Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-10-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
Sfds
Starter Motor

Default AU Low Coolant Light - Not Sensor Problem

Hi. I’ve checked past threads and I can’t seem to find this exact question having been asked. Apologies if it doesn’t warrant a new thread. I’ve an AU3 XR8 ute and the low coolant light is constantly on. Solid red light comes on about 10 seconds after starting. I’ve bought 3 sensors and checked each before fitting. All are OK, but the light still triggers. All 3 can’t be bad - especially as I “pre-checked” them. When I connect the sensor, but don’t have it installed in the tank, I can open and close the float with my hand and the light will correspondingly come on and go off, as expected. This tells me when I fit the sensor in the tank full of coolant, the light should not show. It might take a few seconds longer, but the light still comes on! Why does the light go on when I’ve checked that the sensor, float and wiring work as they should? I was wondering if I have a slightly warped tank as the sensors look to always sit as a very slight angle. (To me the slight angle seems far too small to make any difference.) I’m wondering if this causes some interference for the float against some internal plastic. Would anyone have an idea. I know I can zip tie the float to the sensor to make it work, but this defeats the purpose. I’m about to buy another Dayco header tank (same part as currently installed DET0002), but in case it’s obvious to someone that it’s something else, I thought I’d try here. Thanks for your suggestions. Cheers
Sfds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2022, 10:18 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: AU Low Coolant Light - Not Sensor Problem

Wiggle the senor wires with ignition on; the copper strands of the wires sometimes break inside the insulation especially at or near the connector near the reservoir.
Old 22-10-2022, 12:02 AM   #3
Sfds
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU Low Coolant Light - Not Sensor Problem

Thanks for the reply. I did try that, but no luck unfortunately. I tried 3 sensors and I could get each to turn off the light when I closed the float with my hand while being attached to the connector at the other end, so I assume the wires are OK. When I install the sensor within the header tank, the light still comes on. It doesn’t make sense to me. I’m wondering if something is obstructing the float from closing? I’m clueless, but I appreciate your reply as I’ve been caught by bad connections with wiring in the past. Cheers
Old 22-10-2022, 04:43 PM   #4
Sfds
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU Low Coolant Light - Not Sensor Problem (SOLVED)

Thanks to those who took a look at this thread. I’ve done some more work this morning and found the problem. It’s the Dayco tank. There’s a manufacturing fault with it; a thin protruding seam of plastic lines the side of the “sensor chamber” and prevents the float from lifting. I poked my finger in the sensor hole of a genuine Ford header tank I got with one of the sensors. The sides were smooth … no interference for the float at all. By comparison, the Dayco DET0002 tank had a plastic protrusion that got in the way of the float doing its job. As best I could, I bent the seam down with my fingers. The sensor then worked instantly when I started the car. The warning light was off! Over time, I’m wondering if the plastic seam fault will move back to where it was and this time prevent the float from lowering if there’s a loss of coolant! I’ve had good stuff from Dayco in the past, but I’m disappointed in this header tank. This has cost me a bit in time and money, but the job’s now done.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2022, 07:49 PM   #5
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: AU Low Coolant Light - Not Sensor Problem (SOLVED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfds View Post
Thanks to those who took a look at this thread. I’ve done some more work this morning and found the problem. It’s the Dayco tank. There’s a manufacturing fault with it; a thin protruding seam of plastic lines the side of the “sensor chamber” and prevents the float from lifting. I poked my finger in the sensor hole of a genuine Ford header tank I got with one of the sensors. The sides were smooth … no interference for the float at all. By comparison, the Dayco DET0002 tank had a plastic protrusion that got in the way of the float doing its job. As best I could, I bent the seam down with my fingers. The sensor then worked instantly when I started the car. The warning light was off! Over time, I’m wondering if the plastic seam fault will move back to where it was and this time prevent the float from lowering if there’s a loss of coolant! I’ve had good stuff from Dayco in the past, but I’m disappointed in this header tank. This has cost me a bit in time and money, but the job’s now done.

i did wonder if there was something 'blocking' it ........ but i wasn't sure so i said nothing
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post