Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 
Default How do people finance 70,000 odd $$ to purchase a new car

Ok this is going to seem like a stupid question, but how do some of you guys go about getting finance for a new car?

Im looking at getting a second hand FG 335 GTP in white with a six spees manual, but im looking at the financial aspect and i cant understand how i can get such a loan with any real assests. I hoping someone can advise me on if my financial position looks good from a banks view. I dont want to go for a loan if im going to get knocked back.

I currently have a 6speed manual 2005 ba xr8 which i could sell privately for around $18,000 and my really my only other assests of any value is approx $10,000 in tool/toolbox.
I also earn $630 a week after tax (auto elec same employer for 5 years) with $200 a week going towards a personal loan of $27000 over the next 5 years (car and medical bill)
Ive got no rent to pay as im at home looking after my sick father and i have a perfect credit rating (one credit card thats emergencys only and two previous loans payeed of well before that were due)

My xr8 is getting a bit on and want something with bigger balls, more stopping power and more modern, i feel i can afford to buy a FG but what do you guys think? Will the bank be in my favour? Im told by people i work with that i may not earn enough?

Old 26-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: How do people finance 70,000 odd $$ to purchase a new car

mate, please don't do it, cars are money pits.

IMO your finances look like a train wreck about to happen....
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
FALCONXTV8
JUST CRUIZEN

To be honest I wouldn't think you would be able to get that big a loan based on your income and assets.

For example: for a 60k loan over 5yrs at 8% you will be looking at over $1200 a month, When you factor in other costs such as rego, fuel, insurance plus your other expenses it just doesn't add up unfortunately.

Maybe wait a bit longer until 335 prices drop.

2012 KIA OPTIMA PLATINUM for the wife
FALCONXTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

the repayments on a 50k+ vehicle will be crippling.

I don't think the numbers will stack up in your current situation.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I think you should look into buying a property before spending that much money on a car. If you already had a house with $100k equity, I would have said if you really want a 335 then go for it, but looking at your post, I think you should have other priorities than a flashy car. No offence.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO drive the XR8 till the wheels fall off and save the cash to buy a house or something that you can make money off.
Old 26-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARATE
Ok this is going to seem like a stupid question, but how do some of you guys go about getting finance for a new car?

Im looking at getting a second hand FG 335 GTP in white with a six spees manual, but im looking at the financial aspect and i cant understand how i can get such a loan with any real assests. I hoping someone can advise me on if my financial position looks good from a banks view. I dont want to go for a loan if im going to get knocked back.

I currently have a 6speed manual 2005 ba xr8 which i could sell privately for around $18,000 and my really my only other assests of any value is approx $10,000 in tool/toolbox.
I also earn $630 a week after tax (auto elec same employer for 5 years) with $200 a week going towards a personal loan of $27000 over the next 5 years (car and medical bill)
Ive got no rent to pay as im at home looking after my sick father and i have a perfect credit rating (one credit card thats emergencys only and two previous loans payeed of well before that were due)

My xr8 is getting a bit on and want something with bigger balls, more stopping power and more modern, i feel i can afford to buy a FG but what do you guys think? Will the bank be in my favour? Im told by people i work with that i may not earn enough?
You cannot afford it. The monthly payments will be more than you earn.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

If I were in your position I'd take out a more reasonable $25k for a used FG XR6 Turbo.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONXTV8
To be honest I wouldn't think you would be able to get that big a loan based on your income and assets.

For example: for a 60k loan over 5yrs at 8% you will be looking at over $1200 a month, When you factor in other costs such as rego, fuel, insurance plus your other expenses it just doesn't add up unfortunately.

Maybe wait a bit longer until 335 prices drop.
That's the real killer... planning out something that you can seem to afford... but then with all that other stuff you need, it's not such a pretty situation.

I'm having to live with less after buying my car. And the adjustment isn't fun, in fact it sucks having to be sensible.
Old 27-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Awesome, thanks for the replys guys. I had the idea that my income was probably a bit low but i wasnt sure how low as ive never seen the figure for a large loan and the required income.
Im glad theres people here that talk sense (im only young i need all the advice i can get lol)
Ugg my finances at the moment are fine. Ive got a homelian savings accound thats not accessable untill a set amount is reached and im pauing off my current loan alot quicker than need be and im still very comfortable at the end of each week.

The question stands though. How do you guys do it? Im a qualified auto elec which is ment to be a well paying job?
Old 27-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
If I were in your position I'd take out a more reasonable $25k for a used FG XR6 Turbo.
Or just keep the XR8 and pay off the $27,000 he already owes before getting another loan.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

Mate never take a loan for any kind of depreciating asset.

Your young right save your hard earned cash , set yourself a simple savings plan ie auto debit into a high yield account and then place that cash towards property as an investment.

Because In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the 335.

The average weekly income is now around 1000 bucks so 630 after tax your a little ways off my friend , and no way am I putting u down just facts. More OT required if you want this 335.
Old 27-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
nstg8a

I would have thought an auto sparky would earn more than that, I earn more driving a forklift all day.

I'd agree with the above, smash your existing loan first, then worry about a new ride.

Selling a ba xr8 for top dollar won't be easy these days, might as well enjoy it and drive it till it dies.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Selling the xr8 and getting a 25k turbo would leave me with around a $35,000 loan, proabably doable but i dont want a 6cyl lol
Old 27-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #15
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Selling the xr8 and getting a 25k turbo would leave me with around a $35,000 loan, proabably doable but i dont want a 6cyl lol
Unless there is a reason beyond "I want a newer one" for selling the XR8, hold onto it and pay down that loan, you will be able to save much more quickly without its high interest rates eating away at your income.

Remember that a $27,000 loan is actually more like a $40-50,000 loan once you take interest into account.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Keep the XR8.

My motto with buying cars: If I cant pay cash for it, I cant afford it.

Loans for cars are money pits, as mentioned above. I've never taken a loan out for a car, besides I've never leased one either, in about 40 years and buying about 5 new cars plus second hand ones over that time.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #17
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

I'll say don't do it as well.
Repayments will be huge, the interest will be huge, and it just won't be worth it in the end.
If something went wrong, bye-bye everything. It's a huge risk.

Seen and heard of people do similar things over and over before, sometimes they are lucky, often not.

This is why I always say: Don't buy anything unless you HAVE the money NOW or are CERTAIN (with no risk of something not working out) you will have it soon.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #18
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try this instead:
http://www.herrodmotorsport.com.au/H...8/Default.aspx
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #19
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

borrrowing that much for a car would scare me.

it sucks but if you want a new GTP then you had better start looking for a job in the mines or big industry. shop wages dont stretch that far.

thats why i`m still driving my 9 year old Egas BA ute.
concentrate on paying off that $27000 as quick as you can and maintain your XR8 and it will serve you well.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #20
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep your car and save your money mate when your debut free keep saving and buy a house first cars are a waste of money .
Old 27-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #21
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Wooh man, first thing I would be doing is asking for a pay rise and then maybe look at getting another job. And the way you get a loan without assets is called an unsecured loan where the vehicle becomes your security, but it is owned by the finance company till the loan is payed.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 04:15 AM   #22
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the replys guys. I had the idea that my income was probably a bit low but i wasnt sure how low as ive never seen the figure for a large loan and the required income.
Im glad theres people here that talk sense (im only young i need all the advice i can get lol)
Ugg my finances at the moment are fine. Ive got a homelian savings accound thats not accessable untill a set amount is reached and im pauing off my current loan a lot quicker than need be and im still very comfortable at the end of each week.

The question stands though. How do you guys do it? Im a qualified auto elec which is ment to be a well paying job?
Your mistakes are....

(a) you run a V8, you can't afford to run it on your pay...get rid of it, downsize
(b) I bet you can't afford to insure it at your age
(c) you should be saving every cent cause worse times ahead..seriously
(d) you'll wake up soon and realize you're 30 years old and just have a car..nothing else

If you want it all up front then most of your adult life will be spent in catch up mode...just as you finish paying that V8 off it will be a pile of crap with a zillion k's on the clock and you need to borrow for another one...and spend a lot of your pay in interest all your life.

Save up and pay cash!
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #23
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Well, seeing as everyone else is lining up to shoot your dreams down I'll get in line and have a go as well.

Quote:
Ive got no rent to pay as im at home looking after my sick father
This bit got my attention. Your living costs are very low now, but you're looking at a five year deal with the finance. What happens if/when your living costs increase? Which they will...

You meet a girl... want to shack up with her...

You and your father have some big argument and you both need breathing space for a few months...

Your father passes away and you have to find other accommodation as the house gets sold...

Your father gets worse, goes into hospital long term and the house needs to be rented out at full market value to pay for medical expenses.

Sorry for the negative suggestions. But, not considering possible negative outcomes is what gets people into a heap of grief when there's finance involved.

If you really need a stepping stone then consider a BF XR6 Turbo.

Alternatively, save up cash and buy things secondhand as they come up and do your car up. Wheels, brakes, interior stuff, engine stuff, etc, always come up for sale on these forums at good prices. You could throw five grand at it that you'll never get back, but that's still less than the 20 grand that you'll throw away in interest and depreciation costs on a financed car.

Meanwhile, one Powerball...
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #24
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

It's all about priorities and delayed gratification.

Repay your debts.

Save some money for a decent deposit.

Buy a home. Sooner rather than later.

Then when you can, treat yourself to that flash car.

No point having 1-25 cars if they are parked at your parents or landlords house.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #25
ovaxitd

or more sensible again if your over the xr8 sell it and buy a cheap runner- less servicing, dropsyour loan from 27 to 10, pay less intrest which gets it paid off even quicker again.
have no loan debt and can start saving quicker.. a ***** load quicker... yes you might not have a toy for a while but its the long term you gotta look at.

most people on here have at one stage had to sit tight and deal with what they had- i myself had a septic that was needed more than a car, 3 years later i could get a nice car- but now i need to start building a house so its going to get sold again as you gotta focus on priorities

once i have a house paid for in cash then its toys time again

sometimes you gotta make sacrifices ;)

best of luck

2010 Sunburst XR6T 50th Ute- Stock for now
2010 Winter White G6ET 13.01 @107.91 2.055 60'- Stock -SOLD
ovaxitd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #26
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate hit your boss for a pay rise, buy a house. You will be looking at least $500 a week for a house around $350k (which won't get you much of a house anymore lol). In 5 years time if your doing good financially then look at buying a newer car
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Unless you can afford to pay cash for a new GT, don't even entertain any thoughts of finance.
Not only does it lose value every year but you're stuck paying interest on those losses.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #28
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could get hit by a bus tomorrow, do what makes you happy, life is too short
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #29
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cash is the only way to go,my motto is anyone can afford the first repayment to drive around in a new car but its being able to afford the last that counts.people getting their capabilities mixed up with their possibilities
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #30
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Keep the XR8.
My motto with buying cars: If I cant pay cash for it, I cant afford it...
+1
Just pay off your current loan ASAP would be my advice.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post