Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-11-2022, 12:03 PM   #1
Half Dead
Starter Motor

Default AU2 Wipers still not working after motor/linkage swap

Hi first time posting,
I have been living without wipers for a while, I assumed the issue was a seized linkage as when they started failing by moving super slowly at first, and eventually would just sit in the parked position kind of shuddering as the motor ticked.
I eventually found a replacement motor and linkage on ebay since my local wrecker didn't have one. Unfortunately, after installing the new part, It seems the issue remains.

I tested the plug with a multimeter (video below), with the wiper switch in the fast/high setting the wires (Colours as they are on motor side of the plug) have the following voltages:

Blue: Ticks between 1v and 0v
Green: Ticks between 12.2v and 10.8v
Black: Ground
Red: Ticks between 4v and 0v
Brown: Ground

https://youtu.be/8RaJw_bppGo

Not sure if these results are what's expected or where the problem lies, it is entirely possible that the ebay seller sent me a dud, or there's a problem elsewhere that's out of my expertise a little.
Half Dead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: AU2 Wipers still not working after motor/linkage swap

Check the stalk wiring inside the column shroud at the end of the stalk are not frayed or broken. They can have similar issues to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q13bPJn6Y1o At least new ones are still available https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182717597081 There may also be a fault in the wiper control circuit of the body Electronic Module (BEM). See http://www.fordmods.com/ford-technic...martsheild-d35

Last edited by aussiblue; 12-11-2022 at 01:09 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

...and I think your grotty Multimeter might work better after a good clean and removal of dust in the switch etc
Old 12-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #4
Half Dead
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Check the stalk wiring inside the column shroud at the end of the stalk are not frayed or broken. They can have similar issues to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q13bPJn6Y1o At least new ones are still available https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182717597081
Thanks, I'll check it out when I have a bit of time, see if I can spot anything loose back there, I wondered if the brown wire maybe shouldn't be ground, and has come loose and earthed out somewhere, so maybe that one goes to the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
...and I think your grotty Multimeter might work better after a good clean and removal of dust in the switch etc
lol yeah, the switch on it has been dicky for a while.
Old 12-11-2022, 03:46 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Check the 'Tech Resources' area for wiring diagrams.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:41 PM   #6
Half Dead
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Check the 'Tech Resources' area for wiring diagrams.
The wiring diagram is a little confusing, I'm looking at 24-4-47 the one labelled "Section I-A Wiper washer system - LWB" I think that's the right one?

The wires going into the wiper motor are labelled with codes like "56 DB-Y" or "58 W-DB" I assume the letters somehow correspond with the colour of the wires, but I cant see how they'd match the actual colours on my wires.

Also I'd need the version of the combo switch with Cruise control. looks like this guy https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141204653428 has a few different versions. Not sure what "Wiper dwell" is, is that just intermittent wipers, don't they all have that?
Old 15-11-2022, 09:01 PM   #7
Half Dead
Starter Motor

OMG, so after a ton of troubleshooting;
- I pulled off the steering wheel (had to buy a set of 5-point torx bits and a steering wheel puller to do it) and took off the column switches...
- I tested the switches as best I could with my multimeter and they seemed to work as I expected and I couldn't see any obvious damage like in that Territory video.
- I tested the continuity of the wires from the plug that the column switch plugs into, right to the plug that the wiper motor plugs into... all good.

I doubted the BEM being the problem, since I wasn't having any other issues with anything else controlled by the BEM.

After doing all this, I decided to do the thing I probably should have done first; check that the new motor/linkages that I bought off ebay weren't dodgy.
I pulled off the connecting linkages with a flathead screwdriver and tried the motor on it's own... It worked just fine, turns out the driver-side wiper socket/sleeve/whatever is completely seized, which incidentally was the exact same issue I had with my original one ��

https://youtube.com/shorts/rSdGL_nVh6Q

Last edited by Half Dead; 15-11-2022 at 09:02 PM. Reason: vid link
3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2022, 05:10 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Cars, never a dull moment
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post