Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
LukeyST
ST fan

Default AUIII XR6 VCT, hard starting, high idle, maybe running a little rough?

Hey everyone,

Got a few concerns with the ST, and I want to get them sorted.

a) Ever since i bought her (in January) shes tended to cough a bit when starting. Like it will crank over ok, but once it starts the revs fluctuate and it dies right down, then she will generally return to idle and be fine, but sometimes it will stall completely : Sometimes she'll start no worries at all, i can't pick any consistencies but :

b) What rpm should it be idling at? Upon starting, and returning to idle it will sit at about 900-1000rpm, but after driving for a while and returning to idle it will sit at about 850-900rpm. Maybe the VCT's just idle higher? Not sure. I thought the idle should be about 700rpm.

c) Up high in the revs under acceleration, it seems a bit course, but i think im just used to my EL, which had the cam timing and ignition timing advanced which seemed to make it a bit coarse low in the revs but smooth as silk from 4500-6000rpm. Just thought i'd ask the question, as it might be related to a) and b).

So was basically wondering if anyone knows what causes such issues, i've been thinking coil pack, injectors, crank angle sensor, oxygen sensor, idle sensor?? Dunno. I'd just like to get a more definite answer/advice before i start buying parts only to find it doesn't change anything.

The car is an AUIII XR6 VCT ST. Manual, 130,000kms. Has x-force extractors but stock cat and system. I adapted a pod filter into the box and i've got a hole cut in the front of the airbox. I recently changed plugs and leads, so confident its not that. Also, i only ever fill it with BP ultimate, not that that should effect it.

I think that 'bout covers it _2:

Cheers.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gday looks like you have a nice car. from your avatar
Any way check your inlet manifold for leaks ,I replaced mine on the weekend,as it was ideling high and running rough from a leak(broken gasket and loose inlet manifold bolts) on the no 3 runner.
she's like brand new now.

$13.95 for the gasket
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
LukeyST
ST fan

Ok thats pretty bad if yours was actually damaged mate. I'll check mine tomorrow afternoon. Its good that you reminded me, cause I always used to check the bolts on the EL, but have yet to on the XR.

Cheers.