Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Lajon

Default Steering Rack

I have a 99 Au Lane and discovered that the steering rack boot has split in half so needs replacing...the steering is a little rough so I think that crap has gotten into it... are these easy to replace... how would I tell if I need to replace the whole rack? Any suggestions in Melvourne on where I should to get one? Need it to be cheap as we are on pension

Lajon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Steering Rack

I bought 2 rack ends with boots and tie rod ends on ebay for under $50 this should tighten everything up for you . you will need a wheel alignment

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-RACK-...item58979b477c

this is one side only but they do kits for both sides and you are better off doing both sides

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Lajon

awesome as! dunno how i missed that! i searched for them and never saw that! thanks
Anything that I need to watch our for when installing them?
Old 18-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's cheap for the boots , I bought rack boots from ford spares recently, they hurt my feelings with $40.00 each
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can get a whole refurbished rack from Ebay for $200 on an exchange basis!!

Thats the route I would take
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Generally what happens is all the road rubbish gets into the rackend ball and socket and causes it to start to bind up.....it's this binding which generally causes the stiffness you're reporting.

Just replace the rackend/s and rack boots and all should be fine again. IMA, it's fairly rare for an entire rack to stuff up as a result, but it does occur every now and then

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Lajon

Sounds all good.. only gonna get charged an extra 2 for the postage of the 2nd one so will have to go with it!
On another note, what are the cheapest oxygen sensors that people have purchased as I think I need to do that too