Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default Ugly Sticks? fishing

i have recently got an ugly stick fishing rod and am wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what exactly an ugly stick is designed to do differently. Its shaft seems to be made with diff materials...there is only one eyelet on the end of the rod and so on. Any info would be appreciated...taa

1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
drew1491
290 BF XR8

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on coli-over installation. 
Default Re: Ugly Sticks? fishing

Ugly sticks have a graphite core with fiber glass covering it.
This means its less likely to brake if you drop it but still gives you very good sensitivity.

BF XR8 in Bionic
Back burner for now

NL Pajero

Camping/adventuring vehicle
Faded paint and smells funky

Honda CBR 300R
Daily
drew1491 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep also more flexible

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
marlin351

I collect old ugly sticks (made in australia by shakesphere). They are a normal fishing rod made out of fibreglass fitted with fuji components. They were black blanks with a clear solid tip section. They were expensive in their day ( 30 years ago they cost over $100) Never heard of one with only one eye. Most had between 5 eyes for a eggbeater reel and 8 eyes for an overhead reel.
94 bmw 540
marlin351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin351
I collect old ugly sticks (made in australia by shakesphere). They are a normal fishing rod made out of fibreglass fitted with fuji components. They were black blanks with a clear solid tip section. They were expensive in their day ( 30 years ago they cost over $100) Never heard of one with only one eye. Most had between 5 eyes for a eggbeater reel and 8 eyes for an overhead reel.
ive looked up alittle bit about them and have seen pictures of them with 3 eyelets. This one has timber handles and its a 2 peice with the shaft a greyish streaky stoney colour.Looks nice. Almost 100% sure its legit 1 eyelet only two but maybe its been played with over the years...tho im not sure why.
Its got a vintage penn peer 109 reel on it.
So am i right in saying theyre basically an older design fishing rod...perhaps estuary mainly?
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the ugly stick adds in magazines 30 years ago had a bloke with a light spin rod bent in to a circle with the tip touching the butt. my brother had a medium baitcaster rod and tryed to do the same and you guessed it 'bang' two peice rod!!!! early graphite rods had a bit of a rep for being fradgile and the ugly stik had graphite wrapped over fiberglass with the clear tip and was very strong. i had a couple back in the day.
marlin 31 do you have any of the bait casters with the removable fuji butt where you could change from pistol grip to long pistol grip.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
marlin351

dont have any with removable butt cedrec. I only collect rods (and reels ) that I will use. I am a light tackle sports fisherman so all my rods have the long hyperlon butt. Have a couple of 10 ft beach uglys with sand spikes also. Years ago there was tiger ugly sticks, but havnt seen one in years. The only problem with old ugly sticks is with years of sun the outer glass begins to splinter but a coat of resin fixes that. I have trips in my boat where we go sport fishing and the only rods we take are old ugly sticks and the matching reels of the day. Still nice rods to use.
94 bmw 540
marlin351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

i have an ugly stik that is almost 20 years old

They are very sensitive, and even though it is a 7 ft one piece rod (and a pain to put in a small car on the odd occason) I will always take it over my other rods. I have never not caught something with it whenever I have taken it out
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

When we done a trip to Cape York thats all the fisherman were using. They were catching Queen and Barra off the banks and in the boats.......
Old 14-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Ugly Sticks had a reputation as being unbreakable. They are pretty much the hilux of fishing rods
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl
i have an ugly stik that is almost 20 years old

They are very sensitive, and even though it is a 7 ft one piece rod (and a pain to put in a small car on the odd occason) I will always take it over my other rods. I have never not caught something with it whenever I have taken it out
Sounds similar to mine (possibly not tho), mine is a Ugly Stik GPG 2012 6-10kg overhead boat rod, originally with a Shimano TR 200-G reel, bought new it in Broome in 93'.....

Even though i still have the original reel i now have a Shimano Trinidad TN 30 on the rod, and like you it's still my favorite rod......

As for the OP's rod, can't say i am familiar with it......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post