Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Cobravan
Bitsa

Default Just bought an au XR8 ex vic police car.

I just got myself an 1999 au xr8 ex police car. Does anyone know what mods have been done to these cars by the police?

Old 04-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

For starters, check your compliance plate under the hood and if its got "OPT20" on it, expect the following:

Stiffer suspension (think it may be a little bit lower than your normal XR too, cant remember)
Interior light on/off switch (it doesnt just come on with the doors like normal ones)
Few extra wires etc for equipment that would have been in there when it was in service
Not speed limited to 180, but no engine mods either so dont be thinking its a rocket!
More accurate speedo - 2km/hr increments as opposed to 5 like the normal ones

There are other things that I can't think of, but thats the nuts and bolts of it....
Old 04-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
sly
Sly like a G6

Those would have been factory mods yeah? He wants to know what mods the police made to them... gotta be some donuts in there somewhere...
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Those would have been factory mods yeah? He wants to know what mods the police made to them... gotta be some donuts in there somewhere...
Police Vinals, Siren and disco lights removed. They sure know how to ruin the new owners fun.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

No mods at all, apart from the range listed by Austin. Of course, people will tell you they are chipped, and they run bigger brakes, and have better engine internals, yaddah, yaddah. truth is, they are just like any other XR8 except for the bits requested by police to run lights etc.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
docjames
Starter Motor

Bigger Alternator (to run the lights whilst idleing)

Edit: Well, not run, but stop the battery going flat actually.
docjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjames

Are you sure about that? I had one, and it had the same alternator as my mates XR8 (non-police spec).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
No mods at all, apart from the range listed by Austin. Of course, people will tell you they are chipped, and they run bigger brakes, and have better engine internals, yaddah, yaddah. truth is, they are just like any other XR8 except for the bits requested by police to run lights etc.
and most likely thrashed in every shift too!

You hear some funny stories if you know some coppers...particularly if they involve a divvy van with a crook in the back too and they take the road with the speed humps lol
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjames

6's got the bigger alt but the 8's didnt AFAIK. Looked it up on Microcat but that was a few days ago now.......
Old 04-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Police Cars had heavier Rated Steel Rims aswell ... Hardened Springs in Divisional Vans to cope wiht the Weight of the Cage (Cell) ..

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 12:41 AM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Police Cars had heavier Rated Steel Rims aswell ... Hardened Springs in Divisional Vans to cope with the Weight of the Cage (Cell) ..
But he bought an XR8 - as he didn't specify, I have assumed it was a sedan. Not too many of them running on steel rims, or dressed up as divvy vans. People really need to read the threads properly instead of answering what they think was asked.

Just in case what you have said is "true" for the Forte models etc, where is your proof of these claims? The steel rims have no different weight rating to the steel rims found under the hub caps of any Forte. At least, not the spare I had in mine (which I think is still in the shed, actually)

Old 05-12-2007, 03:41 AM   #12
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

only other thing that i found cool about the ex-cop cars is being able to adjust ur speedo up and down 10km. i've put mine so it reads a couple of k's faster to maybe save me some points.......

http://www.aufalcon.com.au/3x-puursui7
FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
james22
With da Warlords

Only thing missing i can think of is the PBR Brake upgrade, instead of the std brakes that about it.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
james22
With da Warlords

***deleted***

Last edited by james22; 05-12-2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: stupid computer.... dbl post
Old 05-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
Cobravan
Bitsa

Hey, thanks guys. Yep that's what I was looking for. The interior light had me wondering why it didn't work with the doors!!

No engine mods huh... I may have to fix that.

How do you adjust the speedo?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #16
Cobravan
Bitsa

Oh yeah it has opt 20 on the id plate!
Old 05-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
XRNIL8

Cobravan ...... well .... are there pics?

I have a 98 AU XR8 ex vic pol ..... yes, has the stiffer suspension, yes, the interior light is correct, speed limited .... nope .....well certainly not at 180 (tested in legal conditions) incriments although marked at every 2 km ... cosidered accurate to 1km as every space is another increment.

There is a mob here in Vic that are a police historical group that can find out info on your particular car, such as was it a regular patrol car, a highway patrol, marked or unmarked ... etc etc ...

For the record, I have OPT 20, there are 2 small screw holed on the right hand front windscreen pilar, there is also a mark under the passengers airbag from something having been fitted there at some point. Look at the wires to your headlights and tail lights ... they really do a dodgy job there. When you pull the back seats forward, I have to sets of 2 holes from where the flashing internal lights were fitted (yes, mine was a sneaky undercover car) I have also found 2 additional holes on the drivers side under the bonnet near the bonnet strutt. There is also another set of holes in the front of the battery tray ..... also has a dark tint that would otherwise be considered too dark ;)

Brakes ..... now I cannot be sure of the upgrade .. but I tell ya what, I am going out to have alook now .... lmao.

Did the coppers flog these cars ....... absolutely they did, they are after all only human ..... and get all gooey over V8 Fords ... lmao

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
The new home of Motorsport in Central Victoria
XRNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #18
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobravan

How do you adjust the speedo?
Turn your ignition to ACC, Hold down the trip meter button for EXACTLY 5 secs, At the end of 5 secs, turn your ignition to ON.

Speedo will display on your dash... Next to that is a number (eg.) -2. Means it is set to -2 %

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 05-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any one with a decent scan tool can fix the interior light it is just a setting in the BEM
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #20
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
any one with a decent scan tool can fix the interior light it is just a setting in the BEM
No he was talking about the override switch inside police pack vehicles.

Its on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, and cuts all power to all interior lights including boot. So they can open the doors, boot etc without any light coming on.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 05-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #21
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AFAIK the police cars came with the interior light door switches disabled and had a switch to turn it on manually this setting is in the BEM and can be changed
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
AFAIK the police cars came with the interior light door switches disabled and had a switch to turn it on manually this setting is in the BEM and can be changed
Yes, this is correct. The effect is what James22 was saying though, too (ie turn the switch off and the lights stay off, turn it on, and they are on when door opens).

Old 05-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #23
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Turn your ignition to ACC, Hold down the trip meter button for EXACTLY 5 secs, At the end of 5 secs, turn your ignition to ON.

Speedo will display on your dash... Next to that is a number (eg.) -2. Means it is set to -2 %
Is this possible in BF's ?? One of the guys in the ORSM club has this feature in his GT.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPHN
Is this possible in BF's ?? One of the guys in the ORSM club has this feature in his GT.
If it's an ex-xop car, then yes, it should be possible. The police speedo calibration is tested at least once a year - you may see the remains of the old stickers on the inside of the drivers door near the hinge.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #25
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If it's an ex-xop car, then yes, it should be possible. The police speedo calibration is tested at least once a year - you may see the remains of the old stickers on the inside of the drivers door near the hinge.
Hmm its not a Ex-cop it a BA GT-P, He was fiddleing around trying things and then noticed that he switched this feature on much like the seatbelt warning light can be turned off by switching Acc on holding the hazard light down while pluging and un plugging the seatbelt 5 time then Acc off while releasing the hazard button.

Sorry to be off topic. I guess the x-cop cars have all theses features switched on or off straight out.

Tristan

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #26
Cobravan
Bitsa

Here are some pics. I know it was a marked car by the paint. The removal of the stickers has damaged the clear coat. So far I have not found any holes but I have only had the car 2 days.. I will have a good look this weekend.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #27
Cobravan
Bitsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRNIL8
There is a mob here in Vic that are a police historical group that can find out info on your particular car, such as was it a regular patrol car, a highway patrol, marked or unmarked ... etc etc ...

Did the coppers flog these cars ....... absolutely they did, they are after all only human ..... and get all gooey over V8 Fords ... lmao

Sounds interesting, do you have any details on this historical group?

I would expect no less from an ex cop car to be well floged!! I am no different, so I can't throw stones. There is something about getting into a car built to go fast and handle well with a nice exhaust note that makes me want to race every where i go..... Does this wear off after a while? (My last car was a df ltd slug)
Old 29-12-2022, 09:30 AM   #28
Rammjet
Starter Motor

Default Re: Just bought an au XR8 ex vic police car.

I just bought a 2006 xr8 x police car from nsw police force , what mods can I look for on this car , did the xr8 come out with a transmission cooler , a long thin 1 goes across the front behind the bottom grille part , or is that a power steering cooler ? Just want to know as if transmission cooler don’t need to worry about ****ty heat exchanger failing and destroying the 6 speed auto
Rammjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2022, 10:47 PM   #29
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Just bought an au XR8 ex vic police car.

Mate section you need the B series to post it there .
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post