Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
lownloud
Ford Junkie

Default Bit of a laugh. Local Vs Import

A mate sent me this the other day. I chuckled, thought I'd pass it on.

Ok, I'm sick of it. I have an old school Aussie Muscle car in the shed and drive a mildly tweaked Aussie V8 as a family car. So I have heard all the dribble hacking on the new Ford's and Old Fords and the Holden boys cop it too. Well here a list of answers to the smart *** questions and BS statements we get from the “others”. You know those guys that drive Jap imports and Euro psuedo snob cars etc..... Add to it if you feel the need!

Dumb statement number 1:
“My WRX is quicker than a GTHO..... They are no where man”
Reply: “Well you peanut, last time I looked a GTHO was near enough on 40 years old. If your WRX didn't smoke it then I would seriously doubt the intellegence of man and his ability to progress and improve on technology over that time. It SHOULD be a better car dynamically and in just about every aspect.”

Dumb statement number 2:
“ A HSV/GT/F6 isn't as good as a BMW M3 or an Audi S6 (or whatever)....
Reply:
“OK I get it..... We are comparing a $80,000 car with a $180,000 car. I ask you this, would you compare a one bedroom sitter in Bankstown with a 3 bedroom house on the North Shore and expect it to stack up? Or lets put it into something simpler....Ummm, OK let's say a Nokia 6500 with an Apple iPhone. 'nuff said really.

Dumb statement number 3:
“Aussie cars are ****. My car can do everything they can do but better”
Reply:
Well OK mate, Next time I'm going away for the weekend with the family we'll use your car. Here's what I need to take away with me. Me, The missus, two kids, grandma, Four suitcases, two eskies, two bikes, two boogey boards, a toolkit, the dog, four sleeping bags and pilows, 3 backpacks and we'll be towing the tinnie boat.....over the mountains, yep that's right.”
What's that? The Hyundai wouldn't cope? Why not?

Dumb statement number 4:
“My Landcruiser can do all that” (ref statement number 3)
Reply:
Oh I'm sorry, but I wanted something that is vaguely entertaining to drive. Yep the list of features is impressive but I'm pretty sure I'd rather my “falcadore FPGTS” on a nice twisty road than your topple truck.
Like most people who drive 4wd's, Off road doesn't interest me.
*Nb: Real 4wd driver are OK.

Dumb statement number 5:
“Imports (grey) are way better for the money”
Reply:
Sweet. Next time I feel like waiting 3 months for parts and dealing with someone with only a vague grip on the english language I'll buy a 12 year old performance car with a list of performance parts I have no idea about, can't replace or repair......

Oh and if you are reading this and think it's your god given right to stay in the right hand lane when there is 12 cars backed up behind you and you are doing 12km an hour under the speed limit blocking the flow of traffic, remember everyone behind you thinks you are a self centered moron!
Consider the possibility of someone behind you may be wanting to get a loved one to hospital quickly. It may be you one day.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

And this is why they are in the minority.
I've just spent the whole weekend in a two-door Merc CLK, and let me tell you, they look 10 times more impressive than they actually drive.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Dumb Statement: My R33 needs a 5'' Cannon exhaust so when I tune it for 600hp the zorst can handle it.

Reply When is your heap of *poo* ever going to have 600hp, you still haven't buffed the rubmarks out from when scrapped your boyfriends supra at McDonalds 18 months ago. So you have an exhaust sytem that makes as much noise as a 2.5l engine possibly can and half the horsepower. Theres a reason you work at the parts counter of Supercheap.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
JimNiki
71Mach1

If a rice car genuinely had guts and handled well, would the owner really need to put a milo tin and blow off valve and 4 foot spoiler on?...

I don't feel good about the statement above, it's like making fun of the mentally dissoluded... give 'em a break please... they're trying their best!
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 05-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

eh, works both ways and i have seen it.
You get some of the owners of local cars that have been modded to the high heavens bragging to owners of 911 turbos, GTRs, M3s, etc that they can take them on in a 1/4 mile race.
Then you get others who with their grey imports, again modded trying to take on stock 911s, GTRs, M3s, etc.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
JAMIES88
Banned

The only reason the Bmws & Mercs are so dear here is due to taxes, in the states a new C63 is $75,000 usd. M3's are $85,000. Here they are double that...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIES88
The only reason the Bmws & Mercs are so dear here is due to taxes, in the states a new C63 is $75,000 usd. M3's are $85,000. Here they are double that...
Not just taxes, exchange rate, dealer costs and the cost of shipping the cars here. We're not a large market for these cars so the costs of getting them on the market here bump the prices up a bit more.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Not just taxes, exchange rate, dealer costs and the cost of shipping the cars here. We're not a large market for these cars so the costs of getting them on the market here bump the prices up a bit more.
Yeh, the pommy BMW M3 is basically the same as the Australian one (UK cost $96,295AUD RRP including all their taxes) so if you add about $5k for freight and another $5k for dealer expenses you get $105k +/- which is exactly what they sell for here.........isn't it?????
Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
The Snout

You've reached the bottom of the barrel when taking Grandma on holidays is a gloating point.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
JAMIES88
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yeh, the pommy BMW M3 is basically the same as the Australian one (UK cost $96,295AUD RRP including all their taxes) so if you add about $5k for freight and another $5k for dealer expenses you get $105k +/- which is exactly what they sell for here.........isn't it?????
Not even close, they retail for $199,000 registered on the road here.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Thats a tad more then the US$55000 MSRP in the states.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
And of that $199,000, $42,563.10 is Luxury Car tax. Take out the tax and the car would be ~$157,000.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
He was being sarcastic mate!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
He was being sarcastic mate!
Who me????

Yes we get nailed to a cross in this country with regard to imports.

It has always amused me that product built here and exported always sells retail for less than it does here.

e.g. Capri, Monaro, Comodore SS etc.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Who me????

Yes we get nailed to a cross in this country with regard to imports.
Nailed is an understatement!!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Dumb Statement: My R33 needs a 5'' Cannon exhaust so when I tune it for 600hp the zorst can handle it.

Reply When is your heap of *poo* ever going to have 600hp, you still haven't buffed the rubmarks out from when scrapped your boyfriends supra at McDonalds 18 months ago. So you have an exhaust sytem that makes as much noise as a 2.5l engine possibly can and half the horsepower. Theres a reason you work at the parts counter of Supercheap.
Your not funny at all. Fail.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Hoon
Your not funny at all. Fail.

Let me guess, an R33 owner and a Supercheap employee.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Im sure there are the "lack of intellegence" breed from both the import and local camps. For me I think drive whatever floats your boat and its great to see different cars driven by genuine enthusiasts who are passionate in what they drive but also appreciate each others cars.

Oh I have an American Import and a local car.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #19
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very witty! everybody knows he with the most money wins! No matter what he drives!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Let me guess, an R33 owner and a Supercheap employee.

haha close just a R33 owner
Old 05-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #21
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

I am having a little trouble comprehending why everything is deemed to be better just because some part of it is "European".

The same product could be built to the same or better standards elsewhere (and often is) but the European one is better somehow.

Cars especially. I was talking to the mother in law about her Saab, and she wanted update to a newish Volvo. I listed a number of cars built and available locally that offered the same or better level of gizmos, safety and build quality at a lower price. Not to mention the price and availability of spare parts and servicing. Her response: "But the Volvo is European".

Maybe it's just the **** factor of the badge, but surely it can't be worth a premium of thousands of dollars over what the car should be worth.

My sister in law wants a Peugeot for no other reason than that it's European. She doesn't even care what model it is, despite my logical arguments, as long as it's a Peugeot. What's with that?
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #22
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
I am having a little trouble comprehending why everything is deemed to be better just because some part of it is "European".

The same product could be built to the same or better standards elsewhere (and often is) but the European one is better somehow.

Cars especially. I was talking to the mother in law about her Saab, and she wanted update to a newish Volvo. I listed a number of cars built and available locally that offered the same or better level of gizmos, safety and build quality at a lower price. Not to mention the price and availability of spare parts and servicing. Her response: "But the Volvo is European".

Maybe it's just the **** factor of the badge, but surely it can't be worth a premium of thousands of dollars over what the car should be worth.

My sister in law wants a Peugeot for no other reason than that it's European. She doesn't even care what model it is, despite my logical arguments, as long as it's a Peugeot. What's with that?
Agree with everything you have said. How many times have you heard people say "But you could be something European for that price" when referring to a GT or a Clubbie.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #23
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
Agree with everything you have said. How many times have you heard people say "But you could be something European for that price" when referring to a GT or a Clubbie.
Come to think of it never. At the end of the day not everyone wants a Holden or Ford.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #24
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
You've reached the bottom of the barrel when taking Grandma on holidays is a gloating point.
Hahaha sig worthy.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
Old 05-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

A lot of the time, people stereotype car owners, often to validate their own car choice.
I'm all for a bit of banter, and the OP's got a point, the comments he posted are pretty funny, but it also goes to show the ignorance of many import/local car owners.
I would like to think that I am pretty impartial, I have great respect for Japanese imports, particularly the mighty GTR, 2JZ, SR20, et al. Its the same with ford v Holden, I respect Holden for their present V8, VLturbo(more of a Nissan but still, kudos) and so on.
I can at least say I'm not one-eyed. But ill always love my fords, they recieve a preference, but a preference only and if a better car is available for the money, it will recieve preference.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #26
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

FPV FG GT (2010) http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/bncis/details.aspx?seot=1&R=8276076&silo=-1&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Dec imal%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model _String%7c0&Cr=&trecs=21&__N=1216%201246%204294965 879%204294967229
$59,990...

HSV Clubby GXP (2010)
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/demo/details.aspx?seot=1&R=8738047&silo=-1&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Dec imal%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model _String%7c0&Cr=&trecs=19&__N=1216%201247%201252%20 1282%204294965530%204294964634%204294742329
$53,990...

I'd like to know where I can get something of similar spec - that is 'Euro' for the same price...
(ie: 2010 model... 300kw... sedan... relatively exclusive...)
Old 05-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #27
BOSHOG
avenge me

i think a big problem with car buyers in Australia is the focus on power output. the rest of the car is usually overlooked by consumers, just look at the f6, it has a beautiful engine/trans combo with seats more at home in a taxi, suspension that feels floaty and tyres that cant handle half the power supplied.

until Ford and Holden design a car that can keep up with the engines they install these euro comparisons will be pointless. you really do get what you pay for
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

imports are great if you use poofy hair stuff.. and listen to girly music.....
Old 05-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #29
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
i think a big problem with car buyers in Australia is the focus on power output. the rest of the car is usually overlooked by consumers, just look at the f6, it has a beautiful engine/trans combo with seats more at home in a taxi, suspension that feels floaty and tyres that cant handle half the power supplied.

until Ford and Holden design a car that can keep up with the engines they install these euro comparisons will be pointless. you really do get what you pay for
We are talking about sports cars here.... and power does have something to do with the selection process...

Its not everything... but its something.,.,,
Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #30
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
imports are great if you use poofy hair stuff.. and listen to girly music.....

haha everyone of your posts cracks me up

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Closed Thread