Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
CrypticLuxury
Starter Motor

Default AU GHIA - Door Spear Repair

Howdy all, it's my first thread here but I've been lurking in the shadows silently gathering information for a few years. Anyway here is my 2cents to the forum with a few tips on repairing au fairlane woodgrain door spears.

This tip is a variation on the tech resource that uses a similar method but I've found mine is a lot stronger and will have better longevity.

The reason these spears fall off is due to broken/snapped stalks on the back where the screws come through the card. With a maccas straw and a product called "Selleys - KneedIT!" We can rebuild these broken screw stalks.

Just cut some straw to length, doesn't matter if too long as we can cut and sand this stuff, kneed some of the product with your hands until mixed and soft and stuff the straw you just cut full of it. Then press the filled straw over the broken stalk and hold firm for a few seconds.

Wait for approx 60mins for it to fully cure, cut to length so it's just short of poking through the card. Drill a 2mm hole into the kneedit stalks.

Press back into door and fasten the new spear stalks with short button head screws.

Good luck!, if there is enough interest in these kind of repairs I'm happy to make better, more structured repair guides!

Pics for reference:

Last edited by CrypticLuxury; 30-12-2019 at 07:36 PM.
CrypticLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
CrypticLuxury
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU GHIA - Door Spear Repair

Old 13-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

This thread is relvant to my interest - picked up a set of Fairmont door cards over the weekend with all spears in tact - took them off to paint, boom. Broken. Haha oh well.

So I will be giving this a go. Thanks for documenting it all.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
CrypticLuxury
Starter Motor

Ive been experimenting too, a tap and a few cap heads with some washers work well too, just make sure youre screws if you use them arent a high guage
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Tried this out today with a decent level of success. I struggled with a few of them, but the end result is all four spears attached to the doors quite securely.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Oo\===/oO
Old 19-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #6
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did mine slightly differently

LTD spears are super hard to come by.

Most plastic prongs on mine were cracked, I used megapoxy to glue m4 studs into the plastic bits and glued the cracks, used a flat washer and nut to retain them to the door trim. Bit of thread sealant on the threads to prevent rattling loose.
Did the same thing with the prongs that were completely snapped off; just glued studs on to them; mine have been going good for about 5 years now.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

That's also a good way to deal with it!

Curious to know what the difference in LTD spears are - is it the wood grain pattern used?

Oo\===/oO
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
That's also a good way to deal with it!

Curious to know what the difference in LTD spears are - is it the wood grain pattern used?
Yeah it’s just darker. Similar pattern.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: