Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #91
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Gen F HSV GTS Review, 0-100 in 4.4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
Pretty sure it will be the quickest, but not the fastest, as this will be speed limited where the GTHOP3 was not.
I think the VY holds the fastest Aussie car record.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #92
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
So I can't buy one.... Can only put down a deposit....
How many deposits did Holden take for that 7 litre monaro race car that never eventuated as a production car?

Fact is the same, the current king is the rspec, the gts can't claim that title until the bloody thing is actually here, and been tested by someone other than someone collecting a wage from hsv.
So the new GTS that HSV have spent years developing, that the press has already driven, that is the star of the VF ad campaign, that is already allocated to dealers, might never make it to production. That's your argument? I was going to make a sarcastic remark about the likelihood of an asteroid hitting Clayton but I really don't want to be held responsible for filling FPV fanboys with false hope. Let's just say that private deliveries of the new GTS are just around the corner, it's an odd thing to have to debate. As for the R Spec being the reigning "king" (does that mean the F6 is the queen?), I imagine even once the GTS is in private hands and (odds are) it slightly outpaces the GT in the holy grail of driving (a straight line), there will be those that will claim the reviewer was biased and/or on the HSV payroll, it's an argument that cannot easily be won. Are you willing to proclaim the GTS as the "king" if it does indeed accelerate over 400m faster than a GT? Not that I will hold you to it, I personally think proclaiming cars as "the king" based on one single performance measurement is more than a little bit silly.
7 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #93
Rodge
Banned

^^ HSV are "claiming" 12.3 for the quarter mile and there's quite a few guys on here actually getting that with their stock SC FPV's.

I posted a youtube clip on a CTS-V with its SC LSA a while back which only got 299 rwkw's on a mainline dyno, ohh wait that's 5 rwkw's less than my car got stock also on a Mainline dyno but with a dirty stock air filter, surely that can't be right, (sarcasm intended).

Dunno about others but I'm over the "hype" of the GTS already....
5 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #94
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
^^ HSV are "claiming" 12.3 for the quarter mile and there's quite a few guys on here actually getting that with their stock SC FPV's.

I posted a youtube clip on a CTS-V with its SC LSA a while back which only got 299 rwkw's on a mainline dyno, ohh wait that's 5 rwkw's less than my car got stock also on a Mainline dyno but with a dirty stock air filter, surely that can't be right, (sarcasm intended).

Dunno about others but I'm over the "hype" of the GTS already....
Weren't you talking about getting one not very long ago?
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #95
Rodge
Banned

Like some others I might have got a little excited by all the hype at one stage but now I've seen a few VF's in the metal there's no way I would own a car that bloody ugly so I've woken up and smelt the coffee unlike some other Ford / FPV enthusiasts on here.

$125,000 Kiwi for an auto one here is bloody laughable...if I wanted another savage belting from depreciation, (which I definitly don't), I rather do it in style http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=618860758

Last edited by Rodge; 05-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #96
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it strange that since the embargo was lifted there is absolutely no info or reviews to be found aside from the one or two links posted here. I'm sure the GT and the R spec got much more coverage.

Maybe no one thinks its such a big deal now seeing how disappointing the 0-100 and 1/4 times are.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #97
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Claimed 4.4 second 0-100km/h and 12.3 second - that is all

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #98
Angeldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
I think the VY holds the fastest Aussie car record.
VZ with LS2

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
This user likes this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #99
Uwish

What does Ford claim for the GT Rspec?
I am sure the car will be MUCH better than anything from the Ford stable.

But time will tell.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #100
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think FPV ever claimed any times with the GT Rspec. Only test I ever read was the Wheels test & they achieved 0-100 in 4.52 with a 6 speed manual IIRC, & as we all know with Wheels that includes half a tank of juice & passanger. I think MOTOR might have tested the auto version & was slower if I recall.
Untill Wheels or MOTOR do a decent test on the GTS, it's all just guess work really as the only real test so far is by Josh Dowling in Carsguide with a 4.7 & I think most of us here recognise it should be faster than that!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #101
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 18 View Post
Untill Wheels or MOTOR do a decent test on the GTS, it's all just guess work really as the only real test so far is by Josh Dowling in Carsguide with a 4.7 & I think most of us here recognise it should be faster than that!
Yes and no. Stupidity is one of the heaviest elements known to man, so putting Dowling in there would have taken the weight to over 3 tonnes.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #102
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think ford claimed about 4.5 for the Rspec. I recall reading an article somewhere that the GT 335 actually makes about 375kw for about 8 seconds or so, but due to some technical reason (not maintained power, or not at peak or something) they only had to make the official power rating 335kw.

This would explain a lot as to why the GT is so quick.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #103
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/205898/fpv-gt-rspec-review/

Quote:
We hear the system worked well enough that FPV managed a 4.5 second 0-100km/h run on concrete, which was apparently backed by a car magazine running the same time at a drag strip.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #104
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
That's the article that mentions the 375kw part too.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #105
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
So the new GTS that HSV have spent years developing, that the press has already driven, that is the star of the VF ad campaign, that is already allocated to dealers, might never make it to production. That's your argument? I was going to make a sarcastic remark about the likelihood of an asteroid hitting Clayton but I really don't want to be held responsible for filling FPV fanboys with false hope. Let's just say that private deliveries of the new GTS are just around the corner, it's an odd thing to have to debate. As for the R Spec being the reigning "king" (does that mean the F6 is the queen?), I imagine even once the GTS is in private hands and (odds are) it slightly outpaces the GT in the holy grail of driving (a straight line), there will be those that will claim the reviewer was biased and/or on the HSV payroll, it's an argument that cannot easily be won. Are you willing to proclaim the GTS as the "king" if it does indeed accelerate over 400m faster than a GT? Not that I will hold you to it, I personally think proclaiming cars as "the king" based on one single performance measurement is more than a little bit silly.
Of course once the gts is a really here, and has run the numbers il be more than happy to give it the kudos it deserves.

And in all likelihood it will be the bees knees to many, not since the w427 has there been so much focus put on all round performance.
To me it doesn't actually have to be faster than the r spec, it looks to be a much better all round package regardless.

My point was more to the thought that this being a ford forum, most would happy to grasp whatever time the r spec has left at the top, which performance wise, it is at the top, until such time the gts is actually here.

Wonder if there was this much love for hsv on here when the wd40 was released or is this a byproduct of ford saying 'adios'?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #106
Rodge
Banned

Worth noting that the R Spec wears pretty old tech Dunlop Sport Maxx rubber which is far from the last word in traction these days, whereas HSV have moved on to significantly more expensive rubber sitting on bigger rims and wide tyres.

Wonder what the R Spec would do with top spec rubber ?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #107
nstg8a

Probably destroy a diff bush.

In all fairness the two can't be compared, the 30k odd price difference alone is massive, the gts really is a no holds barred last roll of the dice from Holden, where as the r spec is simply what the 335 should have been when it was first released.

Holden probably spent as much trying to work out how to have a big boot spoiler that didn't distort the alloy boot lid as fpv had to spend on the whole r spec update.
Plus ones a model at the end of its life, the other is brand spankers.

Regardless of brand loyalty, with cars like the gt, gts, srt8, xr6t, ssv and any other number of hipo modern cars we really are in a golden, albeit also twilight, era of performance cars.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #108
Rodge
Banned

Or do a 4.3 second run
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #109
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Of course once the gts is a really here, and has run the numbers il be more than happy to give it the kudos it deserves.

And in all likelihood it will be the bees knees to many, not since the w427 has there been so much focus put on all round performance.
To me it doesn't actually have to be faster than the r spec, it looks to be a much better all round package regardless.

My point was more to the thought that this being a ford forum, most would happy to grasp whatever time the r spec has left at the top, which performance wise, it is at the top, until such time the gts is actually here.

Wonder if there was this much love for hsv on here when the wd40 was released or is this a byproduct of ford saying 'adios'?
I think if the R Spec had parking assist and an electronic handbrake then everyone would be happy. To me the GT is a muscle car. No frills, just a ballsy engine and no ******** trinkets and gadgets. The GTS to me is an AMG wannabe that looks downright ugly as ****. It doesn't look like a muscle car at all. I'm nit sure HSV knows what they want it to look like. Mazda? Toyota? Kia? Hyundai?
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
9 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #110
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Worth noting that the R Spec wears pretty old tech Dunlop Sport Maxx rubber which is far from the last word in traction these days, whereas HSV have moved on to significantly more expensive rubber sitting on bigger rims and wide tyres.

Wonder what the R Spec would do with top spec rubber ?
I wonder why a "hero car" doesn't get performance tyres to match the car's obvious engine/driveline combo ?? Like you say, the Dunlop Sport Maxx were never really capable of too much....
Old 05-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #111
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza
I think if the R Spec had parking assist and an electronic handbrake then everyone would be happy. To me the GT is a muscle car. No frills, just a ballsy engine and no ******** trinkets and gadgets. The GTS to me is an AMG wannabe that looks downright ugly as ****. It doesn't look like a muscle car at all. I'm nit sure HSV knows what they want it to look like. Mazda? Toyota? Kia? Hyundai?
Looks are subjective. Im not a fan of looks of either to be honest. I still think a ve clubbie is the toughest looking of the lot
Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #112
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

motoring.com.au must be doing a GT RSEC vs GTS review. They posted a picture on Instagram.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #113
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
........ ones a model at the end of its life, the other is brand spankers.
I think a lot forget this ..... and the fact that there is a MASSIVE difference in price. To buy a GT for 70k on road (or less in my case) ..... is it fair to compare a car worth so much more? 30k or more should buy you a hell of a lot more car? There would be something massively wrong if the GTS wasn't a GT beater.

Being a Ford site I am sure that HSV will always be compared to FPV, but a GT should be compared to a Clubsport and not a GTS. If FPV priced the GT at 100k, then go for it.

All I can say is, the GT should hold its own on the road compared to the GTS, especially in looks and would not be disgraced on a track if that's your intention which isn't too bad for a car that's 5 years older and 30k cheaper?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #114
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Four point this, four point that. Such a fuss over so little. Matters on the strip don't matter squat on the road.

In either your average driver will be too busy painting their undies to notice the difference. I'll have one of each thanks.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #115
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think there is $30k between them in sticker price.

If im not mistaken, Rspec and GTP is/ was $82k plus orc and GTS is $92k plus orc. A standard GT without leather and sat nav is $72k plus orc.

Give it a year or so and I'm sure there'll be some GTS around for less than $90k with negligible klms.

I had a look at a RSPEC and the new HSV yesterday. The FPV looks better from the outside and will date well but that bloody interior is too povo (the piano black helps it quite a bit). HSV looks good in black and the interior whilst quite plasticky is a generation and a half ahead of the GT.

At current prices, I'd go a demo FPV GT now and then buy an HSV GTS when it is time for the next trade in three years or so. That will probably the last Aussie made muscle car ever and in an ideal world both would be keepers.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #116
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

But can you really compare an RSpec to a GTS? One is not made anymore and the other is a fresh model? 1 was a cheaper limited run while the other is not? And of course the interior looks a generation different between the two? Cos it is? If in a few years time there will be some GTS's around for less than 90k ..... I am sure there will be some GT's at the same time for less than 50k?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #117
OCTANEBOSS

If Ford Australia got the 200 million in election promises just being handed out just imagine the beast we could have, maybe 4 sec flat falcon lol . could spend 30 k on the boss and eat a the new hsv but thats not the point i think ?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #118
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
But can you really compare an RSpec to a GTS? One is not made anymore and the other is a fresh model? 1 was a cheaper limited run while the other is not? And of course the interior looks a generation different between the two? Cos it is? If in a few years time there will be some GTS's around for less than 90k ..... I am sure there will be some GT's at the same time for less than 50k?
I'm comparing GT, RSPEC and GTP new rrp prices to new GTS rrp. Last time i looked you can still order a new GTP. The cost is $82k plus orc which is $10k less than the GTS.

I said in a year or so you could pick up a demo GTS for less than $90k. If there are still new FPV's around I very much doubt you will be able to buy a demonstrator GT or even a vanilla GT for less than $50k (if only!).
Old 06-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #119
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regardless of price, the GTS was always going to be compared to the GT variant. The Holden boys were always upset when our s/c GT was compared to their NA HSV. Now that the GTS is s/c it levels the playing field some what.

To be fair to the GT, there are several on carsales listed between 65-70k drive away. So, that's a good 30-40k difference on drive away price. Most of the people who have ordered the GTS have paid a touch over 100k.

For 30-40k, you'd expect a vastly better all round package, with all the tech etc.

Both are fantastic value in their own rights. I'm still not 100% sure which way i want to go, 100k is a lot to drop on a car. I'm leaning towards a GT for about 60k, and then in a few years time it'll be retired as a weekend car or for the wife and i might look for a low km GTS. Intention will be to keep them both long term. I guess that will depend on what other performance cars are released for a good price down the track (mustang etc), and whether or not i can afford to buy it without selling one of the others!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #120
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
I'm leaning towards a GT for about 60k
And that's the thing about price some people seem to be missing. You can buy a low km / demo SC GT for about $60K driveaway which is a full $40,000 less than people who are sitting in a long, long wait list queue waiting to get their GTS who've had to pay full retail or very close to it.

I'd speculate, (without wasting time having a look) there's deals to be had on low Km GT-E's and GT-P's for mid-late $60K range. Comparing retail to retail is meaningless when one model is freshly released and people are paying full retail and the other is is an old model where people are enjoying buying a brilliant car at a realistic price.

Last edited by Rodge; 06-08-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Closed Thread