Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #211
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Default Re: SAAB Abandoned By GM, Files Bankruptcy.

And it is all over for SAAB

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-1...ruptcy/3739060
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #212
Whiskeyonesix

The name SAAB might still be resurrected one day, look at MG, they're going great business ............ or maybe not

Watch the values of proper pre-GM takeover SAABS go through the roof now...

It's a sad loss though. I still wonder why the Swedish government didn't bail them out - or maybe they had more sense.

New brake switch at 203k+211k, new Discs and Pads + service at 212k
Whiskeyonesix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #213
1TUFFUTE
Banned

so can someone sum up what exactly has happened in the whole gm and saab thing....its hard to keep up with the facts.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #214
EL97
Former owner, still a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
so can someone sum up what exactly has happened in the whole gm and saab thing....its hard to keep up with the facts.
GM won't allow the chinese access to GM licensed technology. They have single-handedly destroyed the company by letting it rot ever since they purchased it back in '89. Shame really, Saab's quirkiness gave their cars a lot of character, hopefully someone can revive the company, however I seriously doubt it will happen.
EL97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #215
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it finally over? This saga seems to have been dragging on for years

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #216
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It was just a matter of time.

Makes me wonder why GM bought them in the first place when all they did was neglect it and run it into the ground. Good ol' GM.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #217
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad day.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #218
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better GM survives than SAAB.
Saab buyers were trying to br citroen DS buyers.
They bought a new car once every 10 years. How can a company make money when its fans dont buy cars?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #219
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

No, it's not over.

SAAB are now in bankruptcy protection, which means it is being run by an administrator, and someone else floating around the edges could still buying it as a going concern.

GM and Chrysler went bankrupt, and they are still around.

Lukeyson
Old 21-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #220
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Who'd want a basket case, especially when GM own all the technical licences and intellectual property, and they won't give that up to a competitor. Without it you have nothing.

Its finished. Other manufacturers will just fight over the scraps of factory equipment.
Old 21-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #221
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
No, it's not over.

SAAB are now in bankruptcy protection, which means it is being run by an administrator, and someone else floating around the edges could still buying it as a going concern.

GM and Chrysler went bankrupt, and they are still around.

Lukeyson
I don't see any way back for SAAB - its name is even more mud than it was before. Ever since GM took control of SAAB, even their most ardent supporters have told me to stay away from the brand (I kind of had a soft spot for them a long time ago).

In any case, Swedish bankruptcy laws are not like US laws and its likely the company will be broken up and sold in bits - not a pretty sight.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #222
RASER
Banned

I heard they are back [AGAIN!] just as a 100% electric range, no more ICE, anybody else heard anything?

I also believe they still managed to registered 2 x brand new vehicles thus far in 2012!
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #223
321Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
I heard they are back [AGAIN!] just as a 100% electric range, no more ICE, anybody else heard anything?
Not really the old Saab as we knew it, and only for the Chinese market (ATM). Funny that GM refused to sell Saab to the Chinese (and with very good reason IMO), but the Chinese have got it now anyway.

From topgear.com, 15 June 2012.
Quote:

Well, Saab is back. Sorta. Its new owners have a plan to make electric versions of the old Saab 9-3 for sale initially in China.

A Swedish-Chinese-Japanese consortium, put together for the purpose and called National Electric Vehicle Sweden (NEVS), has bought the plant and the equipment at Trollhattan.

If the electrified old 9-3 goes well, they might be able to make an electric version of the new one too. That, as a petrol and diesel car, was due next year but it was stillborn when the old company closed its doors. There are no stated plans for any petrol or diesel Saabs in future.

Well hooray that someone has done something with the place. But it will be on a very small scale. NEVS is hiring about 200 engineers, where the old company had 1600. And when production starts - they're hoping for 2013-2014 so I'll bet it's the latter of those dates - it's unlikely to be on the same scale as before.

This factory made 100,000 cars in 2007 and nearly the same in '08, before GM put the brand up for sale. Global sales of the Nissan Leaf might, with a following wind, broach 40,000 this year. But the Leaf is designed from the outset to be an electric car and is backed by huge engineering and marketing resources. The NEVS e-Saab is not. So the Trolhattan plant won't get back to its former glory for a very long time.

The rights to the 9-5 stay with GM, by the way, because GM thinks it can't let the designs leak out as they're too similar to so many of its own cars.

Little wonder there are rumblings in Sweden from the suppliers that this is hardly a serious re-birth. Oh and it's not even clear the Saab defence company will let NEVS use the Saab badge.

There was a TopGear segment on the whole Saab story. If you can get a hold of that TopGear episode, it's worth watching. It wasn't really GM's fault Saab went under. Saab played a very big part in their own demise.
321Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #224
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: SAAB Abandoned By GM, Files Bankruptcy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go
Not really the old Saab as we knew it, and only for the Chinese market (ATM). Funny that GM refused to sell Saab to the Chinese (and with very good reason IMO), but the Chinese have got it now anyway.

From topgear.com, 15 June 2012.

There was a TopGear segment on the whole Saab story. If you can get a hold of that TopGear episode, it's worth watching. It wasn't really GM's fault Saab went under. Saab played a very big part in their own demise.
What odds can we get that it will shut yet again?

Somebody along this new food-chain will rape/pillage and make a nice fat pay packet

SAAB....Just DIE!
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #225
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Just let it die FFS.