Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Bunnings Oz - Narva Globes & Sundries

I only discovered this morning, the Big Green Shed carries a small spread of Narva gear. H4 and H7 in Plus 30s, a bit of cabling, lots of crimps, Anderson connectors.

Handy to know if you’re too far away or outside the hours of other suppliers. The H4s are cheaper by the each than Supercrap by almost $10.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #2
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bunnings Oz - Narva Globes & Sundries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I o
The H4s are cheaper by the each than Supercrap by almost $10.
Wont be long that supercrap will go out of business .There is no Quality Too much chinese made plastic rubbish end up our landfill
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I noticed this too - Bunnings could be a real threat to the retail side of Repco and also take on SCA if they gave it a proper try.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Potentially Bunnings could disrupt the activities of Supercheap, who seem to be slowing up and losing their edge.

Bunnies are clueless on the battery types and prices so far, it’s almost like they are being played for fools there. Didn’t see any stop-starts, yet this would correctly fit a large number of the patrons’ vehicles.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Potentially Bunnings could disrupt the activities of Supercheap, who seem to be slowing up and losing their edge.

Bunnies are clueless on the battery types and prices so far, it’s almost like they are being played for fools there. Didn’t see any stop-starts, yet this would correctly fit a large number of the patrons’ vehicles.
They just need to poach a few experienced category managers from Repco and Burson and they'd become a serious threat with their store network and resources.

They're selling Exide batteries, suit VN-VZ Commodore and EF-FGX - $160 Inc GST.

That's good going, Century equivalent was costing me $103+ GST 5 years ago as a reseller so if a retail customer is paying that they must be buying for less than half that.
Old 16-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Maybe times have changed but they went through all this before when they started as Hardware House many moons ago. Didn't work then.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #7
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Repco have surprisingly been cheaper than SCA for the last two car batteries I've bought.

Thanks for the heads up re Bunnings, I'm there a lot so will have a look for those parts
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They just need to poach a few experienced category managers from Repco and Burson and they'd become a serious threat with their store network and resources.

They're selling Exide batteries, suit VN-VZ Commodore and EF-FGX - $160 Inc GST.

That's good going, Century equivalent was costing me $103+ GST 5 years ago as a reseller so if a retail customer is paying that they must be buying for less than half that.
They wouldn’t have to try hard to poach anyone from Burson either. I can’t remember the last time I went into SCA, I used to always go in but it’d have to be over 10 years now.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2020, 11:16 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
They wouldn’t have to try hard to poach anyone from Burson either. I can’t remember the last time I went into SCA, I used to always go in but it’d have to be over 10 years now.
SCA sits on the retail side of distribution of automotive industry, they don't employ parts interpreters rather checkout chicks, but Repco and Burson are both heading down this path too relying on cataloguing rather than people with skills and experience - the former are obviously cheaper.

Make, model, year and VIN is all fine until you get to VW group and then good luck because no one can identify their VIN down to specific models and then when you get 6x front pads listed for one VW Golf thats where the fun begins

Where SCA beats Burson as a retail customer is operating hours, they tend to be open late.

Burson's market is primarily trade but they also sell to retail customers, Repco is making a shift towards better servicing retail but is still competitive with Burson to trade customers also.

If Bunnings wants to make an effort in this area they have to poach from Burson/Repco head office and specifically category managers rather than front counter staff.

Bunnings has 295 stores nationally, Burson has under 200, Repco is over 400 between Aus/NZ and SCA is 300 between Aus/NZ.

Bunnings could be a serious contender if they wanted to be, at least on the retail front, they're not set up to distribute to workshops.

I noticed today Bunnings has engine oil and coolant on the shelf at the tool shop.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-02-2020 at 11:21 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2020, 11:26 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

What about another metric there, retail hours? As in, the total of all stores’ retail trading hours in a normal week.

This is where I see the big shed as having an edge. If you want that battery at 6AM or some trailer cable and a plug at 8:30PM, it pretty much hands the gig to Bunnings.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2020, 11:53 PM   #11
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Bunnings decide to stock narva long term, then that brand will slowly disappear from other retailers. They want brands all to themselves, even a price match will result in a swift supplier rebuke from the Bunnings head office, it’s the way they work.
They aren’t known as the category killers for nothing, current focus is automotive,pets,bulk landscape supplies.
Look what they’ve done to flooring and tile markets.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 17-02-2020, 03:41 AM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I could see GUD “giving” Projecta to Bunnings, as it’s a range more easily shaped and less identifiable than Narva. Maybe Wesfil, too.

The Narva brand is too enmeshed in stuff it makes zero sense for Bunnings to carry, and why would GUD rebrand this content?
Old 17-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
If Bunnings decide to stock narva long term, then that brand will slowly disappear from other retailers. They want brands all to themselves, even a price match will result in a swift supplier rebuke from the Bunnings head office, it’s the way they work.
They aren’t known as the category killers for nothing, current focus is automotive,pets,bulk landscape supplies.
Look what they’ve done to flooring and tile markets.
Yep, they have a nasty habit of heavily discounting stuff, to the point of running the other out of town then 2 years or so later same stuff is gone for good, no spares no back up, nothing. One reason its good to spend your money in other stores as once the other store is gone and the big green building is the only one left they can control the price, the goods and customers.

Half the crap I've ever bought there I might as well have thrown it into the bin at the door on the way out.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #14
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bunnings it seems have deliberately avoided carrying automotive accessories/sundries. (From an inside source). I wonder why?.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2020, 09:33 PM   #15
DTFRMONT

Quote:
What about another metric there, retail hours? As in, the total of all stores’ retail trading hours in a normal week.

This is where I see the big shed as having an edge. If you want that battery at 6AM or some trailer cable and a plug at 8:30PM, it pretty much hands the gig to Bunnings.
KMart used to own this side of the market once upon a time. When most cars were your basic Falcon/Commodore/Corolla/Laser/Magna, etc it would have been relatively easy to keep a decent range of basic filters & parts, now with a more varied vehicle fleet on the road, the likes of Bunnings would have to devote a lot more floorspace if they wanted to seriously get into the automotive side of things.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: