Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Rodge
Banned

Default What's the best 7 seater for $25K ?

Was chatting to a good friend of mine this morning and was surprised when he mentioned he was thinking of trading his 5 seater Audi Allroad in for a 7 seater vehicle as I think it was only a year ago or so that he bought it, it was an import and I think its a 2003 2.7 turbo petrol, done about 60,000 km's and I think it cost him $N.Z.30,000.

His boys are getting to the stage where they frequently have friends around and he's thinking a nippy more fuel efficient 7 seater might be more convienient and flexible than his Audi, which seems to use more fuel than my SC GT-P

I really don't know that market at all, (my kids have grown up ), so I am wondering if you had $A25,000 to spend on a 7 seater what would you buy if you were so inclined ?

I know the N.Z. and Au markets are quite different in terms of pricing but I'm interested in what sort of 7 seater you could / would buy in Aus for that sort of money ?

Only vehicles that readily spring to mind for me are a Honda Odessey, but isn't that a 6 seater ?, or a Mazda CX9 ?, probably too expensive, when did they first come out ? He's had a good look on Trade Me and is definitly short of idea's, as am I.

All suggestions and comments gratefully received. If he's stupid or on a silly and pointless goose-chase please feel free to say that too

Last edited by Rodge; 08-02-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: What's the best 7 seater for $25K ?

Ford Territory???
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Ford Territory???
yeah thanks, not sure why I didn't think of that, why is it that sometimes I get a mental block..., (that's definitly a rhetorical question ).
Old 08-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without doubt I'd go for the Honda Odyssey. (yes they are 7 seat)
They're great on fuel and really quite refined.

Just one example on carsales

2008 Model
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Lol thats okay Rodge.

Depends what he wants to do with it, but a Territory is a far nicer car then a Honda Odessey or the like...
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a fan of the Terry but they are different to the Odyssey - i wouldn't say they are nicer. Very different cars. Tell your mate to drive both and see what he thinks. One thing for sure the honda will mash the Terry for fuel economy.
Obviously the Terry will have the power and Torque for towing
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Rodge
Banned

Yeah thanks for that link mate. I'm surprised its rated at only 9.4 litres per 100 km's. I don't think he's worried about towing, (he lives near the beach and has a tractor for launching and retrieving his speedboat), and yeah, good idea, I plan to e.mail him a link to this thread in due course so he'll get a handle on all the suggestions.

Dash, TBH I love the TTG, i've had a few drives in them over the years and kinda regrett never owning one, trouble is as I'm sure you know they're pretty hard on fuel. I guess I could look up what owners are really getting in the way of fuel economy for the naturally aspirated ones on the Terry threads but please anyone in the know is most welcome to post that info here.

Any other suggestions ?

Last edited by Rodge; 08-02-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Paul-80
Missing his AU Ute

I bet you can get an old 2x4 Hilux under 25K

Paul-80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't even need to spend 30 grand there rodge, 10 grand would get a Peugeot 406 HDi wagon with the optional 3rd row of seats and return under 5l/100km on the open road, they handle grouse, I'd bet better than any of those hideous people movers. The 406 are a great car and in general pretty much bullet proof, only downsides is the interior is quite fragile re fit and finish, and they are bloody slow.
There's also the more modern 307 7 seaters in diesel but unsure of what these are like.
I've looked at buying a Volvo V70 in the past and there doesn't seem to be much wrong with them, 2.3 turbos go bloody good but haven't spent enough time to see what fuel economy is like, on paper stats look good though. Can pick these up for under 15 grand, worth a look.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Rodge
Banned

Cheers for that mate, that's something I never would have thought of.

Now that I've had a second cup of coffee and actually engaged my tired old brain on this , I suppose there's the usual Korean "suspects" to consider as well, Hyundai Sante Fe, Holden Craptiva and Kia Sorrento.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got the 7 seater Terry the back seat is no good for anyone with legs or anyone over the age of 5 or 6. The Terry is not a true people mover and is no comparison to an Odyssey in that regard.

Plus it is thirsty as....

My BF GT is frugal compared to my Terry.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Id get a second hand Tez.

One thing I have never understood about the Japanese people movers is the small engines. Surely you would be better off with a V6 etc in them than the 4 pots they usually run. They would be working pretty hard.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Also one to look for...we hired one when in France. TDi is good on fuel and has enough power.

I actually think they look alright.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Dodge Journey is capable but the update is better.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Also one to look for...we hired one when in France. TDi is good on fuel and has enough power.

I actually think they look alright.
Yeah mate I tend to agree, its not as boxy as some that's for sure and the seats look really comfortable.

Found this on Trade Me, a brand new Mitsuibishi 7 seater for N.Z. $33,990 = $A26,000, surely Mitsuibishi must be in some sort of desperation mode selling these for that sort of money ??? or are they a complete POS ???

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-421374735.htm

Last edited by Rodge; 08-02-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #16
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A BF wagon with optional 3rd row? Would be closer to 10k in terms of price and if you score an egas version then half your luck. A Diesel Landcruiser could be had for 25k and would probabaly have the best re sale out of all the 7 seater options?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
A BF wagon with optional 3rd row? Would be closer to 10k in terms of price and if you score an egas version then half your luck. A Diesel Landcruiser could be had for 25k and would probabaly have the best re sale out of all the 7 seater options?
Ha, funny you say that as they have a Toyota Landcruiser, not sure what year but its badged as a Lexus, also an import but his wife has dibs on that nowdays. Anyway he mentioned to me this morning its only a 5 seater version but could be converted to a 7 seater for about $2.5K. I didn't get into whether his wife would be prepared to swap it back so he could use it again, just didn't want to go there as that might open a whole new can or worms for him...besides its a big truck with very modest performance and handling, bit of a dog really on the road,.... (sorry Pete, but mate, you know its true).
Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
BrisVegas
Noobie

I looked into this 2 years ago and for me it came down to Odyssey v Territory v Pajero. ie. on-road vs SUV vs 4x4

I went with the Pajero, because we wanted to do beach and bush camping and the turbo diesel is cheaper to run. Friends of ours bought a 7 seat Territory Ghia around the same time and they're happy too. His only complaint is that now he goes to Stockton beach and has to be very carfeul with ruts and the soft sand etc. I think he said there is no rated recovery point on the front of the Tez either. His Territory is nicer to drive around town than my Pajero. I got used to the Pajero quickly though and enjoy it now.

Note that the 3rd row in either Territory or Pajero is for kids only. Not a happy place for adults with legs.

If you really want to haul 7 people regularly, the Odyssey is a good bet.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are not going to get a new one for 25K . But for half that you will get a good reasonable k Mazda MPV . The best 7 seater released on the Australian market hands down .
Old 08-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #20
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i would recommend a Kia grand carnival try and get the luxury otherwise no point, but it is good towing we have one here it towed boats and my car, lots of room great options, good steering position and seat height also with the 3.8 ltr v6 is has hit a max so far 170 stock on a private road.

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79FordEsky
Well i would recommend a Kia grand carnival try and get the luxury otherwise no point, but it is good towing we have one here it towed boats and my car, lots of room great options, good steering position and seat height also with the 3.8 ltr v6 is has hit a max so far 170 stock on a private road.
I second this.

I have written up a great review of people movers on this site (do a search).

Kia Grand Carnival is the best people mover I have had to drive to date (not including 4WD 7 seaters).

Kia GC 2011 model has increased power to a tad over 200kw (v6 ULP), but downed the engine from 3.8 to 3.5. There is also a diesel model to choose from too.

Towed many a vehicles with this car... its big plus that it has over alot of vehicles is how long it is - it has alot of leg room, or if you take the seats out and fold them flat, it has a massive amount of room for moving stuff... I've moved my 6ft fish tank with ease, and even squeezed in a queen size matress while sitting two in the front (inc driver) and a baby seat behind me.

Either way, dont discount the Asian brands simply because they are asian... I've had more issues with my aussie cars then any asian car ive owned...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it really worth buying a large car just for his kids friends?
If I were your friend, I'd just get the current 4wd they have converted to 7 seats and swap cars with the wife.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #23
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Mitsubishi Outlander's second row of seats are really for small kids only, but not that small, as you can't tether a booster or capsule back there.

Good cars though, but try to aim for a mid spec version with stability control and 6 airbags etc.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
Reefer

We used to have a Mitsubishi Delica. People mover capacity with 4wd if that is something they would use. Good bus. 2.8 turbo diesel based on Pajero running gear. Sliding rear door which is a bonus with kids.
Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #25
z80
Banned

Second hand Volvo wagon is the way to go if on a budget.
Usually way overserviced and garaged most of their lives.

plenty get a million k's out of the engines...
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #26
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
They don't work well at sub zero temperatures, same as a refrigerated airconditioner doesnt work when it gets too hot.
from what ive personally seen id put a +1 to the terri the pajero and the volvos...and minuses to the kia carnivals the horrible mitsu outlander and rubbish craptivas. (the brand new carnivals may be good tho)
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #27
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom
Mitsubishi Outlander's second row of seats are really for small kids only, but not that small, as you can't tether a booster or capsule back there.

Good cars though, but try to aim for a mid spec version with stability control and 6 airbags etc.

EDIT: I mean't THIRD row of seats !! The second row is very spacious, with 60/40 split and electric tumble/slide forward seats.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #28
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

PAjero- brilliant cars....the 3rd row seats arent really designed for adults but for short journeys they are bearable but the good thing is they fold away under the floor and depending what level of Paj you get, they are loaded with goodies.
Mine has sat nav,reverse cam,2x DVD players, 9" rear screen, 7" front one, electrochromatic rear view mirror, ground lights, 12 speaker Rockford Fosgate factory system, leather, MMC, ipod integration, AUX video input, 3 12v sockets blah blah and thats before you even look at its off road credentials!

Bets car I ever bought- and parking is far easier than a falcon etc even without the cam. 3000kg towing is brilliant and the 3.2 DID tends to return a genuine 10-10.5 l per 100.

Like all 4WD's, they aren't quick but off the line around town it is pretty good......lock to lock takes a few more turns than I'd like but overall handling and liveability day to day is excellent.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #29
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you have 2 legless dwarves in your family NONE of the wagons , 4 WD's or even the Territory stack up .
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #30
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

turbo diesel pajero....their cheaper to run than a corolla..
have 7 seats and go like stink
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post