Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-10-2022, 03:39 PM   #1
YTE-017

Default AU111 XR8 Red hand flashing light in dash

I have an AU111 XR8 manual 220,000K's. When my car is turned off and key removed from ignition, a red hand flashes in the dashboard and the interior light stays on. That light does not "fade" off as per usual. In addition, the ignition key courtesy light remains on when the ignition key is removed.

Have disconnected the negative lead from the battery overnight however interior light condition remains the same but the ignition key courtesy light now "fades" off as it should.

The car starts and drives ok - no problems and the flashing hand ceases to flash when accessories are engaged and the car is started. Have tried the second ignition key to no avail.

Any ideas on what's going on? Cheers
YTE-017 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2022, 10:30 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: AU111 XR8 Red hand flashing light in dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTE-017 View Post
I have an AU111 XR8 manual 220,000K's. When my car is turned off and key removed from ignition, a red hand flashes in the dashboard and the interior light stays on. That light does not "fade" off as per usual. In addition, the ignition key courtesy light remains on when the ignition key is removed.

Have disconnected the negative lead from the battery overnight however interior light condition remains the same but the ignition key courtesy light now "fades" off as it should.

The car starts and drives ok - no problems and the flashing hand ceases to flash when accessories are engaged and the car is started. Have tried the second ignition key to no avail.

Any ideas on what's going on? Cheers
Does the interior light stay on when the car is started?

I'm gong to assume that you have the light turned off at the headlight switch. Sounds silly I know but...

The flashing hand is the smartshield.

Do all of the doors lock? Have you checked that they are all locked when you lock the car?
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
YTE-017

Default Re: AU111 XR8 Red hand flashing light in dash

Thanks PG2 for your note.

Understand your "you have the light turned off at the headlight switch". It's a bit like "is it turned on at the switch?

Interior light turns off when ignition engaged and car started. Just jumped into the old girl (she's a bit of a garage queen at the moment) and now the interior light as well as the ignition courtesy light turn off.

Thanks for the advise on the smartshield. I couldn't find any info on what it was in the Ford books or on the net. I thought it might have been but you've confirmed it - thanks.

All doors lock when it's locked.

You know what I think it might be is with the wet weather we've had and with the Canberra - Gosford return drive last week when it poured rain, I suspect some moisture has found its way into the electrics and caused these issues.

At the moment I can't get the sunroof to close from position 1. It's just developed after the light issue went away however with the car in the garage that's not a real problem.

I suspect it's a button press issue which should be resolved with a battery disconnect and reset.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. As said, I suspect as things dry out all will come good.

Cheers,

Jim
YTE-017 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post