guys with Ticky suspension have already had this happen, but we were talking KM ranges between 120,000 and 170,000. And I'm sure your old man would have complained about really floaty steering and tires that would squeal like crazy, which would be the first indicator of the problem.

Being a urethane compound, it will require some maintenance. The maintenance being a regular greasing of the inner bore of the bush. As we know, the bush pivots on the pin (unlike the rubber versions) and if there isnt any grease, the bush will quickly deteriorate, like you have seen.

It is mainly compounded by the problem that from the factory they put very little to no grease on the bush.

When I replaced mine, I put in a reasonable amount of grease, and when I took the arm out about 13,000km later to check them, they were like brand new. The bush was as stiff as it was brand new, and the inner bore looked brand new. Still had the cross cross patten on the bore. So I regreased them and put them back in. Sadly shortly later the car was written off, but when I got the car home and took the bush out, it was still perfect. These are for sale now if you're interested. <-- Inserted shameless plug here. They arent a cheap replacement.

While some people prefer the rubber bushes, even if I spend a couple of hours a every 5/6 months greasing these bushes, its a fair trade off for the better handing they offer than the rubber equivalents.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Urethane bushing has proven itself useless in the 'lower inner' position on EF/EL time and time again. To the point that, when I left Pedders, they wouldn't sell urethane bushes for that aplication, rubber only. The rubber one are easily lasting a minimum of two years without customer complaint or adversly afecting wheel alignments.

Although I am all for Poly Urethane bushes correctly placed, I would warn anyone off using them for the 'lower inner' on EF/EL.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BI6TIM
Urethane bushing has proven itself useless in the 'lower inner' position on EF/EL time and time again. To the point that, when I left Pedders, they wouldn't sell urethane bushes for that aplication, rubber only. The rubber one are easily lasting a minimum of two years without customer complaint or adversly afecting wheel alignments.

Although I am all for Poly Urethane bushes correctly placed, I would warn anyone off using them for the 'lower inner' on EF/EL.
That would be a big call considering there was zero problems with my vehicle (and many others with urethane) for the first 3 to 4 years of its life, with no affects to wheel alignments in that time. The failures happened quickly (within 8 weeks) from first noticing until the car being undriveable.

I think we should all realise that urethane bushes require manitenance during their life, and that rubber doesn't. Now that I know regreasing is required, I will make it happen reguarly.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
XRated
Shoot.

BI6TIM, is there any chance you could give us a list of where you recommend rubber, and where you recommend urethane on EB/ED EF/EL by any chance?

I don't fancy having to remember to "grease" bushes every 6-12 months.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

i'd personally only use urethane bushes for the swaybar d's and links.

Rubber everywhere else...
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BI6TIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
BI6TIM, is there any chance you could give us a list of where you recommend rubber, and where you recommend urethane on EB/ED EF/EL by any chance?

I don't fancy having to remember to "grease" bushes every 6-12 months.
I second this request. :lookedat:
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #13
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
i'd personally only use urethane bushes for the swaybar d's and links.

Rubber everywhere else...
I think bi6tim will same the same as me....
Old 10-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #14
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or though.... the urethane aftermarket lower inners for the ef/el are heaps better than the tickford ones... as long as they are greased properly you will have no dramas
Old 10-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #15
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

i think its happened before, because one bush was rubber and the other (this one) was Nolathane, now to fix the power steering rack...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post