Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Default "Open Road"article on demise of ford..

..& holden in aus.

Had a quick read & was surprised to see them actually saying that the falcon & bommadore are as good as anything imported (& actually seemed to rate the ford over the holden).

Anyone else read it?

The first paragraph basically says it all -why do people need huge awd vehicles to go shopping or take the kids to school in urban australia?

hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Re: "Open Road"article on demise of ford..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl

The first paragraph basically says it all -why do people need huge awd vehicles to go shopping or take the kids to school in urban australia?
Why not...... who's bussiness is it anyway what people decide to buy with their own money.
Those that want to know the answer to that question... ask yourself this, what do you like to do on the weekend's to escape the hussle and bussle of urban life with your family ?.
Because it is those family people that are buying these AWD vehicles.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m guessing they are talking more so about the big sedans of falcon and holden?
the first sentence that our local cars are as good as anything over sea`s, that is my view also! in some ways they are way better imo, the biggest problem for our locals is they cannot build them cheap enough in our economic climate with huge flood of imports coming into the country, but that will change as our manufacturing ceases to exist and all supplies come from other countries.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm a dying breed!! I still love my big sedans!! well if i cant ever own a brand new big australian sedan new, i just hope if i ever afford too buy a new car that it will be australian made. i'd love too help by buying a brand new falcon (even the territory looks great even thou i'm not much of an suv person). just cant afford it. shame too. i mite be biased here but i think australian made cars are the best looking cars made!!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Also, why do we buy large TVs when a smaller one still gives the same picture??
Choice.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
ohzone
Dent Removal

Open Road Magazine
Article quoted
http://nrmaopenroad.oomphhq.com/?iid=67485#folio=32
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
what do you like to do on the weekend's to escape the hussle and bussle of urban life with your family ?.
Because it is those family people that are buying these AWD vehicles.
Sadly, every person I know with an AWD or a 4WD would never consider taking it further than Leura, and most definitely not on dirt / gravel.
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Sadly, every person I know with an AWD or a 4WD would never consider taking it further than Leura, and most definitely not on dirt / gravel.
Its exactly the same in WA. The only dirt 85% of private 4WD and soft roader vehicles see is from the kids muddy school shoes or footy boots and maccas wrappers.

We do minesite 4WD training. On any given day we have anywhere between 5 and 10 privately owned 4WD's in the carpark and you would be amazed how many openely admit they never take them off bitumen. Worse still the number who have no idea how to put them in 4WD. Its the same at our Queensland site.
Old 15-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The higher seating position in SUVs and Crossovers gives the driver a better view of traffic conditions,
something that benefits a lot of women who previously fell intimidated and bullied when driving smaller sedans and hatches......
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
BHDOGS
Banned

The reason is simple because they want to there's no reason or idea behind it people are just stupid and do things for stupid reasons it's why the earth is ****** Just watch Americas got talent and not Americas got decent school jobs health care education banking system or government people don't care about be details just what every other stupid person is doing and that's what there doing buying SUVs in droves
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
bmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The higher seating position in SUVs and Crossovers gives the driver a better view of traffic conditions,
something that benefits a lot of women who previously fell intimidated and bullied when driving smaller sedans and hatches......
2nd this point

I think this had a lot more to do with families choosing AWD vehicles over the falcon then anything else
Old 15-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
That cant be terribly helpful now that every second vehicle on the road is now an SUV....

Actually annoys the hell out of me being a large sedan driver.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also they keep telling us that we have more old population than young, i`m a sedan bloke myself, but also in the old fart bracket, i can say in no uncertain terms as the bones get a bit tired and a bit of arthritis shows it`s ugly head, it is much easier to get into a higher vehicle(SUV/4WD) than a sedan,
a territory will be on my shopping list in the not to distant future even though i love my falcon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #14
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Choice.
Some of us have OLDER eyes .
Old 16-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
Cambo351
Jag built with Ford money

Quote:
...surprised to see them actually saying that the falcon & bommadore are as good as anything imported....
Huh? What? Imported from where?

Compare a Falcon or Commodore against;

BMW 5-series
Audi 4 or 6-series
Mercedes C Class
Volkswagen Passat
Jaguar XF

Or against the Japanese/Korean manufacturers?
Old 16-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart
That cant be terribly helpful now that every second vehicle on the road is now an SUV....
It levels the playing field by ensuring better vision of the traffic even though there are more higher vehicles these days.
This better higher view of the traffic conditions is gaining momentum over big sedans, most people who buy SUVs & CUVs
couldn't care less about performance/handling, their priorities are utility, higher seating position and most likely a diesel,
three main areas where big sedans really fail these days and why IMO, they are going out backwards...

Quote:
Actually annoys the hell out of me being a large sedan driver.
Especially when you're parked between two big SUV/4x4s and you can't see to reverse out...

Last edited by jpd80; 16-09-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 16-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo351
Huh? What? Imported from where?

Compare a Falcon or Commodore against;

BMW 5-series
Audi 4 or 6-series
Mercedes C Class
Volkswagen Passat
Jaguar XF

Or against the Japanese/Korean manufacturers?
I think you took the answer too literally, How about we stick to large sedans in their price range $40K to $60K...
There isn't too much from the first list of manufacturers that would fit that criteria...maybe the pi55ant but that's about it..

And you haven't lived until you receive a $1500 bill for a basic service..
Old 16-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love big rear wheel drive sedans, the problem is that the quality is pretty ordinary, and the market is heading elseware now :o(

I've had new falcons and wouldn't put my self through the pain of taking them back again and again for the same problem, the last car I took back once after that I said stuff it and paid the local bloke to fix it, he thought I was crazy, but I explained to him it costs me more to take it back than it does to pay him an hourly rate to fix it right the first time.

(I am betting to a point)

So what this means is Joe car buyer is tired of the pore quality and after sales service and finds an alternative, after a while he realises that this smaller import or Korean SUV isn't that bad and is actually pretty good so doesn't bother getting a price on a new Falcodoor and the sales trend continues.

It's a shame because once the bugs are sorted they are a great car to drive.

The other problem as I see it is the majority of new car drivers don't drive they steer, and they are more concerned with iPod connectivity and 27 zone climate control in the base model than they are in road feel driving comfort etc. One thing that really made me laugh the other day was my brother inlaw who referred to the leather "chair's" in his new car, I asked if he had the all AWD or RWD version, he wasn't sure and had to ask his wife. But it did connect via Bluetooth to his I phone for music. I thought hmmmm and this is why the Australian built new car market is screwed :(

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Known as tar turkeys, they own an AWD / big 4WD and never take it off the tar
Quote:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
There are also a lot of people that have nice looking fancy sedan's such as BMW's/Audi/HSV/FPV etc etc that never use them for their intended purpose either, how many of those vehicles in the big smoke actually see a race/drag track.
Sadly alot of those owner's are more then likely on this site and complain about those same driver's in SUV's in the city but yet fail to ask themselves, why do they need a high powered vehicle in the city ?.
It goes both way's.
Old 16-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
Known as tar turkeys, they own an AWD / big 4WD and never take it off the tar
Or known as a "hoon" drives a high powered vehicle....

Nothing like stereotyping people or tall poppy syndrome around here is there.
Old 16-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
Jeddak
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
also they keep telling us that we have more old population than young, i`m a sedan bloke myself, but also in the old fart bracket, i can say in no uncertain terms as the bones get a bit tired and a bit of arthritis shows it`s ugly head, it is much easier to get into a higher vehicle(SUV/4WD) than a sedan,
a territory will be on my shopping list in the not to distant future even though i love my falcon.
I will back this too..
we sold a perfectly good Falcon sedan that was in good order though old(EA)
for the more upright seating of the Territory.
after buying it we also found that there is more storage space in the Territory due to its more upright design so a benefit when we go shopping
the only disadvantage is the seat to ground height.
the SWMBO has short legs y'see..
O5 / 05 SX TS RWD Winter White, Driving Lights, Flaps, Racks, Turbo Grille, Ghia Bumper Trims and tailgate chrome , Colour Coded Mirrors,Tint,h/d towbar and chrome tow ball ,Sy chrome Beltline molds , leather and chrome shifter and Ghia Leather bound steering wheel
Stainless steel number plate frames and shifter quadrant, leather arm rest
All reconditioned SZ front suspension now in place
Chrome door pull inserts with chrome inner latch handles done
Jeddak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
My parents have had new Falcons from the XP onwards and mostly wagons. It's been new Terry's since 2008 and the ease of entry/hip point of the Terry (and similar vehiles) is perfect for them. And my wife "feels safer" because of the Terry increased ride height and hence why its coming soon.

And to be frank, apart from performance compared to the FG, in suburban settings the Terry matches or offers more apart from adjustable pedals, 8 way sets and dropping LHS mirror in reverse (edit to Ford: how can a Titanium not have these as they help everytime I drive it?)

Last edited by Dr Smith; 16-09-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT
Its exactly the same in WA. The only dirt 85% of private 4WD and soft roader vehicles see is from the kids muddy school shoes or footy boots and maccas wrappers.

We do minesite 4WD training. On any given day we have anywhere between 5 and 10 privately owned 4WD's in the carpark and you would be amazed how many openely admit they never take them off bitumen. Worse still the number who have no idea how to put them in 4WD. Its the same at our Queensland site.
A lot of those SUVs and Crossovers are under finance, insurance does not cover off road excursions..
Most people get them either as a salary package or to do soft roader work, Ford NA was so surprised
at how many Explorers never left the black top that they changed to unitary and FWD/AWD.
People are using these vehicles as urban tractors to get a good look at the traffic in peak hour
instead of being stuck in a little bitty Fiesta or a Yaris and being monstored by everyone else..
Old 16-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
And you haven't lived until you receive a $1500 bill for a basic service..
I heard about a guy that bought an Audi Q& V12. 1st service was a cool $2500. When he queried why so much he go a bit of "if you can afford the car, you can afford the service" attitude.

A little of topic, but worth sharing.
Old 16-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely the authors have answered their own questions when at the end they write:
Quote:
The entry level Omega is definately just that, though. The interior plastics feel harsh and the lack of standard equipment, especially at an entry price of $39,990, is glaring. When rivals from Korea and Japan - and even domestic rivals like Toyota.
If the entry level cars are crap, and the makers are continually telling everyone how they cant compete with imports, then why would anyone think that the local makers are building quality into the car.

No one in their right mind goes and spends $40,000 on a product where the Managing Director of the selling company is continually indicating that shortcuts have to be made to compete with imports.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #27
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those who want to read the article themselves
http://nrmaopenroad.oomphhq.com/?iid=67485#folio=32
"A large AWD wagon seemingly makes little sense in the modern australian idiom"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Choice.
yeah, but do you need a 72" tv in your caravan? no, it doesn't fit the purpose, which is the point Hawk was making.
I think the "4wd off roaders" are just too car like now to really make a difference. it's not like the old days when they were more truck-like and utilitarian. They are just big cars with high suspension.
Old 17-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
redman

Quote:
Especially when you're parked between two big SUV/4x4s and you can't see to reverse out...
Not a problem with the FG G6E - the reverse camera is very handy for just this situation.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we've debated this topic 100 times now, in 100 different threads.

Why are people looking else where?

Simple, it's not 1995 anymore. There's other players in the game now, and some of them are perceived to make better vehicles, with better build quality, better fuel economy, with better options and at better prices.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Misleading thread title is misleading...

But on SUV's....

SUV's are good for mums and dads, as the seats are at a better height so you arn't bending over to buckle up the kiddos...

Same with Prams etc, much easier to drag a pram out of the back of a SUV then lift it out of a boot...

I don't see how its so hard for people to understand SUV buying...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/

Last edited by Nikked; 17-09-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Thought I'd elaborate
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post