Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation QLD Rego Going up July 1 2013 if paid by Credit Card

MOTORISTS promised a freeze on private car registration fees by the Newman Government will face an increase from next July if they pay with a credit card.

State Budget papers show Transport and Main Roads will start passing on merchant fees charged by banks from July 1, in order to raise $10.5 million in revenue during the next three years.

The fees will also apply to other TMR transactions, including driver licences, traffic fines, driving exams and boat registration.

The charge means motorists will pay between $5.25 and $13.60 more for the registration of a four-cylinder vehicle, from $6.57 to $17 extra to register a six-cylinder car, and from $8 to $20.70 extra for an eight-cylinder car.

Merchant fees charged by banks on credit card transactions range from 0.81 per cent to 2.1 per cent.

A spokesman for Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the charge was about "cost recovery".

"The charge does not apply when paying by cash, cheque or debit card through Australia Post or a Customer Service Centre, or via BPAY," he said.

But Paul Turner, from peak motoring group RACQ, questioned why the Government was counting on the measure to raise $3.5 million a year if it was simply "covering charges".

"While we welcome the registration freeze (for private vehicles), the basic fact is Queensland motorists still pay more than any other state to drive a car," Mr Turner said.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226476088207

Old 18-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD Rego Going up July 1 2013 if paid by Credit Card

Yay, everyone pushes for a cashless society and then slug people fees for card transactions ........

Good ole revenue raising, so the government sacking 1400 workers isnt enuf for them to raise more $$$ for those who make the books look good ...

I wanna see some of those rule makers paying for their own cars , own fuel and own rego,instead of government cars, government drivers and fuel paid by the tax payer, maybe then they mite take it a bit easy on the motorist
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

So dont use a card.

If you want to collect points pay the difference. Australia is only catching up with the rest of the world in CC recovery charges. The have got most people hooked on reward schemes now so it's time to charge.

At least the option for cash is still there unlike BNE toll roads.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Whats rubbish is how we get slugged using our debit visa...jeez it poo's me off!

Dont even get me started on airlines charging per person...per leg! All on the same transaction...bah
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

political rants... edited because I don't like being banned
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Whats rubbish is how we get slugged using our debit visa...jeez it poo's me off!

Dont even get me started on airlines charging per person...per leg! All on the same transaction...bah
I think booking through flight centre online they just charge a fee on the whole transaction, not individually.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I think booking through flight centre online they just charge a fee on the whole transaction, not individually.
Nah Jetstar..I never book through webjet, I just use their website

$24 in credit card charges for a $380 flight...seriously is costs them that much per transaction?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 19-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Good ole revenue raising, so the government sacking 1400 workers isnt enuf for them to raise more $$$ for those who make the books look good ...
this has little to do with the govt and more to do with greedy banks.
Old 19-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
MOTORISTS promised a freeze on private car registration fees by the Newman Government will face an increase from next July if they pay with a credit card.

State Budget papers show Transport and Main Roads will start passing on merchant fees charged by banks from July 1, in order to raise $10.5 million in revenue during the next three years.

The fees will also apply to other TMR transactions, including driver licences, traffic fines, driving exams and boat registration.

The charge means motorists will pay between $5.25 and $13.60 more for the registration of a four-cylinder vehicle, from $6.57 to $17 extra to register a six-cylinder car, and from $8 to $20.70 extra for an eight-cylinder car.

Merchant fees charged by banks on credit card transactions range from 0.81 per cent to 2.1 per cent.

A spokesman for Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the charge was about "cost recovery".

"The charge does not apply when paying by cash, cheque or debit card through Australia Post or a Customer Service Centre, or via BPAY," he said.

But Paul Turner, from peak motoring group RACQ, questioned why the Government was counting on the measure to raise $3.5 million a year if it was simply "covering charges".

"While we welcome the registration freeze (for private vehicles), the basic fact is Queensland motorists still pay more than any other state to drive a car," Mr Turner said.
Forum ranting 1:01

Under no circumstances read and comprehend the original post before going off like a pork chop in the sun.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

So when you use your debit card that has the credit function attached does it still incur the charge? Seems to with airlines.

Yet I stuff about with direct deposits and skip all fees..
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 19-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So when you use your debit card that has the credit function attached does it still incur the charge? Seems to with airlines.

Yet I stuff about with direct deposits and skip all fees..
Debit cards do not have a credit function, that is why they are called debit cards.

Some credit cards have the ability to use your own funds rather than credit from the bank which does not attract the same merchant fees.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually most do these days eg Visa Debit
Old 19-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8

So in essence here's what you can do to avoid the credit card fees.

1. Don't ****in use it to pay the bill.
2. Log on to your internet banking and use BPay
3. Get your fat lazy **** to the Post Office.

Simple. No use whinging about it when you have options available.
Old 19-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke
Actually most do these days eg Visa Debit

I have a Visa debit card linked to my normal account... somehow though my orginal Debit card still works, as well as the VISA card on the same account and i can overdraw a certain amount if i run out of funds, but never bothered with the fine print!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
So in essence here's what you can do to avoid the credit card fees.

1. Don't ****in use it to pay the bill.
2. Log on to your internet banking and use BPay
3. Get your fat lazy **** to the Post Office.

Simple. No use whinging about it when you have options available.
Or 4. Dont pay your rego :-P
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
Or 4. Dont pay your rego :-P
Lol... well played sir.