Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
hayley
Starter Motor

Default Deposit paid - can I change dealer?

Will try to keep this brief...
I deposited $500 on a Territory in "Smoke" as well rushed through some paper work and signed it so she could head off on her long weekend (it was a friday arvo). Was told following wednesday that they could not get that colour in for 3 months (can't wait that long), but could get in lightning strike within 3 weeks so I agreed. I have called around and have since found out another dealer out of town can get my first choice in within 6 weeks. What I want to know is if it is legally binding now I have paid a deposit and signed some papers ( I have no copies of them) to stay with this dealer, or can I loose the deposit and change dealers?

Thanks in advance...

hayley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: Deposit paid - can I change dealer?

Probably depends on if the order has been placed with Ford but if the salesperson was in a hurry to leave it may not have been. I would not expect to get your deposit back but more power to you if you do get it back.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
lamborghinifan

cool off period?
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
BAXR8_Ute

As above. I'm pretty certain theres a 7 day cooling off period after signing the contracts where you can change your mind. Not sure exactly what happens about deposits though.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My guess is that it would depend on the terms of the cooling-off period, and whether you entered into a contract of sale with the specific dealership or Ford Motor Company in general, ie. if the dealership is just distributing a product you bought off Ford.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if thats the color you want and signed for they can do a dealer transfer but usualy means that they may need to give other dealer a vehical they dont want to part with eg worth more or different/better moddle thats why they say have to get it from ford and take longer

worked for a nissan dealer once and thats what we had to do

oh and you read your contract there will be a colling off period but if you tell them you'll use it thell prob jump and transfer the vehical from the other dealer for you

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

*You enter a contract with the dealer not with ford moco

*Depending what state your in will depend what options you have qld for instance has "no" cooling off period on new cars and its dealer discretionn to let you out of the contract but I've never seen a deposit refunded on that basis.

Push harder on your origional dealer, they can swap cars between dealerships even interstate, but may have to give up some prized stock of their own to trade but if they want the sale and a satisified customer they will lean on their stock controller to make it happen.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I would be pushig to get what you want. You will always regret not getting what you wanted.
Just go in an explain the situation. If they can get a silver one sounds like they will be going to another dealer as it is. Make sure its not an ex demo or something like that. Is your contract for a new car build, stock, demo etc?
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
hayley
Starter Motor

Thanks for your thoughts. The thing is I don't think I have even signed a contract?? The only piece of paper I was given was a Vechile Order form which just has the breakdown of Vehicle, stamp duty trade in etc and it is still in "Smoke" as colour option- which I found out was going to be a 3 mth wait 4 days after leaving a deposit thinking I would get smoke. I have no official contract as such, i agreed verbally that I would take lightning strike which was due for delivery 30th July. Which makes me think it was coming anyway, not ordered for me...??
Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Deposit is as good as a signature if you want to look at the legal aspect of "do you have a contract with the dealer" answer is yes, if you didn't stipulate on the contract it was subject to a certain time frame then they are well within their rights to advise you it will be a wait etc, if your not happy with that then refer to my last post re options available to you.

At the end of the day the dealer is going to want your businesss especially with how car sales are currently and I doubt they are going really throw their weight around, as I said before lean on them to acquire the car from the other dealership, they have the right to ask and offer a trade of cars to get yours earlier or give the dealership the one they originally ordered for you in a few months time... thats how the system works I was in the car industry for 5 years was always pulling strings with my stock controller to get customers their car earlier.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
hayley
Starter Motor

Thanks for you help, see how it goes down tomorrow...
Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

how is it possible that one dealer says 3 month wait, and another dealer says 6 weeks? aren't they all coming from the same place?
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
hayley
Starter Motor

This is dealing with a country dealership, I called a Sydney dealer that says they have 8 dealerships so therefore more buy power?? Frustrating, all over something as silly as colour but I don't spend $50k on a car every other year so obviously would love my first choice. I just feel like I have my hands tied now...
Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Each dealer has a floor plan usualy ordered 3-6 months in advance so dealership 'A' might have 2 black 1 grey and 5 white ordered as thats what normaly sells, but dealership 'B' might be in brisbane and has 0 black 5 white 2 green and 1 silver soo....

To get a trade they either swap for a different colour to replace the one they want from the other dealership or have to offer something else in exchnge... say another customer at dealership A wants a black xr6 turbo and dealership 'B' has one but only one, they maybe asked to give up that prime bit of stock to make the exchange happen.

All cars once they leave the factory are held on a floor plan which is why you see so many demos as the dealerships reveive kickbacks for putting on demos'/old stock etc and dealership can pass that or some of that kick back onto the customer.

Sorry for a lenghty explanation, there is more to it than that but hope that clears it up somewhat.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
This is dealing with a country dealership, I called a Sydney dealer that says they have 8 dealerships so therefore more buy power?? Frustrating, all over something as silly as colour but I don't spend $50k on a car every other year so obviously would love my first choice. I just feel like I have my hands tied now...

Syd dealer is full of it, they all buy floor plan the cars for the same price except some trucking costs but end result is they have the same margin in the cars but expect the rural dealer to not give up as much margin as they sell less cars... this changes if they have something they want to get rid of or have had for some time, as for getting cars or trading cars they all have the same playing field refer to my previous post as to how they trade cars etc when one has something the other wants.