Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
au1tonner
tray top master

Exclamation easiest way to remove or bypass speed limiters on au falcons

i have 2 au falcons and i want to remove or bypass the speed limiters on them one is a s1 forte auto and the other is a s2 xls ute on dedicated gas manual any ideas or advice would be helpful as i kno the sedan tops out at 180 and wont go any further unless i can remove or bypass the limiter and the reason i want to do this is i want to do some track work with them.

au1tonner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: easiest way to remove or bypass speed limiters on au falcons

Not a build related question...

I believe the speed limiter can only be removed by retuning the ECU. The ute has the speed limiter to protect the long tailshaft, remove or raise the limit at your own risk.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDUP View Post
Not a build related question...

I believe the speed limiter can only be removed by retuning the ECU. The ute has the speed limiter to protect the long tailshaft, remove or raise the limit at your own risk.
Correct Dave - on both accounts. Speed limiter can be removed by having it retuned - quite an expensive workaround (unless you have a Quarterhorse ). The LWB cars (Utes, Wagons and Fairlane/LTD) are limited to 180kph due to the longer tailshaft. Longer tailshafts at high rpm are more prone to harmonics caused by flexing of the tailshaft. When they break free, it tends to take the back half of the gear box with it. Not pretty! I have heard of this happening to one friend on a dyno.

I would leave the ute, but for the Forte on the track only, I would disconnect the speedo drive gear electronically from the gearbox. That may work as you really do not need a speedo on the track. I, from personal experience on a dyno can confirm 100% the speed limiter is triggered by the speedo gear from the gearbox.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
dusty86

My xr6 never had a speed limiter?
dusty86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty86 View Post
My xr6 never had a speed limiter?
XR6 Sedan or ute? XRs in the sedan variety did not have speed limiters as they do not fulfil the requirements for a speed limiter as I have listed above.

We have learnt though, that when it came to Ford and the AUs, there are no set rules, so it is possible to find some with or without.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 29-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
rmack

Quote:
I would disconnect the speedo drive gear electronically from the gearbox.
Being an auto won't this throw the box into limp?
7" DVD/GPS Radio
19" Wheels

HIS
FG XR8 Ute
Lux Pack
Tech Pack
Touch Screen GPS
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack View Post
Being an auto won't this throw the box into limp?
Possibly, possibly not. When tuning the transmission side of the ECU, one of the inputs is tailshaft speed. This is independant of the speedo gear feedback to the ecu. I know this, because the transmission shift points in my tune stayed with the tailshaft revolutions rather than speed after I changed my diff ratio (and had not changed my speedo gear). The ECU knows the tailshaft speed from the revs and gears. I am yet to determine how the speedo speed and the calculated speed differ (Axle ratio in my tune is still set to 3.23, despite me having a 3.45 diff) AXRATIO of 3.45 threw out my speed feed to my inbuilt satnav trip computer, but not my speedo???

Confused?

This is my experience with my V8 ECU. It may not necissarly apply to all.

I did say that disconnecting the speedo gear electronically MAY work and it was worth a try. I would be interested, based on my experience with the ECU to hear actual feedback from someone who has tried it.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 29-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

I've tried it on an AU6, and it'll shift hard into 2nd and 3rd, but once it's in 3rd gear, it stays there (LHM)... I was able to manually gear down though into 2nd and 1st without an issue...
Old 30-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
EvilChief
Boost Addict

XRs had speed limiters, they were set to 250kph.

Speed limiter removal can only be done properly through ecu alteration, there is a couple of ways around it:

1. Fit a chip with a raised speed limiter setting (ie J3 etc)
2. Fit a XR ECU
3. Get Ford to reflash your ECU to XR spec

I have done all of the above for various reasons including removing speed limiters.

As for tailshaft, it is correct the longer tailshafts are not balanced as well, I changed mine to steel ones with balancing exceeding the expected rpm limit at the set speed limit (diff ratio dependent etc)
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRGhia View Post
I've tried it on an AU6, and it'll shift hard into 2nd and 3rd, but once it's in 3rd gear, it stays there (LHM)... I was able to manually gear down though into 2nd and 1st without an issue...
Wouldnt be lhm if you can manually shift into 1st and 2nd,limp home mode locks it in third gear no matter what you do as a self preservation feature or the trans.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well I bypassed my speed limter.
Cost $10,000 but now she has her own car.
Marked improvment in the daily drive.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief View Post
1. Fit a chip with a raised speed limiter setting (ie J3 etc)
2. Fit a XR ECU
3. Get Ford to reflash your ECU to XR spec

I have done all of the above for various reasons including removing speed limiters.
Steady on there...

Are you saying a bog standard pov AU ECU can be simply flashed by Ford to become a fully fledged u beaut XR ECU?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

^^^ I'm curious about the same thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Wouldnt be lhm if you can manually shift into 1st and 2nd,limp home mode locks it in third gear no matter what you do as a self preservation feature or the trans.
I've had it in LHM before, both in the Fairlane, and my Wagon (when it was auto), and I haven't had an issue with gearing it down manually. Just when it gears up, it can hit rev limiter before it'll want to do anything, then it'll just use full line pressure and slam into 2nd.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the XR has the alloy tailshaft and does not require a limiter. remove the limiter on the steel tailshaft and you risk the tailshaft self destructing at high speed not good.
if you are hell bent on self destruction you can have it flashed out as mentioned above or fit this
disconnecting the speedo drive on an auto will result in the car going into limp home mode

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 03-05-2013 at 11:08 AM.
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
robbyj
Rob

You can wire in a module to bypass the speed limiter.

These are available from http://www.shiftkits.com.au/

Now as others have said, use at your own risk.

Out of curiosity, which track are you thinking of playing around on?
I have never hit the limiter on Winton.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

And Factory EGAS may not have one .... they don't have a spark cut rev limiter (for obvious reasons).

Plus I doubt a factory EGAS would even be able to get to 180km/h anyway.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Steady on there...

Are you saying a bog standard pov AU ECU can be simply flashed by Ford to become a fully fledged u beaut XR ECU?
that is correct
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
that is correct
Well I'll be buggered...

How long has this been known for?

What do they generally charge?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #19
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
that is correct
I will go out on a limb here and say that this is not necessarily true. From my tuning experience, some ECUs have to stay have to stay within their original designated 'Family'.

For example, a series 1 ECU, to the best of my knowledge cannot be flashed with a S2/3 tune or visa versa.

My advice, would be to be careful at which ECU you are flashing with which tune. Assuming it works, there are many differences between models and tunes. For example, I would not flash a 200kw ute ECU with a 220kw tune. The 200kw cam is much more aggressive than the 220kw one (despite the lesser power). The wrong tune could/will have a devastating impact.

I agree with comments above, be wary of removing speed limiters on cars that had them in place originally for good reason.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
robbyj
Rob

i reckon try racing them, and if you actually hit the limiter, and its a problem, then worry about it. Or maybe build the AU as a designated race car, rather then just chop the wires.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #21
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Plus I doubt a factory EGAS would even be able to get to 180km/h anyway.
don't bet on it

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
I will go out on a limb here and say that this is not necessarily true. From my tuning experience, some ECUs have to stay have to stay within their original designated 'Family'.

For example, a series 1 ECU, to the best of my knowledge cannot be flashed with a S2/3 tune or visa versa.

My advice, would be to be careful at which ECU you are flashing with which tune. Assuming it works, there are many differences between models and tunes. For example, I would not flash a 200kw ute ECU with a 220kw tune. The 200kw cam is much more aggressive than the 220kw one (despite the lesser power). The wrong tune could/will have a devastating impact.

I agree with comments above, be wary of removing speed limiters on cars that had them in place originally for good reason.

Cheers
Stu

I cannot comment on the V8 relfashed, as I never had an a povo V8 to play with (they all were XRs to begin with).

I only got 6cyl ECUs reflashed, main for the speed limiter removal and the adaptive shift pattern of the gearbox.

The cams between XR6 and povo6 were the same in the AUs, so it had only very little impact, however the self learning of the ECU was/is very powerful in the EECV.

Without knowing the distinct differences in tune between the individual XR8 tunes, I would suspect that the ECU will be able to learn fairly effectively the differences (both on the fuel and ignition side).

AULTD: you are correct thou, when re-flashing the program has to be kept within the same family, based on the ECU Code (which of course in turn relates to the year model and spec).

Back in the old days (we are talking early 2000s) it cost me $120 to get an ECU flashed. I am not sure if and which dealerships still have the ability to do this, just a matter of asking I suppose. Its only a matter of uploading a new strategy to the EPROM through the Datacan.

Edit: Also AU1 vs AU2/3 ECUs have the hickup of smartlock vs smartshield ....
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 04-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
however the self learning of the ECU was/is very powerful in the EECV.
Yes it is, but it does have limitations on how far it can 'adapt'! It is far from ideal to rely on adaptive learning to correct a bad or incorrect tune.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
I cannot comment on the V8 relfashed, as I never had an a povo V8 to play with (they all were XRs to begin with).

I only got 6cyl ECUs reflashed, main for the speed limiter removal and the adaptive shift pattern of the gearbox.

The cams between XR6 and povo6 were the same in the AUs, so it had only very little impact, however the self learning of the ECU was/is very powerful in the EECV.

Without knowing the distinct differences in tune between the individual XR8 tunes, I would suspect that the ECU will be able to learn fairly effectively the differences (both on the fuel and ignition side).

AULTD: you are correct thou, when re-flashing the program has to be kept within the same family, based on the ECU Code (which of course in turn relates to the year model and spec).

Back in the old days (we are talking early 2000s) it cost me $120 to get an ECU flashed. I am not sure if and which dealerships still have the ability to do this, just a matter of asking I suppose. Its only a matter of uploading a new strategy to the EPROM through the Datacan.

Edit: Also AU1 vs AU2/3 ECUs have the hickup of smartlock vs smartshield ....
Interesting.

As far as I'm aware, XR6 cams have 1mm more lift than the povo I6's.
I haven't actually measured this, but all literature says so.

As for the learning, I'd suspect they can adapt quite well with different cams and mods.

Many moons ago, my XH had a JMM DEV5 package (big lift cam, head porting, chamber work, etc) - AFR's were spot on, and it made good power from idle to cutout. All from a standard XR ECU.

I might have a yarn to the local Ford dude this week.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post

That would be mainly due to smartlock/smartshield difference.
Otherwise that, the parameters would be very similar.
Quote:
I'd put money on there not much difference at all between tunes on the 200/220 ECU's.
I reckon you'd barely notice the difference.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #26
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
That would be mainly due to smartlock/smartshield difference.
Otherwise that, the parameters would be very similar.

I'd put money on there not much difference at all between tunes on the 200/220 ECU's.
I reckon you'd barely notice the difference.
I would agree there

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
Yes it is, but it does have limitations on how far it can 'adapt'! It is far from ideal to rely on adaptive learning to correct a bad or incorrect tune.

Cheers
Stu
Absolutely, however I was impressed with my povo pack ECU the other day, which happily adapted to 42lb injectors without a tune. took only around 50km to pull the AFRs back up to an acceptable level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Interesting.

As far as I'm aware, XR6 cams have 1mm more lift than the povo I6's.
I haven't actually measured this, but all literature says so.

As for the learning, I'd suspect they can adapt quite well with different cams and mods.

Many moons ago, my XH had a JMM DEV5 package (big lift cam, head porting, chamber work, etc) - AFR's were spot on, and it made good power from idle to cutout. All from a standard XR ECU.

I might have a yarn to the local Ford dude this week.
Interesting, I know the pre-AU XRs had different cams, wasn't aware that AU XR cams were different. I never noticed any difference on the dyno or street drive at all. I ran my old Crow Cam S3, with the usual head work etc etc with an XR ECU and it ran very well to say the least (better than with a chip, which ended up in the bin).
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
don't bet on it
It may reach it .... but it'd have to be dead flat ... or at least downhill
I've had the old AUII EGAS ute up there ... and it took a bit to hit the "old" 100.

The mixer ring really holds it up at the top end.

After market cam helps a bit as I did make more top end power (but not that much) ... EGAS was more low-mid range torque friendly.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #28
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Interesting, I know the pre-AU XRs had different cams, wasn't aware that AU XR cams were different. I never noticed any difference on the dyno or street drive at all. I ran my old Crow Cam S3, with the usual head work etc etc with an XR ECU and it ran very well to say the least (better than with a chip, which ended up in the bin).
I only did a cam swap around 6 months ago or so, I could kick myself in the head for not taking some measurements of the cams.

Power wise I can't say as I did the Tickford head at the same time, plus some minor porting and chamber work (and XR ECU).

Power obviously improved with all that, but it certainly wasn't as dramatic as I hoped.
It was only until I fitted a vernier gear and advanced it 4deg did it come alive.

From what you said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the cams were the same, but I have the specs in 2 different workshop manuals, and it was printed in most rags at the time.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #29
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
I only did a cam swap around 6 months ago or so, I could kick myself in the head for not taking some measurements of the cams.

Power wise I can't say as I did the Tickford head at the same time, plus some minor porting and chamber work (and XR ECU).

Power obviously improved with all that, but it certainly wasn't as dramatic as I hoped.
It was only until I fitted a vernier gear and advanced it 4deg did it come alive.

From what you said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the cams were the same, but I have the specs in 2 different workshop manuals, and it was printed in most rags at the time.

cool sounds good to me ... I do believe thou that the "tune" between the stocko may still be the same apart from gbox and speed limit.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 27-11-2022, 10:21 AM   #30
KeegsRTVwags
Starter Motor

I would be very interested to know what track you plan on hitting over 180kph in an AU? I took my ute to sandown and it limited on the back straight right at the braking point anyway so wasn’t an issue, and took my fiesta ST there too and got like 191, then at Phillip island in the ST I got 202, on the fastest circuit in Australia. Have you got any work done to the mighty old intech or is it a stock as a rock gasser?

As one bloke up above said it is far better to work on your driving before going for speed. And you’ll quickly find how much more fun it is going through a corner fast than it is hitting huge speed in a straight line.

All that being said, I wouldn’t mine delimiting my ute as I’m looking to turn it a bit more track car direction than road car and was thinking if a two piece tailshaft out of a sedan could be customised to fit. Pretty sure under wagons I’ve seen there’s a mounting point for a centre bearing.
KeegsRTVwags is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post