Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Toyota Camry, the new Volvo drivers?

Driving to work this morning, the cars in front of me were going slower than required, then we stopped at a round-about about while all the cars traveling the opposite direction kept moving freely.

Wondering why we were stopped, when there was a clear road in front, I saw the second car in front was a Toyota Camry with a white hat on the back window shelf (no joke, a white bowls hat). The driver just waited at the round about, he had the right of way the whole time.

The car in front of me blasted the horn & the Camry driver waved his arm in anger, as if to say "what?" And drove off as if he was goig to a funeral.

So has the day of the"Bloody Volvo driver" been replaced by "Bloody Camry driver"?

EDIT: forgot to mention, aqfter that I started to recall other incidents involving Camry drivers :

especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk

Last edited by johnydep; 28-06-2007 at 10:26 AM.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not just Camry drivers, but Magna drivers too, seems that since the cost of a new Volvo now days is out of reach of the average cardigan wearing, lawn bowling retired school teacher type they've shifted their loyalty.
All views mentioned are personal views & I accept all responsibility.
Old 28-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
BlackLS

Gone are the days of a slow Volvo driver, most new model Volvos I see now fly past me at 120kmh on the freeway with some senior exec on the way to a meeting or something.

Every day Camrys get more and more slower and erratic, such as turning left from the right over 3 lanes into a side street.

I make a note to avoid driving near Camrys.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or it could just be the fact that you see more of them as they are the best mid size selling car in Australia, therefore you'll tend to notice them more than other cars.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
or it could just be the fact that you see more of them as they are the best mid size selling car in Australia, therefore you'll tend to notice them more than other cars.
Then why doesn't the Holden Commodore come into the equation?

Old 28-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Oh God have you touched on something so prevailant today. What about the Camry drivers who do 35-40km/h in a 50 zone, indicate when going straight on a roundabout, refuse to enter onto an intersection when turning right unless they have a green arrow, brake whenever they see a car coming in the opposite direction etc. I hate them so much, they do nothing but create traffic snarls and frustrate other motorists. I think Howard should introduce a law that requires all Toyota dealers to tell customers; "You'll be annoying the crap out of every other motorist in no time." Give me volvo any day, for the camry's are the favourite of older indians, asians and old folk.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Bogans dont play lawn bowls
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxb
Ha ha ha ha ha.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 28-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
because the Holden Commodore is not a medium sized car.
Old 28-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
because the Holden Commodore is not a mid sized car.
Wasn't the whole camry/aurion thing about putting Toyota in the large car segment?
They're a pretty big mid size car, they have the same capacity as a holden or ford and are of very similar dimensions.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 28-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So has the day of the"Bloody Volvo driver" been replaced by "Bloody Camry driver"?

EDIT: forgot to mention, aqfter that I started to recall other incidents involving Camry drivers :
Thats it he straw that broke the camels back, selling the camry, need to buy some old school muscle for the good lady to drive around in.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Wasn't the whole camry/aurion thing about putting Toyota in the large car segment?
They're a pretty big mid size car, they have the same capacity as a holden or ford and are of very similar dimensions.
it was. just like the whole avalon thing... but they can never quite compare themselves to full size rear wheel drive cars, can they?

so my point is... well, i don't have one, just like this whole thread.
Old 28-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Nah, the point still is have Camry's taken over the role of most annoying car on the road, driven by seemingly the most inexperienced drivers out there? I would prffer that indeed they have not only met the criteria of yesteryears volvo driver; they have run rings around it. I hate Camry drivers.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 28-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ooohhh another Camry complaint thread. You guys complain like a bunch of cardigan wearers yourselves :P

For reference, I provide the links to the threads already on this "I hate Camrys and their old geezer owners" topic:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=90203
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=87576
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=54108
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=10331
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=15295
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=82295
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=75166
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=73647

Should the "Camry drivers and their Camrys" debate wane, I suggest general whitegoods on wheels complaints could be aimed towards the Aurion (although there are quite a number of I hate Aurion threads that I choose not to include in the above list of links).

Failing that, we can move to the Magna/380 combo then start moving through the Hondas, then the Subarus, then the Mazdas.

Let's face it - the Camry is a boring conservative car, which appeals to fleets for economy, reliability and resale, and appeals to private buyers probably for the same reason. It's a soul-less vehicle. But does it deserve this much attention on FFAU? It's not even a direct competitor - even the boys over at LS1 and AMC don't seem to keep on with the Camry driver threads. Meanwhile, on FFAU it appears every 6 weeks or so!

Last edited by Dave_au; 28-06-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #15
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Ooohhh another Camry complaint thread. You guys complain like a bunch of cardigan wearers yourselves :P
As I've said before on one of these many threads Dave_au, these threads are an important crime prevention/road rage control measure. They enable people to let off steam through the internet rather than leaping out of their cars and putting an axe through the head of a Camry driver. So when the first news item appears about the murder of a Camry driver you can be sure the assailant won't be a Ford driver!

Come to think of it, I've noticed increasingly that right lane hoggers generally drive all sorts of Toyotas - this takes the pressure off Avalon/Camry drivers a bit.
Old 28-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

hey dave, dont pick on my subaru :P :

I have been shamed by a camry driver this morning. V6 sportivo it was and it killed me at the lights. then again I get killed at the lights all the time now. :(

But on the odd occasion there are some camry drivers out there that can put the foot down. Just not enough.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

For reference, I provide the links to the threads already on this "I hate Camrys and their old geezer owners" topic:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=90203
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=87576
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=54108
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=10331
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=15295
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=82295
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=75166
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=73647

Should the "Camry drivers and their Camrys" debate wane, I suggest general whitegoods on wheels complaints could be aimed towards the Aurion (although there are quite a number of I hate Aurion threads that I choose not to include in the above list of links).

Failing that, we can move to the Magna/380 combo then start moving through the Hondas, then the Subarus, then the Mazdas.

Let's face it - the Camry is a boring conservative car, which appeals to fleets for economy, reliability and resale, and appeals to private buyers probably for the same reason. It's a soul-less vehicle. But does it deserve this much attention on FFAU? It's not even a direct competitor - even the boys over at LS1 and AMC don't seem to keep on with the Camry driver threads. Meanwhile, on FFAU it appears every 6 weeks or so!
Haven't you just made a complaint? : :togo:

Old 28-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #18
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
JD we know it's all in fun, after all it was a camry driver that fixed the paint on the ford

PS i have a white bowls hat for sale as well :
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
hey dave, dont pick on my subaru :P :

I have been shamed by a camry driver this morning. V6 sportivo it was and it killed me at the lights. then again I get killed at the lights all the time now. :(

But on the odd occasion there are some camry drivers out there that can put the foot down. Just not enough.
LMAO :

I ******* hate (the majority of) Camry drivers! If you can't do the speed limit at least, get the **** off the road :jab:
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
LMAO :

I ******* hate (the majority of) Camry drivers! If you can't do the speed limit at least, get the **** off the road :jab:
Im glad you find it funny mate. At least you have boost. I got a right foot full of hot air and an auto slush box. :togo:

But agree with those that need to get into the left hand lane if someone behind wants to go faster. ;)

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #21
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey stop complaining about my complaining of complaints.

I call it complaining to the power of three. Complaining cubed.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #22
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got passed a few months ago by a Volvo driver doing approx. 120k's on the freeway with a Wipe off 5 sticker on the back and the sticker that states I support 50k zones

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I got passed a few months ago by a Volvo driver doing approx. 120k's on the freeway with a Wipe off 5 sticker on the back and the sticker that states I support 50k zones
Probably should have modified it to say "wipe out 5" and "I support doing 50k over the speed zones".
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #24
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Probably should have modified it to say "wipe out 5" and "I support doing 50k over the speed zones".
: : :
Legendary

But on the whole, Camry drivers do represent a large number of our ethnic friends and from personal experience, we know what great drivers they are.

Still, of recent times the driver who infuriated me recently was a man on a beat up early 80's Ford Laser. Constantly drove 10-20km under the limit and stayed in the right lane. He had no intention of turning off. If I could have, I would have lifted up his car and thrown it into the left lane with a, "That's where you should be. Learn your road rules!"

I was not a happy chappy.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #25
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxb
You need to watch Crackerjack then.
Old 28-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #26
Aeron
DJR Fan

Dont get me started on Camry drivers....

GRRRRRR!!!!!
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #27
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm reluctant to revive a Camry thread because the topic's well worked over but this one was so typical you have to wonder how the bloke still has a driving licence.

I was calling in at the fishmonger's today, involves turning off the highway into his driveway and then through to the carpark at the back (and then to an exit on a side street at the back of the carpark). The driveway has white diagonal cross-hatching lines and the words "no parking" painted on the pavement. So you can't stop there, you have to drive through to the carpark.

I start to turn off the highway into the driveway and find my way is blocked by a WHITE CAMRY parked diagonally between the white hatching lines right at the entrance of the driveway - as diagram below. He thinks the hatching is parking lines!!!!!!!!!! So there I am with my stuck out in the highway with speeding traffic bearing down on me and swerving to avoid me and I have nowhere to go.

After an excruciating couple of minutes this old geiser comes out with a bag of fish and (presumably) his grandsons (if he could work out how to breed to get grandsons) and gets in the Camry. Then he has trouble backing out because I'm behind him. So he gets closer and closer and I realise he's trying to get back out onto the highway (taking my front fender with him) instead of through the carpark. WTF : : :

So I politely tap the horn and make a very polite gesture and a few soft lilting words indicating in which direction he should proceed. Are these drvers retarded and how do they get to keep their licences? It's frightening to think these types are out in traffic with such a low level of awareness.

Last edited by new2ford; 09-10-2007 at 11:05 PM.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #28
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Pfft
Camry drivers, the natural born enemy to the urban SUV.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #29
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm no fan of SUVs, especially soccer mums.

But Camrys are the car that I wish to eliminate from the face of the Earth. Them, and Corollas. In fact, Toyota all round deserve a beating.

But I'll admit, their cars are reliable.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I'm no fan of SUVs, especially soccer mums.

But Camrys are the car that I wish to eliminate from the face of the Earth. Them, and Corollas. In fact, Toyota all round deserve a beating.

But I'll admit, their cars are reliable.

Unless driven hard...well in my case with the Camry.

But I want to add Echos/Yaris's to that list
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post