Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Common misconceptions

Figured it's about time to start a thread on this subject. The purpose of this thread is to clear up numerous widely believed misconceptions in the realm of automotive transport (more specifically cars).

I'll start off with a couple of easy and extremely common questions asked a lot on this forum:

1. Was there a Phase IV GTHO?

2. Is the correct title for the 19" dark accent wheels found on the F6/GS 'Dark Agent' or 'Dark Argent'?

Please feel free to answer these questions (provide proof if necessary) and add your own.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Common misconceptions relating to cars....

* From what I have been told, seating 6 in a car with 5 belts is legal, providing all other belts are used. (Say, 4 on the back seat, 2 at the front).

* Give way to all traffic on the right of the roundabout. The amount of people I drive with who still stop dead at the line to allow an approaching car on the right way is worrying. The 'first in, best dressed' law has been in for many, many years now.

I may be wrong on the first one, but pretty sure I'm right. Can't quote / reference it as I'm off to work.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
F6T
Has V8 envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Figured it's about time to start a thread on this subject. The purpose of this thread is to clear up numerous widely believed misconceptions in the realm of automotive transport (more specifically cars).

I'll start off with a couple of easy and extremely common questions asked a lot on this forum:

2. Is the correct title for the 19" dark accent wheels found on the F6/GS 'Dark Agent' or 'Dark Argent'?

Please feel free to answer these questions (provide proof if necessary) and add your own.
As to 1, yes there were four GTHO ph IV built. 1972 as XA's. Three for Bathurst and 1 for private sale.

As to 2, for the love of God, it is Dark ARGENT - argent being the French word for silver. They are a dark silver rim.

Good idea for a thread mate.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
Old 09-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST

I dont know what sorta misconception there is here??
Do you mean how many were built?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 09-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
As to 1, yes there were four GTHO ph IV built. 1972 as XA's. Three for Bathurst and 1 for private sale.

Good idea for a thread mate.
Actually there is only 1 Phase 4, its the only one with HO on the I.D tag. the other 3 that were built are only GT's.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
F6T
Has V8 envy

you see!!! common misconceptions...

Nizpro 4" exhaust
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

Old 09-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
* Give way to all traffic on the right of the roundabout. The amount of people I drive with who still stop dead at the line to allow an approaching car on the right way is worrying. The 'first in, best dressed' law has been in for many, many years now.
Unless your in victoria and the "traffic" approaching from the right is a tram, then you must give way.

There is an exception to everything ;-)
Old 09-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
yes there were four GTHO ph IV built. 1972 as XA's. Three for Bathurst and 1 for private sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I dont know what sorta misconception there is here??
Do you mean how many were built?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
Actually there is only 1 Phase 4, its the only one with HO on the I.D tag. the other 3 that were built are only GT's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
you see!!! common misconceptions...
Ha ha ha that is gold! Not a very good start! Let's try and make it that people only with traceable facts respond as it will only keep the misconceptions going otherwise. Can we sort out the XA Phase IV answer before we move on as well! I did have an AMC mag that documented this but I will need to find it somewhere, unless someone else beats me to it.

OK I got one, it is legal in S.A, to drive a car while sipping from a stubbie or a tinnie. The only criteria are that the driver must not be in control of a motor vehicle over the prescribed limit of .05. Not sure about anywhere else. Closing this loop hole is before parliament now though I think.

Bud Bud
Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Driving in WA with a can or stubbie is classed as street drinking and is a no no.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

you do have to indicate when merging at the end of overtaking lanes... so many people dont...
Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
googled it

Giving way when entering a roundabout
A driver entering a roundabout must give
way to any vehicle in the roundabout

there's not a lot of difference between that, and the old 'give way to the right' rule. some people think the new rule means they can just barge in if there's 1 car length of free space.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

another misconception, esp on these boards - winning the sales race each month = more profit
Old 09-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
F6T
Has V8 envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Ha ha ha that is gold! Not a very good start! Let's try and make it that people only with traceable facts respond as it will only keep the misconceptions going otherwise. Can we sort out the XA Phase IV answer before we move on as well!

Bud Bud
Well, Wikipedia states as follows:-

In 1972, the XY series Falcon was replaced by the XA Falcon range. Production of the XA based 1972 Falcon GTHO Phase IV commenced in mid-June 1972, but production was stopped due to a "Supercar Scare". The Sun-Herald had run this as a front page lead article (with banner headline in large capital letters) on Sunday 25 June 1972: "160mph 'Super Cars' Soon". A copy of that front page is shown at the start of a Phase IV documentary.

Four vehicles were built when production was stopped. Three were built as race cars for the Bathurst 500 in October, and one made it off the production line for sale to the public. The four vehicles were sold by Ford Australia, but the Phase IV was never officially released.

Nizpro 4" exhaust
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

Old 09-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v[]
you do have to indicate when merging at the end of overtaking lanes... so many people dont...
No only if your lane ends, as in there is clear demarcation that it is your lane that is ending.

If your lane is the one that continues on or there is no demarcation then you do not indicate.

N.B. Demarcation means you have to cross a line to enter the other lane.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
OK I got one, it is legal in S.A, to drive a car while sipping from a stubbie or a tinnie. The only criteria are that the driver must not be in control of a motor vehicle over the prescribed limit of .05. Not sure about anywhere else. Closing this loop hole is before parliament now though I think.
Bit of a red flag to a bull though. Cop sees you having a beer while you're driving, I think you're definitely going to be pulled over for a breath test!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Bit of a red flag to a bull though. Cop sees you having a beer while you're driving, I think you're definitely going to be pulled over for a breath test!
Red flag, red P plate....and the difference is?
Old 09-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #17
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST

See here
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....hlight=phase+4

And here
www.xagtho.com

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
Old 09-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Red flag, red P plate....and the difference is?
Good point. Although if you DID have a P-Plate up and were seen having a beer while driving you'd be losing your license very quickly since the P-Plate rule is 0.00%BAC, and not 0.05% like on a full license!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Common misconceptions:

* The police will never mistake a bottle of non-alcoholic Ginger Beer for alcoholic Beer

* Because you have right of way,..... the other person cares.

* If you try and take off in diesel, you can still steer as it's not THAT slippery.

* Putting your car into park while driving along is the same as using the handbrake (I did this -> but in reverse my poor first car)

Non-car related:
* People on other car forums are as level headed and well spoken as those on AFF
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 09-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
Well, Wikipedia states as follows:-

In 1972, the XY series Falcon was replaced by the XA Falcon range. Production of the XA based 1972 Falcon GTHO Phase IV commenced in mid-June 1972, but production was stopped due to a "Supercar Scare". The Sun-Herald had run this as a front page lead article (with banner headline in large capital letters) on Sunday 25 June 1972: "160mph 'Super Cars' Soon". A copy of that front page is shown at the start of a Phase IV documentary.

Four vehicles were built when production was stopped. Three were built as race cars for the Bathurst 500 in October, and one made it off the production line for sale to the public. The four vehicles were sold by Ford Australia, but the Phase IV was never officially released.
That last entry is certainly incorrect....
Ford only built and sold one factory (calypso green) XA GT HO.....
The other 4 cars were hand built outside the factory to HO specs and only one was ever race ready....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 09-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #21
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

misconceptions huh ok I will triple up the flame suit and hide in a bomb shelter and say this is a misconception

the GT-P is a better car than the F6 typhoon

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #22
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

More saftey gadgets means you can drive like a stupid and still come out on top.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 09-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #23
XWGT