Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2006, 01:52 AM   #1
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Default Best dual cab

Hello hello and hello
I'm ganna be gettin a dual cab 4x4 ute soon and cant decided on what to get. I wass ganna get a mitsub triton cause i thought they looked the toughtest but then someone told me they were cheap and crap. I only got 15 -20 grand and was wondering if there were any mechanics out there or anyone with personal experiences as to what ute would be the best and has the potential to look tough as and how. it's ganna be used as a workhack, 4wding and cruising.

Thanks in advance

dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 02:10 AM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

Toyota Hilux. The word unbreakable comes to mind. It's in a league of its own compared to the rest.

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsa...ch_distance=25

There's a good one. 2.7 4cyl Petrol, 5spd manual, 4WD, 110,000km, 1999 model, $19,000.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 03:06 AM   #3
dishpig
Only an xr6...

hate to be an ******* but im not too keen on hilux's sorry
Old 18-02-2006, 03:34 AM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

That's fine. But you can't dispute fact. They're vastly superior to anything else offered by any maker in that class. A total league of their own. I can't think a vehicle I'd call second to a Hilux.

:
Old 18-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
falcon91

Even though it's a Holden. The V6 Rodeo was chosen by all the work guys at my Missus's work and they had the choice of any Dual Cab! Plenty of grunt and the new one's look pretty good, tough to get one for $20k however.
falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
lisa76
BEU77Y and the BEE55T

The Hilux is pretty tough and not a bad worker in the bush either. If it's a dual cab you're after, it's pretty hard to go past the hilux. If you want to do much 4wding though, go for a diesel, turbo if you can.

His: BEE55T 80 Series Landcruiser
Double diff locks, Rancho in cab adjustable shocks, 2" lift, GPS, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (offroad) and coming soon Mickey Thompson ATZ Radials
lisa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa76
The Hilux is pretty tough and not a bad worker in the bush either. If it's a dual cab you're after, it's pretty hard to go past the hilux. If you want to do much 4wding though, go for a diesel, turbo if you can.
Yeah what he said, go diesel and get a turbo if you can _2:
Old 18-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
dandaman

Current Model Nissan Navara is really good, dont know if u can get it between 15 and 20 tho,
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer Navaras over Hilux's - even IFS Navs compared to solid front axle Hiluxs - new Nav drives unbelievably, old ones are a bit sluggish, but reliable, good off-road, and higher tow rating than the Hilux's, interors were a little better too i found. I have heard many people prefer the reliability of the Nav to the Hilux - but that has been my limited experience with them. But i would go Hilux as my second choice
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Get an old F-truck and do a dual cab conversion.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #11
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

we have three hilux's in the family, dualcab 4wd diesel (400,000km) 2 single cab petrol's 1.8l (350,000KM) 2.4L (180,000K) not one has EVER broken down or had a prob at all, hilux is the best by far
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #12
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Shame you want a 4x4. You could buy my Lexus V8 powered dual cab Hilux and have plenty of money in your pocket.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
That's fine. But you can't dispute fact. They're vastly superior to anything else offered by any maker in that class. A total league of their own. I can't think a vehicle I'd call second to a Hilux.
What a load of BS, i just cancelled a deposit on a new Hilux and bought the New Duelcab Navara, it runs rings around the Hilux, it's cheaper bigger and more powerfull in diesel and petrol form, and the in car features are not even compareable.

Dishpig, keep in mind that all the V6 duelcabs are very thirsty, i would look for a turbo diesel model. My previous car 03 Rodeo averaged 18.7 litres per 100 klm towing a tradesman single axle trailor.

Review.

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/car-r...e7829#overview

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 19-02-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

It's really not bs I have put k's on em all in my job, I rate them like this, 1;hilux 2;rodeo, 3;navara and mazda/ford, 4;and by far the worst triton, If you want a city cruiser that goes off road once or twice a year they're all ok, but If you want a serious work/back of beyond beast the hilux is the only one I'd trust, Ive had mine 6 feet in the air dukes of hazard style and dropped it into culverts and it always got me home
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Maybe in the older models Nugget, i researched this for 3 months, the 06 Navara is best all round value, i wouldn't have considered the 05 model against the Hilux .
As i said, i had a deposit on a Hilux they are good cars, just not up to the "new" Navara's standard.
4x4 australia claim new Hilux needs better front springs for serious 4wd work, it has gone a little soft, not to mention it can only tow 2250kg, which means i can't tow my GT with it, the nissan tows 3 ton.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #16
markb

Provided you can get the Navarra or don't mind the longish wait , it's better specced, more powerful and cheaper than the Hilux.

It's also a completely different beast than the old 05 Model...way, way better. But it's also unproven and a new model so only time will tell whether it is also unbreakable.

Hilux's reputation will take some beating though and I thought the SR5 TD was fairly comparable to the Navarra's TD.

One thing I hated about the Navarra is that Fugly rust prevention? stuff around the bottom of the cabin and tray, on a 40-50K vehicle it's just crap looking.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being a chronic 4WD hater I have to agree that the Navara is to go at the moment. I bought one late last year and as I have absolutly no interest in them I investigated by talking to accessory shops, 4WD mechanics (there are a lot on them here due to proximity to Fraser Island) and insurance investigators instead of the usual sales guys and 4WD nuts (asking a 4WD enthusiest about 4WDs in like asking a car enthusiest about cars, there is no way a Ford person will promote a Holden or vice versa)

I ended up with a Navara STR diesel and it seems to be pretty good.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The guy wants to spend 20 k, hes not going to get the current Navara or anything like it.

If i was buying a second hand one id go for either a Hilux 2002 ish or a Mazda Bravo Turbo Diesel, the Mazdas never miss a beat and are pretty comfy to drive, we had a Petrol one and my mates got the Diesel, Diesel is the go!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #19
gmhdriver
Banned

Although not in his price range, I'd have to agree that the new Navara is a great bit of gear.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #20
nb_351
building the xe...

the previous navara was a good car... the d22, with the big flares and the two tone paint... the str one, still sell them at work... theyre selling them along side the new d40 model, which is the same look as the new pathfinder... they are a bt over that price range though... i thought i could get one aswell, but i ended up going a 98 model rodeo... the one before the current shape... havent had any problems with it at all... the 4bies use a tad more fuel, but its all good... good car to drive, bearable on long trips, more so than any small car i believe... the v6s go well, only the 5 speeds though... i got mine for 11gs... dual cab, steel bull bar and steel painted tray... out some tint on it, soft tonneau cover, and a head unit... son getting 6 inch splits in the front, and 7x10s in the rear... only down side is only has front speakers, and theyre only 4 inchers... not too happy, but can be fixed...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #21
nb_351
building the xe...

its a holden though, or an isuzu really... thats the only downside... ford dont make a dual cab ute, otherwise i would have jumped at it... they should... nudge nudge hint hint to any ford execs reading... makeit better than the offering from holden though... not hard lol
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #22
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

For $2ok he could pick up a 99 or 00 Ford Courier/Mazda Bravo that is fairly high specced. Its esentially the same ute as a new model.

Mine has been reasonably reliable and ive put it some places a courier shouldnt go.

The one thing that I would change is that if you get one with standard suspension, throw the front shocks in the bin.
Old 21-02-2006, 12:50 AM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'd have to agree on the previous model Nav ... have been in a few and they surprised me ... nice and comfy ... but also got the power to go with it ... and go pretty well off-road.

Had a 3.2L V6 Rodeo ... man did it go through fuel ... would have to be the thirstiest car I have driven ... it was awful. Never again.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 01:05 AM   #24
dishpig
Only an xr6...

k so obniously a triton is out of the question. I'm mostly worried about the 4wd drive side of things cause im planning on trashing it so do u think it would be worth getting a courier and modding the suspension to make it higher (or more 4wding worthy) and bigger wheels about how much would that cost(i reckon thatd look tough as) cause thats my main problem with them as long as the 4cyl deseal turbo engine can take it.
Old 21-02-2006, 01:34 AM   #25
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Hows the power on the couriers too can they launch alright i'm not looking for a drag racer or anything just sumthing where i can satisfy that urge when i want to. Also last question how much would it cost to get a style side converted to an extended tray.

Last edited by dishpig; 21-02-2006 at 01:49 AM.
Old 21-02-2006, 05:08 AM   #26
Steffo
LPG > You

Really, when I say Hilux is the best, I don't talk about features of power. It's a work car. Does it matter if its not got ultra bum massaging seats or whatever is considered modern features now?

The reason I said they are the best is... well, the term "unbreakable" comes to mind. One of the toughest vehicles on the road, period.

:
Old 21-02-2006, 08:24 AM   #27
lisa76
BEU77Y and the BEE55T

My sister is on to her second hilux - her first one she flipped on the freeway, supposedly doing 100 (knowing her, it was a tad faster than that). She clipped an embankment and rolled it, doing a full 360 and landing it back on it's wheels. She walked away from it and to look at the lux you wouldn't know it had rolled. Insurance wrote it off because there was a crack in the chassis and she snapped the axle on landing. Pretty minor considering the speed she was doing. The cab wasn't marked in the slightest and it still ran without missing a beat. The hilux will take a caning and still come back for more.

His: BEE55T 80 Series Landcruiser
Double diff locks, Rancho in cab adjustable shocks, 2" lift, GPS, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (offroad) and coming soon Mickey Thompson ATZ Radials
lisa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #28
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

New hilux's are hideous... but I suppose so are new Navaras etc aswell... :S

But your not looking at a new one in that price range... so why are we bickering about new ones?

As has been said, Hilux will never die. If you plan on flogging the ИИИИ out of it, this is the vehicle for you! Navara's are good too, but nothing in that price range / age group can possibly beat a 'Lux.

I personally would stay away from Ford Couriers. In my experience they are complete pieces of crap. But Im not you so make of that what you will.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #29
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
New hilux's are hideous... but I suppose so are new Navaras etc aswell... :S
Have you seen the new Triton coming soon? It is uglier than both Hilux and Navara put together

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post