Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #61
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: Spitfire vs BF109

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo33 View Post
The Mosquito.
Fastest plane in WWII.
Broke record after record.
Only plane faster was the experimental Nazi jet.
Mosquito only beaten by Spitfire in manoeuvrability.
Mosquito would have mowed-down Spitfires and P47s on speed alone.
I remember reading somewhere, that at wars end or shortly after, a P-47 being fitted with a modified engine and propeller which then set a record of 515mph becoming the fastest piston engined prop in level flight.
I've not read anything about this since then, but it came as quite a surprise.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 01:24 AM   #62
goo33

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
I remember reading somewhere, that at wars end or shortly after, a P-47 being fitted with a modified engine and propeller which then set a record of 515mph becoming the fastest piston engined prop in level flight.
I remember seeing a documentary about the incredible speeds of the twin Merlin Mosquito. As I recall. it was well over 500mph. And it wasn't a stripped down fuselage on a plane flown at sea level. The Mosquito's achievements appear to have been suppressed over the decades.

Last edited by GasoLane; 20-01-2016 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Not needed
goo33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #63
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo33 View Post
I remember seeing a documentary about the incredible speeds of the twin Merlin Mosquito. As I recall. it was well over 500mph. And it wasn't a stripped down fuselage on a plane flown at sea level. The Mosquito's achievements appear to have been suppressed over the decades.
Two Merlins make a lot of power. We even had a go with such a configuration, but sadly the war ended too soon.

Surely the Wirraway was the superior fighter.

Last edited by GasoLane; 20-01-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Moby Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #64
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nearly all WW2 fighters had a built in speed limiter depending a lot on wing design.

Most of these fighters were limited by shockwave and compressibility problems at maximum speed.

Once about 0.83 Mach was reached they became unsafe and had major airframe and control surface problems.

There were a LOT of pilots lost due to pushing there airframes beyond their limits.
I think I read once that a third of all fighter pilots lost during WW2 was due to misadventure.

The speed of sound changes with height, air pressure and even weather conditions and once you start pushing the speed of sounds envelope all sorts of weird and strange things happen, airframes would literally tear themselves apart!
Tex Scrotum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #65
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Some oddities here: http://hushkit.net/2013/05/09/the-to...ined-fighters/
Old 20-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #66
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a few diagrams that help explain Shockwave and Compressibility.

Basically once the shockwave from the nose of the aircraft (the V) reaches the wingtips then the pilot starts to lose control of the aircraft, remembering that WW2 aircraft had a very straight wing not very far from the nose and the Shockwave V would come across the wingtips and once it crossed the ailerons there was little or no control of the aircraft.

Also having different parts of the aircraft breaking or close to the speed of sound at different times was VERY BAD, they would suffer incredible turbulence and vibration causing the airframe to fail.

This is why high Mach speed jets have a very long nose, like the SR71 Blackbird which was capable of Mach 3.2.

As speed increases the Shockwave V angle becomes more and more acute.

It took a long time for aircraft designers to figure out what was going on, obviously the German designers were on the right track with the ME262.

It's interesting stuff once you start getting into it.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #67
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BF109 and Fockwulfe 190D are a pair of my favourite WW2 planes.

It's a long read but it's interesting. A similar comparison has been done before.
http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit1vrs109e.html

My vote has to go to the BF109, even though it seems less powerful. I've always loved this shot.

lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #68
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both very close in of performance for quite a number of years. I think it came down to the skill of the pilot , how well he knew his machine and the enemies machine and his ability to dog fight on his terms. Guys like Galland and jochchim marseille prove that even with a machine considered to be less manoeuvrable than the spitfire, in the right hands it could hold its own
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #69
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
Both very close in of performance for quite a number of years. I think it came down to the skill of the pilot , how well he knew his machine and the enemies machine and his ability to dog fight on his terms. Guys like Galland and jochchim marseille prove that even with a machine considered to be less manoeuvrable than the spitfire, in the right hands it could hold its own
True about the skills bit for example...
" Later that month, during his fifth combat with American pilots, he shot down two more P-51s before being forced to bail out, when eight other P-51s ran his Messerschmitt out of fuel. During the intense manoeuvring, Hartmann managed to line up one of the P-51s at close range, but heard only a "clank" when he fired, as he had run out of ammunition.[26][28] While he was hanging in his parachute, the P-51s circled above him, and Hartmann wondered if they would take this opportunity to kill him. One of the P-51Bs flown by Lt. Robert J. Goebel of the 308th Squadron, 31st Fighter Group, broke away and headed straight for him.[29] Goebel was making a camera pass to record the bailout and banked away from him only at the last moment, waving at Hartmann as he went by.[30] On 17 August, Hartmann became the top scoring fighter ace, surpassing fellow JG 52 pilot Gerhard Barkhorn, with his 274th victory.[Note 3]"
I dont think to many piolts could mange escaping from 8 Mustangs. Hartman flew 109s for most of the war (mainly on the Russian Front)

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #70
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously flying skills and knowing the limitations as well as their advantages was a big part of survival and shooting down your opponents.

But after reading quite a lot of WW2 fighter pilot autobiographies a few other things standout.

Better than average eyesight and the willingness of the pilot to take advantage and use his good eyesight as well as thinking like the enemy and knowing where to look.
I read time and time again that it was usually whoever saw the other first had a great advantage by being able to gain height and manoeuvre into a favourable attack position.

Also experienced pilots on both sides went for the weakest, just like in nature, experienced pilots were able to quickly access their opponents and pick on the weakest link without necessarily putting their own lives at risk.

Most dogfights lasted only seconds!

The ability to constantly stay very alert and deal quickly with a situation even when they were both physically and mentally exhausted was also very important to survive in combat.

Although I've always read these books because I was interested in these aircraft, as I've gotten older, I'm finding that I'm more and more interested in how these guys survived and dealt with the physical, mental and emotional issues day in and day out.

It would've been a hell of a thing to do!
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #71
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think I would suck (based on my computer flying )
The average life expectancy of a Spitfire pilot: 4 weeks in 1940
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #72
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
Two Merlins make a lot of power. We even had a go with such a configuration, but sadly the war ended too soon.

Surely the Wirraway was the superior fighter.
We built DH98 Mosquitoes here at Bankstown...
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P02881.028

No other twin Merlin engined aircraft though.

Also built RR Merlins as well for the Avro Lincoln.

Wirraway was a trainer and not a fighter aircraft
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #73
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
I remember reading about this one years ago, I think that one had a five bladed prop. A P-47 met a ME262 at fairly low altitude where the jet didn't have much of an advantage so the jet pilot opened the throttles and pushed it up into a climb. The ME262 had a fairly phenomenal rate of climb for the day so you didn't have to push it to the stops to pull away from anything the Allies had in the air. Anyway after a short while climbing away (so he thought) the German pilot looked behind him and saw the P-47 was gaining on him (in a vertical climb) and he had to really open it up to get away intact.
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 12:08 AM   #74
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't open up the throttle on an ME 262 . you needed to gradually open the throttle or the engine would flame out. That was its main weakness next to having to change the engines after 15 hours . Most 262's were shot down when making approaches to their airfields. Once at speed it was near impossible to close in on one
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #75
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Scrotum View Post
Obviously flying skills and knowing the limitations as well as their advantages was a big part of survival and shooting down your opponents.

But after reading quite a lot of WW2 fighter pilot autobiographies a few other things standout.

Better than average eyesight and the willingness of the pilot to take advantage and use his good eyesight as well as thinking like the enemy and knowing where to look.
I read time and time again that it was usually whoever saw the other first had a great advantage by being able to gain height and manoeuvre into a favourable attack position.

Also experienced pilots on both sides went for the weakest, just like in nature, experienced pilots were able to quickly access their opponents and pick on the weakest link without necessarily putting their own lives at risk.

Most dogfights lasted only seconds!

The ability to constantly stay very alert and deal quickly with a situation even when they were both physically and mentally exhausted was also very important to survive in combat.

Although I've always read these books because I was interested in these aircraft, as I've gotten older, I'm finding that I'm more and more interested in how these guys survived and dealt with the physical, mental and emotional issues day in and day out.

It would've been a hell of a thing to do!
Agreed, a lot of it comes down to who sees who first, they had a big advantage. Also know your plane, if you are in a zero you want a tight slow dog fight. A Me262 on the other hand boom and zoom

A lot of German pilots fell asleep whilst flying (they flew a lot more sorties)

Germans had some insane planes, Me163 and heaps more on the drawing board/prototype stage

Me262's were very vulnerable during take off and landing

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #76
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Feeling a little bit "cooler" and a lot less like a WW2 aircraft nerd since I found out Brad Pitt just bought a Spitfire for a lazy $4 million US.

I'd be doing EXACTLY the same thing if I was on his type of coin!

He's also a year older than me and turns 53 this year, which doesn't make me feel any less "cooler".

This pic below is actually of Brad in his new toy.....what a lucky (inglorious) BAAASTARD!!!

Cheers Brad👍👍👍🍻
5 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #77
CJR09
RPO 77

Had the pleasure of seeing these war planes take to the skies this weekend just gone at the the Warbirds over Wanaka air show in NZ - along with yak3, p38, p40, p51, corsair and many others.

I have to say after seeing them in the flesh and viewing their flyby's being on the front lines and hearing a BF109 coming would surely put it up ya - it had a very distinctive whistle or howl to it and seemed alot more aggressive than the mkIX spitfire which was alot more graceful - either way I feel very privelaged to have seen them in the flesh doing what they were built to do - some very impressive bits of kit - two of the greatest aircraft ever built.

If anyone has ever thought of making the trip across the ditch to see it I highly recommend it - fork out the extra for the gold/platinum grandstand catered seating it is well worth it IMO - I was a tightarse and went general admission but there are so many people there sitting room is valuable real estate and runway viewing was not good as the grassy embankments have little to no elevation.

We did a day trip which in hindsight is not enough as the show is relentless and very engaging I just felt I had to stay put and see as much of the show I could which meant no time to get around the static displays which in itself would take a half day easy so was a bit gutted about that - awesome nonetheless and will make plans to go again - it is Bi-annual.

Its not the BF109 below but a very nice p51 with a very apt handle - "dove of peace" - the Messerschmitt was already tucked away for the night by the time I got to its hangar :(

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #78
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
If anyone has ever thought of making the trip across the ditch to see it I highly recommend it
No need to spend all that money, we've got a similar thing over here. There's 2 Spitfires just down the road from me.
Old 29-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #79
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Had the pleasure of seeing these war planes take to the skies this weekend just gone at the the Warbirds over Wanaka air show in NZ - along with yak3, p38, p40, p51, corsair and many others.

I have to say after seeing them in the flesh and viewing their flyby's being on the front lines and hearing a BF109 coming would surely put it up ya - it had a very distinctive whistle or howl to it and seemed alot more aggressive than the mkIX spitfire which was alot more graceful - either way I feel very privelaged to have seen them in the flesh doing what they were built to do - some very impressive bits of kit - two of the greatest aircraft ever built.

If anyone has ever thought of making the trip across the ditch to see it I highly recommend it - fork out the extra for the gold/platinum grandstand catered seating it is well worth it IMO - I was a tightarse and went general admission but there are so many people there sitting room is valuable real estate and runway viewing was not good as the grassy embankments have little to no elevation.

We did a day trip which in hindsight is not enough as the show is relentless and very engaging I just felt I had to stay put and see as much of the show I could which meant no time to get around the static displays which in itself would take a half day easy so was a bit gutted about that - awesome nonetheless and will make plans to go again - it is Bi-annual.

Its not the BF109 below but a very nice p51 with a very apt handle - "dove of peace" - the Messerschmitt was already tucked away for the night by the time I got to its hangar :(

109's were supercharged hence the howel. Agree very aggressive looking and sounding plane where as the spitfire is elegant probably because of its wing design. I love both of them
4 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #80
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
No need to spend all that money, we've got a similar thing over here. There's 2 Spitfires just down the road from me.

Granted - by plane it may take about the same time as the crow flies, but I live in NZ these days - about 3-3.5hr drive from Wanaka - would like to get back to Au soon, maybe could check it out at the same time - is it an annual show?

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #81
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
would like to get back to Au soon, maybe could check it out at the same time - is it an annual show?
Not sure, last year it was around November. Might be more on their site.

http://aviationmuseum.com.au/
Old 31-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #82
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BF109 for me.... a great dogfighter and fuel injected... engine did not cut out during negative G turns.

The Japanese also had the Kawasaki Ki-100, a great plane, they just didn't have enough of them.
The Zero's replacement the A7M Reppu never got into service.

The Italians had the Fiat G.55 Centauro which could match it with many allied fighters.
Also the Macchi fighters, The MC.202 Folgore and Veltro... could match it with a P51.. just not enough... oh well.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #83
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post

Wirraway was a trainer and not a fighter aircraft
Wirraway technically both a fighter and a trainer. Not a good fighter but it was better than nothing

https://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuse...eries2/A20.htm
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #84
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Australia was developing it's own Mustang style replacement after the war, the CA-15 or 'Kangaroo'. Top recorded speed was 502MPH.
Development stopped when Australia joined the jet age and build the Vampire instead.
Would've been a nice aircraft.

Last edited by Mesa; 09-07-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #85
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit05 View Post
Australia was developing it's own Mustang style replacement after the war, the CA-15 or 'Kangaroo'. Top recorded speed was 502MPH.

Development stopped when Australia joined the jet age and build the Vampire instead.

Would've been a nice aircraft.

P51 Mustangs were actually built (assembled) in Australia, Melbourne I think and some of them saw service in the Korean War.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #86
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Australia built a lot of our own aircraft at the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC). This is why the CAC aconym is usually used when indentifying Australian built aircraft. For eg CAC Mustang or CAC Sabre. The factory used to be at Fishermans Bend next to GMH. The former runways are now under the West Gate Freeway. These days it's operated by Boeing who do various servicing on aircraft compnents.

Australia used P51 Mustangs in the early part of the Korean war. They switched to the jet powered Meteor's during deployment there.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #87
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Merlin V12s at full song are unbelievable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIkSbL83Rx4

A slightly different take on this, my choice would be the Merlin powered Fulmars flying off the decks of RN carriers in the Med and Atlantic early war; kept the fleet safe from many of the Italian bombers. Beaut aircraft, like a stretched Spitfire (Admiralty requirement of an observer). Produced more Navy aces than any other plane. Was evolved into the excellent Firefly that RAN pilots used off Korea.

http://www.armouredcarriers.com/fair...ional-history/

Honourable mention to the 3 Sea Gladiators that were all Malta had at the time of its blitz. Tbh flying one of these prewar off the decks of Courageous, Glorious, Furious or Eagle would have been a lot more fun than any wartime choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrpWcm8V3k4

Non fighter mention, the 'Stringbag', Swordfish torpedo bomber that could take off from Ark Royal's flight deck rising and falling 50 feet, hopelessly obsolete yet irreplaceable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUS5Ho5Msyc
Old 04-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #88
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

YEAGER.....Just finished reading this book and I can highly recommend it, in fact it's one of the best books of this type I have ever read.
Chuck Yeager is a deadset legend and one of the best pilots ever!

The book was very easy to read and I read it in a matter of a couple of days, mainly because I couldn't put it down.

The book is easily available off eBay.

If you like aircraft then you will LOVE this book, the guy lead an amazing life from flying combat in WW2 -Vietnam, as well as being a test pilot in one of the most exciting times of aviation history.

A truly fantastic book and one of my all time favourites.

Cheers 🍻
Old 13-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #89
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, another book recommendation....."A HIGHER CALL"
Truly one of the best war (or more accurately...anti-war) stories I've ever come across.

If you like Bf 109s then you will love this book as it tracks the careers of a German fighter Ace and a B-17 bomber crew throughout the war until they meet on this extraordinary day where the hardened German fighter Ace takes pity on a badly mauled and torn up B-17 with wounded and dead aboard and unable to defend itself and then escorts them safely out of Germany.

The story continues throughout the war until 40 years later both pilots have nagging unanswered questions and simultaneously track each other down and ultimately become best friends.

A warning though.....this book is a real tear jerker but a fantastic read!

The book is readily available off eBay and can be expensive BUT worth every cent 👍👍👍👍👍👍

Cheers!
5 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #90
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit05 View Post
Australia built a lot of our own aircraft at the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC). This is why the CAC aconym is usually used when indentifying Australian built aircraft. For eg CAC Mustang or CAC Sabre. The factory used to be at Fishermans Bend next to GMH. The former runways are now under the West Gate Freeway. These days it's operated by Boeing who do various servicing on aircraft compnents.

Australia used P51 Mustangs in the early part of the Korean war. They switched to the jet powered Meteor's during deployment there.
All of the RAAF's F/A-18A/B Hornet fleet were built in Australia - with the exception of the first two.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post