Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
XR6xhute

Default Why Muilt-Layer head gasket??

Hi, I have a XH XR6 ute. I recently just replaced my head gasket, I got the head decked and everything, but I feel that it doesn't have as much power as it used to. I used a Durapro head gasket kit but I keep hearing about the AU head gasket, I think its AU. Why use that head gasket, and could it be that the durapro head gasket made my compression lower or something?

XR6xhute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

i think AU h/g is thinner there for ups compresion.

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
XR6xhute

Is upping the compression a good thing?
Old 31-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
slickef
Apprentice Fridgey

Have a look on the ACL website for the CopperHead Gasket. 1mm thick and it raises the compression a fair bit, only thing is there about $200, but it's well worth the money
96 EF Falcon Futura, Powered by Microtech, 2222549 Crow Cam, Metal Gasket, Port and Polish, Oversized Forged Valves, EF Fairmont Dash, K&N Highflow Filter, Pacemaker Competition Extractors, 2 1/2 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, Converter Shop 3500 stall, Shift Kit, 4.11 Diff Ratio, Mini Spool

Best ET 14.654 @ 88.270Mph at Benaraby Raceway, Gladstone Queensland
slickef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

yeah more compression is wot u want.

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
XR6xhute

so replacing the durapro head gasket with the multi-layer steel one will up my compression, the reason I'm asking is becuase I don't know the thinkness of the two. Will it make much of a difference because it not I won't bother then.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
slickef
Apprentice Fridgey

go to this site http://www.aclperformance.com.au/For...perGaskets.htm and it is exactly the gasket you need
96 EF Falcon Futura, Powered by Microtech, 2222549 Crow Cam, Metal Gasket, Port and Polish, Oversized Forged Valves, EF Fairmont Dash, K&N Highflow Filter, Pacemaker Competition Extractors, 2 1/2 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, Converter Shop 3500 stall, Shift Kit, 4.11 Diff Ratio, Mini Spool

Best ET 14.654 @ 88.270Mph at Benaraby Raceway, Gladstone Queensland
slickef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
XR6xhute

Ive got a duropro one in now, so if I change it with a multi-layered steel one will I see a difference? I don't want to waste my time doing it.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6xhute
Is upping the compression a good thing?
Imagine letting a fire cracker off in your open palm, you'd get burned but not too bad. Now imagine closing your fist tightly and doing the same thing, you'd nearly lose your hand. Higher compression ratio's really just increase the bang, giving you more power.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #10
DNKPWR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't it also the AU's have different pisions with little dish, thus making more compression!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
Rollin
Banned

If you've already changed the gasket then there is no point doing it again, for the small increase in compression/hp you will get.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post