Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #31
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 10 Year Warranty for Kia, it Could Happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I'm well aware of that point.. (I actually do My own servicing) But the average Punter Doesn't. So they Blindly take It back to the dealer for the duration.......
It pays to research.

With capped pricing servicing and road side assist, most dealer servicing isn’t too bad price wise anyway.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 02:10 PM   #32
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
A 10 year warranty would have to show supreme confidence in the product's engineering and longevity.

By comparison, BMW only offer a 3 year / unlimited km warranty.

Maybe Kia are very well made?
I've owner several (about 5) new Kias and Hyundais in recent times, I have NEVER had a warranty claim, after many many years owning Falcons and Commodores it is a strange feeling when service asks "Any issues with the car" and I have to reply "No". Makes me be more critical of the car but I still don't find things to bitch about at service. Even my Brembos don't squeal which has been a problem with many of my previous non-Korean cars.
For the last 5 to 10 years they've been bolting them together pretty well.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #33
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Neither do I.

Most with car taste get more attention by not driving one.
In your opinion of course.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #34
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Kia and Hyundai have been smashing the game since 2012 with better features and quality that is now equalling or bettering euro spec, and some people are still asking "would you buy one" because "it's a Kia". The boat left years ago - there's a reason that the i30 is the 4th best selling car - third if you factor in the Corolla above it included their sedan derivative that the i30 doesn't have.

I'm all over them both - can't wait for the 2021 N Performance 8speed, it'll be a rip-snorter.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #35
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
In your opinion of course.
I was only joking mate.

They are fantastic cars, excellent value for money.

A wagon version I would seriously consider.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #36
lamborghinifan

Although it was hard work to actually get booked in and done. Local dealer warranted two failed tailgate struts on a 4+ year old Hyundai I load. Commercial vehicle used heaps every day. I must admit I was actually little surprised, and would have replaced them myself, but for the fact I rang and checked first. So, I would put it as a plus to buying a Kia. Just a shame that nothing really suits my current taste/budget.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 01:50 AM   #37
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Hi, The reason you get mandatory recall of Takata airbags is that they kill people. The car manufacturers can (and should) be legally held responsible for the injury to the driver, without time limitations. Let's not use this as an example for other warranties related to keep cars operational.

Has to be one in every bunch.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:00 AM   #38
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
Kia and Hyundai have been smashing the game since 2012 with better features and quality that is now equalling or bettering euro spec,
Err no, no they just haven't.

Quote:
there's a reason that the i30 is the 4th best selling car
Actually there's 2 reasons:
Firstly, they're cheap. Secondly most people buying in that market segment, wouldn't know a good car if it bit them in the ****.
But that's the reality of the market. Most people want an iphone dock with wheels.

Quote:
and some people are still asking "would you buy one" because "it's a Kia".

Umm, you do understand that Kia is, by definition, the cheaper, deliberately down-market brand of Hyundai, often deliberately using superseded Hyundai components.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #39
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Umm, you do understand that Kia is, by definition, the cheaper, deliberately down-market brand of Hyundai, often deliberately using superseded Hyundai components.
Maybe 10 years ago they might have. The recently released Genesis G70 largely shares many of the 3 year old Stinger parts (platform, dash, headunit screen, brakes, etc). I think you’ll find the comparable Kia models are priced similar to the equivalent Hyundai model. Having owned both I can’t see how anyone could say Kia is the cheap brother.

eg:
Hyunda Tucson Highlander CRDi $48,800
Kia Stortage GT-Line CRDi $47,690

Hyundai Sante Fe Highlander $60,500
Kia Sorento GT-Line $58,990

And of course the JD Quality Study also agrees the Korean cars are ****boxes...NOT (see attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD.JPG (70.6 KB, 14 views)

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan

Last edited by Cashie; 02-02-2020 at 09:25 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #40
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Firstly, they're cheap. Secondly most people buying in that market segment, wouldn't know a good car if it bit them in the ****.
But that's the reality of the market. Most people want an iphone dock with wheels.

What absolute rubbish, I don't know where to start.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #41
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Has to be one in every bunch.
I think his point is valid, what's your point regarding Australian statutory protection in reference to the Takata Airbag recall? Noting this is a world-wide recall that was initiated in response to a US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) investigation after 3 deaths? Hardly related to a warranty discussion.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 02-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #42
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:

Good thing i was stating facts, and not asking your opinion - that's where you must have been confused. Having owned 24 cars this century alone, a lot of which being new, i'm pretty familiar with what makes a good car. Having also owned a new Rio SLS back in the day and currently an i30 SR Premium as as daily, i'm also pretty familiar with their quality and how it compares to other cars in the class, including Golf. You may want to research who makes up the team at Kia and Hyundai. Of course they're cheap cars, that IS their market segment, aside from Stinger and Genesis. However again you're incorrect, as the teirs for Kia and Hyundai products are basically at the same price point and have several differences in their design and feature list.

As far as quality goes, The two Korean cars we've owned run rings around both my Mustangs, and any Falcon i've owned in terms of build quality, features, AND reliability.

Anyway thanks for your hilarious arrogance and god complex
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #43
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good thing i was stating facts, and not asking your opinion - that's where you must have been confused. Having owned 24 cars this century alone, a lot of which being new, i'm pretty familiar with what makes a good car. Having also owned a new Rio SLS back in the day and currently an i30 SR Premium as as daily, i'm also pretty familiar with their quality and how it compares to other cars in the class, including Golf. You may want to research who makes up the team at Kia and Hyundai. Of course they're cheap cars, that IS their market segment, aside from Stinger and Genesis. However again you're incorrect, as the teirs for Kia and Hyundai products are basically at the same price point and have several differences in their design and feature list.

As far as quality goes, The two Korean cars we've owned run rings around both my Mustangs, and any Falcon i've owned in terms of build quality, features, AND reliability.

Anyway thanks for your hilarious arrogance and god complex
Thank you for the post of the decade.
It sums up exactly how I see it too. It's clear those who have never owned any of the cars that they take pleasure in bagging and/or the badge snobs. Like you I've owned a large number of cars across many brands including Euro Prestige and the best value,most reliable and fit for purpose cars I've ever owned would be Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage and the Kia Stinger. The first two might not be the most exciting cars on the road, but they easily meet my criteria above.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
3 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #44
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
What absolute rubbish, I don't know where to start.
Proof that brand snobbery is still evident?
Old 02-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #45
ljf12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11 View Post
Looked at a Kia Cerato GT seemd well finished thought about buying one dont know what to buy now thye are not making Falcons
A while ago ( early December) in another thread I told how my wife bought a new Cerato. I don’t follow cars like I used to and I wasn’t even aware what the current Cerato looked like, and I had never even heard of the Cerato GT.

I sat in the GT at the dealership and really liked it, so much so a week after my wife bought her Sports Plus I bought a GT.

Had it about six weeks, what a great car , list price of $33000 drive away and it’s got a list of standard features a mile long.
“Small “ cars have so much room now and they drive really well, if anyone is looking I highly recommend they check out the Cerato range.

As a long time Ford fan at least I can say to myself that Ford once owned a share of Kia and the badge is a similar shape 😀
ljf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #46
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When we were looking for a car for the missus (up to 5yrs old) I didn’t care what brand it was. Just needed to be automatic, reverse camera, 7seats and not too big. No need for suv, 4wd etc etc. looked at about 10 different brands/cars and we ended up with a Kia Rondo (3yr old and 50,000km for under $20k). So far after 3yrs and approx 45,000km it has been absolutely brilliant, not a dollar spent except regular servicing, everything works, nothing has fallen off, no squeaks/rattles etc etc. only issue is the roof rails are starting to fade slightly, only noticed when I washed it this weekend!! Wish I could say the same about my previous 2008 falcon Ute and current 2014 Ranger!!!
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #47
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Good on em for trying....
In all practicality most modern engineered cars would easily do the 10 year stint if looked after and serviced regularly. ( read the fine print on any warranty and it will exclude heaps of stuff )
KIA have done their six sigma analysis and like most manufacturers, they know their failure rates and what the cost of rolling out an extended warranty v increased sales means to their business. It’s their parts sourcing and pricing that gives them the edge and allows them to maintain their margins despite forking out for replacements.

Mitsubishi did this as well a while back with a 10 year drivetrain warranty, didn’t help them much but a lot of their offerings were &$6s balls anyways.... lol.
KIA are progressive and raising the bar, it’s just brand snobbery that would prevent someone from buying one. I hate to admit and I try hard not to be, but I’m a brand snob so I wouldnt venture into a KIA dealership, but a 20 year warranty would get me in there !!!! Means the resale would be awesome even after the 6th owner !!

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #48
MercuryT
Banned

I used to love my Ford (hence joined here) but I'm not sure being a brand snob means a person can drive a Ford but not a Kia.

Ford is not exactly a top brand in terms of any prestige or wow factor.

Both are mostly budget brands for the masses, I see little difference.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:47 PM   #49
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I used to love my Ford (hence joined here) but I'm not sure being a brand snob means a person can drive a Ford but not a Kia.

Ford is not exactly a top brand in terms of any prestige or wow factor.

Both are mostly budget brands for the masses, I see little difference.
Well....
15 years ago when I purchased my FPV, it was the pinnacle of what Ford Aus had to offer and KIA were screwing together very mediocre forms of transport.
Fast forward 15 years to now and If I had 60k to spend on a car now, I’m saying I wouldn’t consider any KIA, I’d likely be snobbing my way into a 3 year old A class AMG. I wouldn’t be spending my coin on a KIA is what I’m saying. That’s it.... 100 lashes for me now..

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #50
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but the 7yrs of comprehensive roadside assistance which goes with it

haven never been in position to buy a new car nor likely too, what does this actually amount to, that RAA, NRMA etc dont cover.

When I was many years younger and still in NZ my dad got a Honda agency, started with N360, N600 then to first Civic,, our advertising included the phrase, " no after sales warranty required, these cars are so good." other dealers hated dads guts.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:25 PM   #51
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
but the 7yrs of comprehensive roadside assistance which goes with it

haven never been in position to buy a new car nor likely too, what does this actually amount to, that RAA, NRMA etc dont cover.

When I was many years younger and still in NZ my dad got a Honda agency, started with N360, N600 then to first Civic,, our advertising included the phrase, " no after sales warranty required, these cars are so good." other dealers hated dads guts.
To be honest I've never bothered to read the terms of those state automotive bodies as I've never been a member or even looked into it, that's the benefit of the Kia program, you don't need to give it any consideration, its always there in the background should you ever need it without giving it a second thought.

My mate signed up to the RAA last week when his Egas wagon broke down, cost him $200 to sign up and once he'd joined they then said any call outs in the first 48hrs would set him back an extra $90.
Cost him as much for them to tell him what was wrong as it did the part to fix it.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 09:17 PM   #52
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought my rio SLS after following Professors thread about his experience with the same over on the other forum ��
My masculinity wasn’t threatened by owning a 3dr Kia, and I still stand up to pee.
If I was buying a new car today with my own money, it will def be a Kia.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-02-2020, 10:01 PM   #53
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
To be honest I've never bothered to read the terms of those state automotive bodies as I've never been a member or even looked into it, that's the benefit of the Kia program, you don't need to give it any consideration, its always there in the background should you ever need it without giving it a second thought.

My mate signed up to the RAA last week when his Egas wagon broke down, cost him $200 to sign up and once he'd joined they then said any call outs in the first 48hrs would set him back an extra $90.
Cost him as much for them to tell him what was wrong as it did the part to fix it.
I hear what your saying, but who comes out or who do they send to collect your Kia or whatever IF you break down?
I cant see the local agent driving out 150-200k at 11pm at night, like the RAA guys does.
Ive belonged to RAA 11 years used them once but they had to get a tilt tray to bring me home and that was at 11pm 200K away from home
Old 02-02-2020, 11:00 PM   #54
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I hear what your saying, but who comes out or who do they send to collect your Kia or whatever IF you break down?
I cant see the local agent driving out 150-200k at 11pm at night, like the RAA guys does.
Ive belonged to RAA 11 years used them once but they had to get a tilt tray to bring me home and that was at 11pm 200K away from home
They use the local motoring association, ie RAC, NRMA etc

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 03-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #55
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Stinger GT with a 10 yr warranty? sheit yeah
Old 03-02-2020, 11:23 AM   #56
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
You can take a brand new car to any qualified and licensed mechanic. As long as they service it to manufacturer specs your completely covered by warranty.

In saying that, I spoke with our Hyundai mechanic who said they covered a Veloster Turbo, turbo replacement even though it was serviced with not to spec oil.

Hyundai covered a ripped drivers seat in our Iload and told us they were replacing very worn seats in Genesis’ used as hire cars even with 200,000 kms on them.

So these long warranty’s along with consumer protection has you truly covered. I think the longer warranty just takes the pain and time out of throwing the consumer protection laws book at the dealer. They just fix it within reason.
My mum has a Santa Fe and even out of warranty they still fixed things and looked after her and the car properly.

Unlike other car companies, they have probably worked out that keeping a customer happy at a small extra cost is better than making that customer tell 20 of their friends about how crap they were treated.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #57
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Stinger GT with a 10 yr warranty? sheit yeah
Stinger GT with a 7 year warranty is still pretty amazing.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 08-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #58
MercuryT
Banned

Seems no Stinger wagon planned. Damn.

I'd buy in a flash as I like to only run one car and it's impossible with a sedan.

SUVs also useless for me (boot too small, all height not width) so I'll have to stay with the current ride I guess.....
Old 08-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
My mum has a Santa Fe and even out of warranty they still fixed things and looked after her and the car properly.

Unlike other car companies, they have probably worked out that keeping a customer happy at a small extra cost is better than making that customer tell 20 of their friends about how crap they were treated.
How good is human nature? You do something good and it's only talked about when something similar comes up in conversation.

You do something wrong and they'll tell anyone who'll listen, shout from the rooftops everywhere, Tracey Grimshaw is knocking on your door and then they'll haunt you after they die
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2020, 10:55 PM   #60
MercuryT
Banned

With 3 Greyhounds and a Shepherd I need a wagon! Maybe one day

My R36 goes very well (very nice sound) and fits 2 in back and 2 in wagon.....

The SUV world has ruined proper Wagon people like me! ha