Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-10-2015, 11:49 PM   #1
Spurious

Default Mexican Standoff...at a roundabout !!!

So picture this...

4 vehicles, myself included, all approach a roundabout at the exact same moment.
We all stop, intending to giveway to the other on the right of us

For a moment, we all had that WTF moment I reckon, before I took the initiative & drove on.
I've been driving 20 years & never had that happen before.

So what's your take on that?
Is there a rule to state who actually gives way to whom under that very circumstance?
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Mexican Standoff...at a roundabout !!!

Was expecting a Mexican standoff to be more dramatic, like guns pulled, etc. your scenario reminds me of 4-way stops in the US. Deadlock and confusion is common when 4 cars pull up to the intersection. I assumed it was the reverse of Australia, with give way to the Right , rather than left. noticed that sometimes the cars would give way to the vehicle on the right, while other times it was the vehicle on the left. I was later told it was first come, first serve.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 12:09 AM   #3
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Was expecting a Mexican standoff to be more dramatic, like guns pulled, etc. your scenario reminds me of 4-way stops in the US. Deadlock and confusion is common when 4 cars pull up to the intersection. I assumed it was the reverse of Australia, with give way to the Right , rather than left. noticed that sometimes the cars would give way to the vehicle on the right, while other times it was the vehicle on the left. I was later told it was first come, first serve.
Those stupid 4 way stop signs are also in Newcastle NSW too! The most dumb idea ever! I've witnessed the 4 cars arrive at once as well. Wow, it funny watching them, first check which side they are supposed to give way to, then sit, and then realise they are all in the same boat, and then all go thinking they were all there first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6AUII?
So picture this...

4 vehicles, myself included, all approach a roundabout at the exact same moment.

For a moment, we all had that WTF moment I reckon, before I took the initiative & drove on.

Is there a rule to state who actually gives way to whom under that very circumstance?
At least they stop at round abouts! The rule is the same here, but everyone drives straight in to the roundabout without even looking! And they get all shirty with the foreigner because I blasted them with my horn! Idiots!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
At least they stop at round abouts! The rule is the same here, but everyone drives straight in to the roundabout without even looking!
It's the same the world over. I see straight shooters & stoppers here too.
What annoys me is people that havn't the faintest about how to correctly indicate when on a roundabout, & those who see a car waaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off in the distance....& they stop & wait for it to come!

What happened today was, technically I got to the line first, but I stopped out of courtesy, so then did the guy to my right, & so on & so forth. Seconds later all 4 of us were just...well, stopped.
I wish I'd got that moment on video. Would have played back well with some western gun slinging music.
Old 23-10-2015, 01:05 AM   #5
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6AUII? View Post
Very simple.

Male drivers take priority over female drivers.

Getting work stuff done is more important than going to the hairdresser.

Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 02:30 AM   #6
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

If you’re in NSW no-one had to give way as you have to slow down and be prepared to stop and give way to whoever is in the roundabout first.

If you slow down as required and show courtesy then that’s good driving etiquette but someone still has to then take the initiative and drive on.

If you’ve all come to a stop it’s unlikely even if you all took off at the same time for there to be an accident.

Some road rules just require common sense in application.

You’ve come up with a rare scenario for two reasons.

One it wouldn’t happen often where 4 vehicles arrive at the 4 different points of entry at the exact same time and two, that those 4 drivers would all show courtesy to each other without at least one speeding up to try and get in the roundabout first.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I believe the rule for quite some time was to give way to whoever is in the round about already, or whoever will enter the round about first if you are all approaching.

However, I still have cars slam on their brakes at the line whilst I'm still 30m away to allow me to enter first because I'm on their right. They shouldn't be doing that, they get there first, they enter first and I slow to give them away.

Soooo many people still think you give way to the right NO MATTER WHAT.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Yet nobody gives way to the right properly at T intersections.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

The problem is roundabouts have been retro fitted to what were simple cross intersections, that aren't really big enough to operate they way they should. Canberra style huge roundabouts don't have this problem, you can't even see the other cars entering they are that far away - so it's just give way to those that are on the round about before you.
Old 23-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
Spurious

Yeh agreed Raptor, I lived in the ACT for 20+ years & I know what you mean. Small roundabouts are flawed. Traffic calming devices more than anything.

Phildo, you're hilarious, but if you're married don't let your wife see that post!

Express, agreed this was a very rare occurrence. & even rarer was it that the other 3 drivers all stopped in anticipation of having to giveway.
I show courtesy if, when I get to the line (in which case I ALWAYS anticipate having to stop) if there's another car immediately on my right then I giveway. If they are not at the line yet & are moving slowly enough, then I will proceed.

Yellow festiva, yes...the law states that one must giveway to traffic already on the roundabout.
But this also creates a grey area IMO, with big Canberran roundabouts that would be ridiculous to wait on a vehicle that is 100m away, then there's the issue of having 2 cars enter from opposite sides of the intersection (small roundabout).
My rule is, if there's nothing immediately on my right then I will proceed.

Common sense, & the law, dictates that a driver must avoid a collision. So if it's safe to enter then do so.
I just wish that people wouldn't get so aggressive on the road & use more common sense, I mean there are those who speed up in order to not have to giveway, there are those who get impatient if they have to wait, & then there are those who stop & wait for the traffic to arrive.

But what can you do!

It simply blew me away that all 4 of us were courteous enough to actually stop yesterday. The fact I moved off first was legal as no one else had moved at that moment.
Old 23-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

How do roundabouts work?

Accelerator pedal as far in as she goes, close your eyes and hope for the best
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
How do roundabouts work?

Accelerator pedal as far in as she goes, close your eyes and hope for the best
i've done similar in an old datto 200b back when i was younger and more stupid. it was night, and no other traffic, and we didn't even bother turning the steering wheel...

there wasn't many places my old datto 200b didn't go. it copped an absolute flogging and just wouldn't say die...
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #13
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So picture this...

You did the right thing and took the initiative, so when you are stoped that's what has to be done.

A mate was on about one of them 4 way stop signs and asked what do you do, give way to your right I said.
Fact is if one runs into your right they are in the wrong regardless, so don't run into them, but someone has to take the initiative by moving slowly forward.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #14
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
So picture this...

In the above stiuation it is always me that has right of way!
If everyone could make that known it will make my driving experience far more pleasurable.
Thankyou.
Old 23-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Lights flashing orange at a busy intersection. Scary when you need to get through, everyone is confused, but funny when you're a bystander.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #16
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I luv dem little bitty round-a-bouts. I drive over them all the time.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bloody roundabouts and speed humps , the bane of my existence.

RE: roundabouts .......... he who hesitates is lost !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #18
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This a Hulk thread? lolol
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 05:34 PM   #19
Harrison

Many times when approaching a roundabout you may be technically correct entering first but if a car is barrelling towards the roundabout on your immediate right it is often prudent to give way.

I get the impression there are many drivers out there who are not aware of this law regarding roundabouts. And getting T-boned can really mess up your day, even if you are in the right.
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah roundabouts. The bad thing is that despite being quite a big chunk of driving in the ACT, a lot of people don't know the rules. The good thing is they are mostly pretty big roundabouts with two lanes that allows a lot of room for such people.

I can't count how many times I have been 3/4 around one and I have some slow poke pull out in front of me and had to brake or come to dead stop. Or the people that are turning left who pull out and you don't know what they are going to do.

I have to say on balance it works pretty good though. 4 people coming up at the same time is such a rarity it's not really worth worrying about. Whoever moves first has the right of way.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2015, 02:53 AM   #21
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
This a Hulk thread? lolol
No. Merely an observation I thought worthy of sharing.
Old 24-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #22
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If in doubt accelerate.

Seriously though I think some people just have no spacial awareness. Like when you're approaching the roundabout and it seems good to go, but then you have to slam the brakes on because captain idiot decided to stop and wait for someone on the other side.

Last edited by CoupeKing; 24-10-2015 at 09:34 AM.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #23
falcon_bandit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Soooo many people still think you give way to the right NO MATTER WHAT.
hence why i follow this invisible rule.

many times ive approached a roundabout cautiously, ready to enter as its empty, only to look right and see a ****** coming in hot like he's just finished down conrod straight, thinking they have absolute right of way.

easier just to let em go
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
many times ive approached a roundabout cautiously, ready to enter as its empty, only to look right and see a ****** coming in hot like he's just finished down conrod straight, thinking they have absolute right of way.

easier just to let em go
This is aggravated by council's (around here at least) that insist on 'landscaping' the roundabouts.

Making traffic coming from the right almost impossible to see until they're on top of you, then planting vegetation in the middle of it so as to block the right hand indicator of cars turning !.
Old 24-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #25
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
This is aggravated by council's (around here at least) that insist on 'landscaping' the roundabouts.

Making traffic coming from the right almost impossible to see until they're on top of you, then planting vegetation in the middle of it so as to block the right hand indicator of cars turning !.
I hear that.
It's for traffic control, NOT "scenery"!
Old 25-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #26
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

They should be shot for doing roundabouts like that.

Not only that but people who grow trees etc on dangerous corners, so it makes it much harder to see, not to mention blocking the view of stop signs etc, because all it takes is for some fool to make a mistake and someone could be hurt or killed just due to moronic fools.

Fact is road safety is not taken seriously in Australia at all and all they have been pushing is what it is that can make them money and nothing much other than that.
That's the sad truth of it all.
Vote one morons for morons.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #27
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

The rule in vic is give way to the right. Same rule applies when the traffic lights go out. It's amazing how many people don't know what to do when the traffic lights are out.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #28
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza91 View Post
The rule in vic is give way to the right. Same rule applies when the traffic lights go out. It's amazing how many people don't know what to do when the traffic lights are out.
I believe the rule in Victoria is give way to vehicles already in the round about. If vehicles are not approaching you from the right before you enter a round about something has gone very wrong.

Last edited by Work Horse; 25-10-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #29
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
I believe the rule in Victoria is give way to vehicles already in the round about. If vehicles are not approaching you from the right before you enter a round about something has gone very wrong.
Correct you are. Double checked the viroads site and it does say that.

I remember my old driving instructor when i got my P's, he always said give way to your right... Guess he was wrong.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My problem with roundabouts is ones where too much traffic comes from one direction. If that direction happens to be on your right you never get a clear gap to enter the roundabout.

As for traffic lights out, after the April storms on the NSW coast this year some traffic lights were out for days. I was extremely impressed with how smoothly traffic flowed at these intersections. Best one I saw was during afternoon peak hour at an intersection of 2 very busy roads, the traffic mimicked the regular traffic light sequence perfectly. One road went flowing through for a while. Both directions stopped at almost the exact same time, then right turning traffic from cross street went while the left hand traffic of the original road continued. Once those were clear the straight ahead lanes went.
I was later talking to a mate and he commented on how well traffic was flowing and how easy it was to negotiate major intersections with no traffic lights.
Goes to show most people can drive properly when they need to, just most of the time they don't care.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post